What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Diane478

We have purchased our lovely Toyota Yaris from Toyota Listers Nuneaton on the 10th of June 2015, a second hand approved car.

We have purchased an additional service pack of around 500 Pounds, Supagard .We have received a wrong invoice for our car, with wrong specs (mileage is not accurate, nr of doors not accurate, basically we have received a different car!!!!).

We have called to claim the 3 days complimentary insurance and while quoting the reference number we were informed that this does not exist!!!!!!!!!! The registration number of the vehicle was also not recognized by the system and the operator sent us back to the dealer.

In the Supagard package was included a fuel tank, car mats and the interior and exterior of the car treated with special solution to protect paint against wear and tear and textile against stains.

The car was taken without being valeted, it had spider web all over the windows and mirrors and dust inside and spots all over. The windows were covered by dust so obviously the car was never ever washed valeted or supaguarded.

Toyota NUneaton asked us to come back for the third time to give us the carpets and fuel up the car but the whole experience was humiliating and appalling. I was wondering how can a brand like Toyota have this level of incompetence , people paying thousands of pounds for NOTHING !

We had to make 3 trips to Toyota and back to fight for what WE HAVE PAID FOR:

We would like to receive a registration number to our complaint and an official mail in which the measures to be taken against the dealers to be thoroughly explained.

We will also address to all existing legal UK cust protect authorities and attack Toyota UK with all legal means necessary. My husband bought this car for myself as a gift and with the hope that in time, if we are satisfied with the brand we will change the family car to a Prius. Obviously this will not happen for any reason.

Shame on you TOYOTA. SHAME ON YOU ALL.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Avant

Obviously unsatisfactory, but bear in mind that your complaint is against this dealer, not Toyota GB (although you can certainly inform Toyota GB). Generally Toyota dealers have a fairly good reputation, and this one is an exception clearly.

Personally I wouldn't have accepted or paid for the car in that condition: if they haven't had your money they have much more incentive to get things right for the customer.

Edited by Avant on 11/06/2015 at 01:19

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - daveyK_UK

Write to honest John (ask honest John section of the website), write to Toyota UK and to the chief exec of the dealership network.

Try to include the names of the staff you have spoken to.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - gordonbennet

Write to honest John (ask honest John section of the website), write to Toyota UK and to the chief exec of the dealership network.

Try to include the names of the staff you have spoken to.

I have no doubt a politely worded letter to the head honcho at Listers will see swift action.

I wouldn't want to be in the responsible persons shoes at Nuneaton when that letter gets opened.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - JasonNorin

That is why if we are talking about Japanese cars, I prefer Honda and Nissan.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Ethan Edwards

This is totally at odds with my experience of my Toyota dealer. They have been superb. Located in Rayleigh Essex. Conversely not too happy with nearby Nissan dealer.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Engineer Andy

I'm not sure Toyota dealers are generally worse than Honda (probably about the same) and Nissan (probably better), its just that the OP has either found a poor dealership or salesperson, however if either is true, then they won't be doing business for much longer as normally word gets out quickly, especially about marques like Toyota which (like many Japanese marques) takes customer service very seriously, as opposed to the UK and European ones.

Most people expect the buying/ownership experience from a Japanese marque to be far more satisying than others, even if the driving experience isn't one that sets your 'pants on fire' (coming from a satisfied Mazda 3 owner). More frequently the days a whole swathe of dealerships across a range of World marques are owned by one company in an area, so it often depends upon the quality of the management of that firm and within the specific dealership as opposed to the manufacturer.

In my view, the OP should write to the dealer saying they are rejecting the car or (politely) telling them to give them what was originally agreed in writing within 30 days, or the car will be rejected and the entire purchase cost returned in full. If they get no joy, then involve Toyota UK, but they should always do so politely and keep records of all contact (including phonecalls), and always confirming important conversations via email/post (as appropriate) to those involved, in case they later deny/'forget' saying such-and-such.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - borasport20

At the end of the day, the dealer is a franchise and there are good franchises and bad ones -there may be manufacturers that on the whole have better dealers than others, but there will always be some variation

Our local (Regional ?) nissan dealer ?

