Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - csgmart

I'm half way through a 24 hour test drive of a Jaguar XE S - the 2L petrol 240PS version.

So far so good. I'm generally impressed with the quality of the materials used in the cabin and the way it performs on the road. The engine (currently a Ford sourced unit until Jag's own petrol version comes out - 2016 maybe?) is pretty good, certainly powerful enough but for me it's missing something. I think this is because I'm comparing it to several years of diesel car driving with the low down torque available at almost an instance. However, by the end of a 3 hour drive the petrol engine was growing on me more and more.

The satnav takes a bit of getting used to and I still haven't quite got it tailored for my needs but it's certainly an improvement on the XF I owned from 2010 for a couple of years.

The XE has been critically aclaimed to have excellent driving dynamics and a great chassis - so far I haven't been able to exploit this but I fully intend on doing so on the return journey to the dealer (a good hour and a half from where I live so plenty of opportunities to give it a good test).

Would I buy one? Probably. I'm not keen on getting another diesel (my annual mileage has dropped below the point where it's becoming an option) and the risk with getting a Ford engined petrol version now is that when the Jaguar petrol engines become available will the Ford engined versions drop in value as a result? (could go the other way if the Jag engines are considered no good - unlikely IMO).

I am leaning towards the 3.0L petrol version now (same engine as used in the F Type) which is a Jag engine already. It's about £10k more expensive so that is a major factor against it, however it might just work ......

Now, where's that piggy bank gone........

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - daveyjp
Is anyone likely to sit in the back on a regular basis? We found rear leg and head room very restricted, not a place I would want to sit for longer than a short lift.
Is anyone likely to sit in the back on a regular basis? We found rear leg and head room very restricted, not a place I would want to sit for longer than a short lift.

I know what you mean but I will rarely be carrying passengers so not an issue for me. I'm 'only' 5' 7" so I tend to have the seat quite near the pedals...

One thing I forgot to mention was the boot. It's pretty big (in fact I'd say the usable space was more than my XF) - a lot deeper than I expected. I suspect the rear legroom (or lack of) is partly as a result of the boot size.

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - oldroverboy.

I am leaning towards the 3.0L petrol version now (same engine as used in the F Type) which is a Jag engine already. It's about £10k more expensive so that is a major factor against it, however it might just work ......

Now, where's that piggy bank gone........

Ford engone too originally.

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - Avant

Sounds like a very good car. If I were going to spend the sort of money a new XE costs, I'd want a six-cylinder engine. You might well get a good deal on the 3.0 as the fleets are still largely wedded to diesel.

Sounds like a very good car. If I were going to spend the sort of money a new XE costs, I'd want a six-cylinder engine. You might well get a good deal on the 3.0 as the fleets are still largely wedded to diesel.

Just checking it out now!

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - bernie123

I never understand comments like " you only do x thousand miles a year so you don't need a diesel".

If a driver prefers the characteristics of a diesel engine, in my opinion it matters not a jot how many miles a year that driver does.

I do understand the need for certain aspects of modern diesels to be observed and understood but to say it only makes financial sense if you do over 10000 miles a year is ridiculous.

Privately owned, no new car makes "Financial sense" so if you prefer a diesel, get one.

Privately owned, no new car makes "Financial sense" so if you prefer a diesel, get one.

I agree with your comments, however in this case neither diesel engine on offer makes sense for me (to put it bluntly not powerful enough). I've also got one eye on what this and successive governments are likely to do vis a vis diesel engined cars in cities (Euro 6 probably safe for now but anything older who knows?). Where I live in Bristol the independant major (who is an anti-car extremist) has already floated the idea of road charging to drive in the centre (happy to avoid wherever possible thanks as it's largely a disgusting place to visit). I can imagine he would be happy to ban anything with a diesel engine too.

If a truly accessible and usable electric option (or even hybrid) was available I'd snap their hands off. By usable I mean 250-300 mile range and overnight charging.

