What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - Fireballxl5
Hi the vehicle has started reving up of its own accord to 2000rpm it's then over responsive on the throttle ang goes very well this happens when sat in traffic. And when started from hot. It does settle down after about a minute
Checked all the small hoses air filter clean ish. Fuel filter changes at usual service interval running with synthetic oil. Returning about 25mpg
Any ideas appreciated
I also have a couple of copies of the UK workshop manual on CD as PDF files. Full specification inc tools needed for specific jobs
thebeeches1@talktalk.net PayPal £9.00
Help identifying the fault with the vehicle much appreciated
Thanks
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - Dwight Van Driver

Have you checked the mats around the accelerator pedal, may be fouling a full return to normal after pedal used?

dvd

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - bathtub tom

Is your oil level going down?

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - hillman

I once had a Vauhall Cresta with organ pedal type throttle pedal and that developed the same problem. I found that the hinge at the bottom of the pedal was fouled up with dust and rust at the back. When I cleaned it the problem was solved.

I've read that diesels sometimes run on when switched off and have to be driven up to a wall, put into top gear and then the clutch slowly released to stall the engine. I think it's somehing to do with pressure in the sump.

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - galileo

I've read that diesels sometimes run on when switched off and have to be driven up to a wall, put into top gear and then the clutch slowly released to stall the engine. I think it's somehing to do with pressure in the sump.

Not pressure in the sump as such, they are running on their own engine oil, often due to failed turbo oil seals allowing oil into the inlet air.

Lots of examples on Youtube, look for "runaway engines"

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - old-school-tech

I have seen this a few times after turbo failure, running the engine up with a new turbo fitted and forgetting that the intercooler was full of oil...lucky if its a manual gearbox...you can over[power the engine and bring it to a stop..not so lucky if its an auto...cross your fingers and hope it will be ok..

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - Fireballxl5
Thanks
That's when some muppet over fill engine oil and a diesels engine will run on its own engine oil
That's not the problem I am experiencing
MK
Turbo seal ?..
This truck is used for pulling a van as well as my work horse
Never experience any problems when towing or on a motorway run. But it's a swine if used for a run to Sainsburys It will rev at 2000 rpm when started after a short park up
Fine when cold. Fine when started 1st thing in morning. But after a few traffic miles she will drive herself with no accelerator pedal input from me
Thanks
MK
Thanks using original genuine mat its held in place by a metal pin so not able to foul pedal
MK
Not any more than normal
Good long runs doesn't use a drop
Stop start town work and maybe 1/2 pint a month
Not an excessive smoker. Replaced the head with a new one about 20,000 miles ago
New valve seals and valves seated etc etc
Thanks
MK
Hi again
Had all the electrical plugs apart and spray with carb cleane dry out and re plug no change???
Any mechanics out there with experience of this and some direction much appreciated
Thanks to all for your reply (don't know why they post out of order
Up Date
Historically I experienced a touch of lazey starting. Doubling up on glow plug time before starting. But as winter is supposed to have gone I thought I could get away with not replacing the glow plugs.
Well Friday morning out here in the sticks saw us down to 2 degrees C. That a no starter then
Tried some second hand vacume thingies bolted to inlet manifold and it started and worked as normal. Left it over w/e. Monday not freezing around 8 degrees No Start?.
Borrowed my wife's faultless Kia and bought 4 new glowplugsy. Hey presto we have life again in the beast.
Will keep you posted regarding the power surge
Again any Ford/ Mazda mechanics out there with advice greatly welcome
I'll be back!
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - andy partington
Hi, I know it was a while ago that you have this problem, but i have the exact same issue with my vehicle. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Thanks
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - a byrne
Hi, I know it was a while ago that you have this problem, but i have the exact same issue with my vehicle. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Thanks

same here, if you manage to sort it could you please let me know.

Thanks.

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - andy partington

Thanks.

I solved this issue on my Ranger, the problem was the Coolant Temperature Sensor which is located on the left hand side of the engine (looking from the front) near to where the heater matrix pipe goes into the engine. When removed it was clearly damaged and fixed the revving issue. Its a 2 pin sensor with a 19mm nut and was around £20. Hope this helps. I have a picture i can send to you for the location of the sensor if you send me your email.
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - a byrne

Thanks.

I solved this issue on my Ranger, the problem was the Coolant Temperature Sensor which is located on the left hand side of the engine (looking from the front) near to where the heater matrix pipe goes into the engine. When removed it was clearly damaged and fixed the revving issue. Its a 2 pin sensor with a 19mm nut and was around £20. Hope this helps. I have a picture i can send to you for the location of the sensor if you send me your email.

Thanks for the info, I'll check mine out too, see if i have the same problem.

I'll leave my email here for the picture, thanks by the way.

[email address deleted as it's a year since the request so contact would have been made by now if it was to happen. Moderators still have it if needed]

Edited by Xileno on 05/06/2021 at 12:12

Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - Maddoglily
Hey all I’ve also been experiencing this exact same problem on my 2005 ranger with Mazda engine could you also send me a picture please many thanks
Ford Ranger 2.5wlt diesel 2005 - Engine revving to 2000rpm in traffic - Xileno

Member andy partington has not logged in since that post last June so may not see your request. I would wait and see if he responds before posting your email address on the public forum.