I've been perusing cars, 2 salesman walking around talking to each other, one comes over and starts asking questions about finance, I say I'm just browsing, not actually looking to buy, he walks off talks to his mate, they have a laugh, the other rep comes over with the same set of questions

same dealer, looked at a car, no indication of engine size (before they all had notes in the window), asks passing salesman if he knows, he tells me, launches into finance speil, I say that doesn't concern me right niw and am told to 'stop wasting his f***ing time'

Same dealer (I should have learnt) looked at a car, was interested in buying then arranged a test drive the following morning with a man whose card declared him the Sales Manager - turned up the following moring to find he was on holiday and his minion had been told not to give me a test drive in a Primera but in an Almera 'as that was really what Gareth though I needed'

Complained, by post and hand delivered letter - still waiting for a response, and I'm sure you can work out is is a while since Nissan dealers had Primera's and Almera's on there forecourts

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Auristocrat

As with any car sale, your contract is with the dealer NOT the manufacturer. So if you are considering legal action, it is the dealer you take action against.

Why, if the car had obviously not been valeted, did you accept it???

The situation has been exacerbated by your not checking the car and ensuring you were getting what you paid for in the first place.

SHAME ON YOU FOR BEING SO NAIVE !!!!

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - oldroverboy.

Auristocrat,

A bit harsh, but not everybody is like you, myself and many "regular" backroomers. I know Doctors and Nurses who have had the same problems.. (supposedly intelligent people)

But I agree with the sentiment,

Shame about tthe final remark.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - scot22

Thanks oldroverboy. It is the tone of Auristocrat's post that puts some people off contributing to forums. I was under a previous username.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Leif

Indeed. Many people are charmed by smooth sales patter, an honest sounding sales person, and promises, only to discover that things do not go so smoothly. Many people don't like to be pushy, and coming across as untrusting, or suspicious. I wish I could say I had never been caught out.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Auristocrat

My post was done in the same vein as the original poster.

The OP was understandably upset at what appears to have been very poor service. Surely there was no need to respond in the same vein.

What had the OP done to you ?

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - nortones2

Not everyone is aware of the legal distinctionbetween dealers and manufacturers, or the law. Maybe the OP lacked the bitter experience that can follow, when a dealer is trusted on the basis of the franchise flag and heavy advertising puff. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Avant

One can of course argue that the manufacturers (or at least their UK agents) should take a greater interest in cases like this, give that their brand name is plastered all over their dealerships.

I think we're all agreed that the OP should write to Toyota GB, but in the context of reporting poor service rather than accusing them of it.

Auristocrat - if you see this, I know that you're a very satisfied Toyota owner, but may I ask if you have any connection with Toyota GB or one of their dealers?

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - bazza

Dealers vary enormously, down to local management competence. I've had great service from Ford believe it or not in recent years, dreadful service from Vauxhall and equally dismal from Skoda last time I had dealings with them. Our local Toyota dealer is absolutely first class. On the other hand my experience with VAG has been so negative that I won't put my business that way again!

I think it would be interesting to have an update. That is if OP continued to read posts ! I hope so because nearly all posts were supportive and sympathetic.

Our experience was fine - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - andyfr

We bought a pre-reg, delivery mileage Auris from this branch two years ago. We live over 500 miles from them, did the deal via email and phone and they were excellent. When we went to collect the car the handover was fine, full tank of fuel, mats and mudflaps all included as part of the negotiation.

We wouldn't hesitate to use this branch in the future. We live in the Highlands of Scotland and the local dealers don't like to negotiate so we usually travel down south for a good deal.

Our experience was fine - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Snakey

Fits in my my experiences with toyota dealers - will promise anything at the point of sale. After that, couldn't care less unless you're back to buy another car.

Shame really as I like my toyota but I'm sticking with independents for servicing and repair.

Toyota Yaris - Toyota Listers Nuneaton - Andrew-T

Dealers vary enormously, down to local management competence.

Absolutely. The conclusion to draw from this sad episode (after returning the car or getting it improved to your satisfaction) is never to blacken this dealer's premises again, not to slate Toyota dealers in general. Just as your contract is with the seller, not the maker, sellers (rather than makers) vary enormously in how they run their business. Usually the better ones stay in business for longer, so maybe you should buy from those.

I hope the car eventually does what you expect of it, and that you don't have to resort to litigation to get your rights.