Getting back to your point - there is one thing that DOES make sense when considering a diesel. If you only do short trips and rarely get the engine truly warm the DPF will clog and you WILL face billes for many ££££. Fuel economy will be worse than a petrol too as a cold diesel engine eats fuel for a living. So, there is a sound connection between miles driven and choice of engine (driving style mainly).

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - skidpan

I never understand comments like " you only do x thousand miles a year so you don't need a diesel".

If a driver prefers the characteristics of a diesel engine, in my opinion it matters not a jot how many miles a year that driver does.

I do understand the need for certain aspects of modern diesels to be observed and understood but to say it only makes financial sense if you do over 10000 miles a year is ridiculous.

I love the way diesels drive, we have had one, sometimes two turbo diesels on the drive since 1996. Not always done the 12, 15 thousand a year recomended but I can say without any doubt all the diesels we have owned have saved us £££££'s over the average of 5 years we have owned them even when you take into account the extra purchase price (most of which we have recovered at sale time).

But things have changed in our house. DPF's are now standard (have been since 2010) and there is no way I want a bill for £1000 or more just because I don't do enough of the right type of driving. So when I swapped last time I bought a petrol. Its a turbo so its driving charisteristics are actually better than a turbo diesel and its mpg is not much short of what I was getting form the last car. When I did the calcs it looked like the break even point for my current car would be 65,000 miles, since I am only likely to do about 40,000 miles in it it made no sense.

Wife recently swapped from diesel to petrol, hers is supercharged. In the diesel she could average 60 mpg approx on a trip to her mothers. On her last trip in a still tight car she averaged about 62 mpg. She would never break even with the identical diesel doing her mileage over 5 years.

So after 20 happy years with diesels we are currently 2 very happy petrol owners again. Things have moved on and some petrols are way better. Choose carefully.

This is the second half of the review of my extended test drive.

Drove the Jag back in the rain (good visibility all round despite pretty poor conditions). Car felt well planted and safe. Brakes responsive and enspired confidence.

The seats are pretty comfortable. There are many buttons to press / pull in order to configure the seat to your liking.

For a 2L petrol engine I managed to average 46mpg over 75 miles (using display only, not calculated) which is pretty good. That's only about 2 to 4mpg down on my current diesel car (SLK) and with only 4k miles on the clock I'm sure this would improve a little as the miles get added.

I managed to adjust the satnav to my liking for most things but couldn't find the option to turn off "avoid motorways". My route took in about 40+ miles of the M32 and M4 and I was continually being asked to come off the motorway at every junction. Clearly there must be a setting for this but I wasn't able to find it.

The radio was pretty good (DAB as standard) and there are some neat functions on the central display for other things.

I know I've mentioned it before but the boot really was a surpirse - much bigger than I expected. Rear leg room was pretty poor but as for me that isn't a concern as I rarely have any passengers at all.

I've come to the conclusion that if I get one (pretty sure I will but not right now) the 3L engine is going to be the one I get. It is quite a bit more money but you do get a shed load of options added on top of the model level just below it so it makes sense from that perspective. It's also quoted as having pretty much the same fuel economy as the 2L engine. I've 'priced up' a version on the Jag website and it works out around £48k all in. Drive the Deal reckon they can get the price down to £43.5k and I've already had similar quotes from Carwow (no connection to either company).

All in all very impressed with the XE.

Edited by csgmart on 15/08/2015 at 09:33

Jaguar XE - Extended test drive - Petrol 2L (240PS) - Cyd

CSG

Specifically, how did you find the heated seats performance?

And, have you made your comments (particulary about the sat nav) known to the dealer so he came feed them back via the TGW system?

CSG

Specifically, how did you find the heated seats performance?

And, have you made your comments (particulary about the sat nav) known to the dealer so he came feed them back via the TGW system?

Hi Cyd,

I don't think I tried the heated seats from memory (it was a rainy but not cold day). I would imagine they are pretty good (like the XF I had a few years back).

No, I didn't tell the dealer about the satnav. I put it down to 'user error'...