Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi S - Broken Engine Mount - paulinbelper

My son has recently bought a 1 year old Rapid 1.6 TDi S with approx 14,000 miles on the clock just over a month ago.

Within two weeks of ownership there was a loud knocking from the engine. We called Skoda assist and the car was diagnosed with a broken engine mount (the nut and top of the stud had sheared off) the car was taken to a skoda dealer and a new mounting fitted under warranty.

Now two weeks later, the mounting has broken again in exactly the same way?

Has anyone come across this before? What could be causing the nut to shear off after such a short time of driving? Is there likely to be an underlying issue with the car that should be investigated? should we be rejecting the car and getting our money back?

Any help or advice that members can provide would be much appreciated.

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi S - Broken Engine Mount - skidpan

Something must be missaligned for this to happen twice (or it was a faulty replacement - a bit unlikely).

I would suggest getting the car inspected as it may have been in a serious accident.

Was the car bought from a Skoda dealer?

Hi, the car was bought from Motorpoint, but fully HPi checked so did not show up as being involved in an accident or having accident repairs.

I've been over it and can see no evidence of accident damage or repair.

But, as you say, there's got to be something wrong with it to have gone through two engine mounts in the four weeks that my son has had the car!

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi S - Broken Engine Mount - skidpan

All HPI would show if its been an insurance write off. HPI does not note every accident a car has been in. Serious damage that does not write off a car and has been repaired will not be picked up by an HPI check.

Edited by skidpan on 01/07/2015 at 13:25

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi S - Broken Engine Mount - Falkirk Bairn

Many large company car schemes do not insure their company fleet other than 3rd party. 2 x companies I worked for "self insured" - they paid out less on repairs than the insurance premiums. The last large company i worked for paid > £750 / car for 3rd party only (no F&T even), Comp with £1000 excess was £2,000+ per car - with >3,000 cars it was big bucks.

If the company car has an accident the car is repaired and the company pays if there is no 3rd party to blame.

Car can be seriously damaged, sold to a 3rd party repairer," then fixed" and be back on the road with no mention on the Insurance database as there was NO Insurance Claim!

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi S - Broken Engine Mount - focussed

I would say that there is either a quality problem with the mount, namely the stud, or there is some sort of misinformation in the Skoda system for the torque tightening procedure.

I note that for the Fabia the top engine mount tightening procedure is to torque the nut down to a figure and then wind it round another 90 degrees, which seems a bit brutal for an engine mount stud.

It won't be the first time a manufacturer got torques wrong.

The car has been towed back to Skoda today for another warrenty replacement of the engine mounting bracket and a more detailed investigation as to why we've been through two engine mounts in four weeks. I'll update with progress/diagnosis.

Well it seems that the first broken engine mount was just 'one of those things!", however Skoda Tech is investigating this as it is an unusual occurrence.

However, it seems that the replacement mount broke within two weeks of replacement because the Skoda dealer that did the work (not our usual dealership - the nearest one which Skoda Assist towed the car to) had just jacked the engine up and put in the new mount without slackening off and adjusting the other mounts on the gearbox end. This led to the engine/gearbox not being mounted correctly which placed the new mount under stress - so much so that it sheared off after two weeks.

We're getting the car back tomorrow, but it just goes to show that not all the dealers are the same, and also that some of the grease monkeys in the garage don't have a clue what they're doing! Our regular dearer has been very helpful and made sure that the job was done properly. Hopefully my lad will be back on the road with no further problems for a long time to come, fingers crossed!