What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.4 auto year 2000, with only 17k mile - Drovers

Honda Civic 1.4 Auto Year 2000, with only 17k miles.
Gave this car to my niece student as they all claim poverty :)
Her local garage says she should have the cambelt changed.
Is age a major factor on these re failure, as book says 72k miles?
(Car was my late mums, Always kept in a a garge and driven....Slowly!!)
Many thanks for any advise

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.4 auto year 2000, with only 17k mile - Railroad.
17,000 miles in 15 years, that's 21 miles per week. The engine is probably an internal wreck, and at that age the first good run it has will probably kill it. It's a bit like keeping a racehorse in a stable all year round and taking it out once a year on Grand National day and expecting it to win.

Low mileage equals high wear, and every bit as much as mileage age is very much a factor when it comes to service and maintenance.
Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.4 auto year 2000, with only 17k mile - skidpan

Before you run it change the cam belt. Too much of a lottery not doing. More than likely it will be OK but there is a chance that the low mileage and lack of use has had a terminal effect not just on the engine. Keeping a car in a garage and driving it slowly does not garantee it will last forever.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.4 auto year 2000, with only 17k mile - Bolt

Its 72k or 8 years and service intervals of 9000 miles or 12 months, when was last service carried out?

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.4 auto year 2000, with only 17k mile - Drovers

Car got serviced by local garage.. (Non Honda) every 6 months oil change etc.. I doubt they did cam belt. Drives/ goes well. I take the points relots of short trips and engine wear. 15 year old rubber belt does start to sound a bit dodgy to me now, thanks for the advise