What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda FR-V - Honda 1.8i-VTEC valve clearance check - Sulphur Man

Our 08' 55K miles FR-V petrol auto is in for service at a Honda main dealer, who've recommended that a valve clearance check is needed, due to age and mileage.

Any ideas why this is needed? I've never paid for anything similar on my previous vehicles. And what does the work entail, at £80 + VAT.?

Ive googled a bit and the general feedback is that modern engines operate hydraulic valves, negating the need for this sort of check....

Honda FR-V - Honda 1.8i-VTEC valve clearance check - Bolt

Correct me if wrong but I think they are manual tappets on the Vtec as its not possible for hydraulic tappets to work with switchable cams.

I think Toyota are the the same or similar

Honda FR-V - Honda 1.8i-VTEC valve clearance check - gordonbennet

Vtec engine tappets are adjustable, i did them on daughters previous Civic.

Well worth the £80 if that's including VAT, it's a fiddly job....easy peasy to sling a set of spark plugs in whilst its in that partially dismantled state, so if they're due soon it might be worth a haggle about doing them for parts cost plus a very minimal labour charge only whilst they're about it.

edit...hmm see its £80 plus the VAT, negotiate the plugs free fitting? or if you're fairly handy with the spanners neither are difficult jobs, Civic forum gives the sequence you need to follow to make sure the tappets are on the back of the cam.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/07/2015 at 19:05

Honda FR-V - Honda 1.8i-VTEC valve clearance check - Sulphur Man

Great advice, thanks

SM