What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - bigmaz

Hi guys

Not sure if this has been asked before, but just wondering, is there any second hand car options out there that look like they would cost a lot of money to run, but are surprisingly cheap? Just wondering, as I wouldn't want to dismiss any cars because I assume they are too expensive to run. E.g. nice BMW's, 4x4's etc. Not sure if this makes sense or is a daft question, but thought i'd ask :p

Thanks

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2015 at 12:19

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - RobJP

When (note, WHEN, not IF), a second/third/fourth-hand car breaks down, the costs to fix it are not related to the price you paid for it, but on the original 'new' price.

That's from HJ himself, though a bit of a misquote, and it's very wise.

In other words, that RangeRover that is up for sale for £5k might be nice and cheap, but when something goes wrong on it, the bill to fix it will be based on a £50k car.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2015 at 12:21

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - bigmaz

Yeah, thats why I am asking what cars are relatively cheap to run :) I can get a nice 2nd hand Jag for cheap, but couldnt afford the day to day running of it. So was wondering if there were cars out there that look the part, but actually not that expensive to maintain

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2015 at 12:21

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - skidpan

just wondering, is there any second hand car options out there that look like they would cost a lot of money to run, but are surprisingly cheap

Impossible to answer, depends on the car and how its been treated and maintained. Are you feeling lucky?

But there again there are plenty of cars out there that look like they should be cheap to run yet cost lots of money.

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2015 at 12:22

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - Avant

As requested, I've edited out the model heading.

Try looking at a Lexus, which should give you the luxury you're after but with Toyota reliability.

Your nom de clavier 'Bigmaz' makes me think of the Mazda Xedos: a good car that had the qualities of the Lexus but didn't catch on here.

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - Eddy56

I always fancied the Xedos 9, the later one with that 2.3 supercharged miller engine. Sounded like a great motorway wagon. You see them come up from time to time for less than £1.5k. Hate to think what sort of bill any signficant engine trouble might generate, but I'd take a punt on a decent one with history, if you get a few years out of it and it explodes, so what for shed money.

another option would be an XJ 3.2 with an LPG conversion. Again, eye popping bills if it breaks but you might get a couple of years wafting about on the cheap if you find a decent one.

Edited by Eddy56 on 18/08/2015 at 13:11

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - Manatee

Parts for most cars are expensive now. Remember the "rip off Britain" campaigns, following which UK car prices came down 11% relative to other European countries? One of the knock on effects of that was that parts prices went up, as the manufacturers looked to replace the lost revenue.

So I'd look for reliability. A well chosen exmaple of a Japanese make, probably.

Bits for old Land Rovers (the proper ones) are relatively cheap. The trouble is you will need a constant supply.

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - NARU

I'd had company cars for years. The final one being a Mondeo estate.

I opted out of the car scheme and I bought a 'baby' Toyota Landcruiser at 11 months old, in 2008. It cost me £24k at the time.

When I looked at trade-in last year, I was offered £13.5k. So £10.5k depreciation in 6 years. £1750 a year strikes me as rather good. Expenses in that time had been the annual service/MOT, and a set of tyres.

I've decided to keep it, so treated it to a 'mid-life' overhaul. Rebuilt the callipers, changed the oil in the gearbox, transfer box and diffs. Had it dinitrolled (they do rust eventually). Not cheap, but it feels set up for another few years now.

Everything works (indeed, apart from the callipers getting a little sticky, they always did). The only breakdown was a split in a (non-OEM) tyre.

We now live in an area which can flood, so in no hurry to change back to a regular car (besides, I'm lucky enough to have an MX-5 for summer days).

The MX-5 has cost a lot more in depreciation and serving costs - but no breakdowns on that either.

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - Gibbo_Wirral

A friend of mine has purchased high end Volvos and Mercs with moon mileage, but been impeccably serviced, and they've needed the bare minimum during his ownership - tyres, brake pads, filters and oil.

Surprisingly cheap cars to run? - gordonbennet

The golden age for such cars, 80's and 90's designs are getting long in the tooth now, but they can still be found if you search diligently.

One of the last of the Lexus LS400's, GS300's or IS200/300, would be a fair bet, as would a Toyota Camry, obviously they need to have been cared for and not fallen into neglectful or chavvy hands as they approach banger status.