What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Almera - Almera N16 exploded exhaust - far0n

www.dropbox.com/s/u8gmpq190fhuev7/20150621_175854....0

Driving along doing 70 or so , dropped it down a gear to overtake someone and BANG! Getting it replaced tomorrow but wondered what would cause this? Catalytic converter goosed maybe?

Nissan Almera - Almera N16 exploded exhaust - bathtub tom

That looks like the front box to me (between the cat and the back box).

The car's got to be at least ten years old. What's its history, how long have you had it, has it a misfire?

It doesn't seem too corroded. Did it backfire? maybe a blocked back box?

Yeah it's underneath the driver's seat. No signs of any misfire, but felt sluggish for a while. 05 plate, half decent service history, last one only last week.

Nissan Almera - Almera N16 exploded exhaust - bathtub tom

I had a petrol N16 Almera for nine years and sold it on when it was eleven years old, still with the original exhaust. Yours could still have been the original.

I had one car where the back box collapsed internally. The perforated tube rusted away allowing the wadding to partially block the exit. That became very sluggish and wouldn't rev. The exhaust note at tickover changed from a pulse to a continuous blow.

Let us know what your result is.

Nissan Almera - Almera N16 exploded exhaust - Railroad.
A blocked exhaust can be confirmed by using a vacuum gauge to measure inlet manifold vacuum. With the engine idling, an initial normal reading followed by a dropping needle would indicate a blocked exhaust system.
Nissan Almera - Almera N16 exploded exhaust - Quicksilver

Looks in pretty good condition. Probably bloked back box or some unburnt fuel mixture exploding in centre box.

I guess you are just unlucky.

Q.

Well got the car back, Mechanic said he was fairly confused with it, there was no sign of any blockages or soot. It's running far better now anyway, so perhaps a blockage was blown out during the bang !