vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - Artosis

Hi There. I have only had this van a week and starting it is taking longer and longer. Ive replaced the glow plugs, coolant sensor and just now the camshaft sensor. I have no engine management light on. The van has plenty of crank speed and sounds like its going to fire but doesnt. It can take a good few minutes to start. Smoke is being emitted whilst cranking. Once started it drives fine althouigh it lacks power in low revs?? It does start quicker when engine is warm. Any ideas? Thank you

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - elekie&a/c doctor

Why have all these parts been replaced?Were the labels dirty?Modern cars need expert diagnosis to fix them at a reasonable cost.Have you changed the fuel filter?

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - Artosis

Well that isnt the sort of reply I expected. I came on here for advice and help.Keep your sarcastic dirty label jibes to yourself. The parts have been replaced as they are cheap and after trawling the net these parts are usually suspect. All these mechanics do with their diagnostic machines is replace, replace, replace. So unless you have anything constuctive to say then please dont reply.

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - elekie&a/c doctor

On that note,I rest my case.

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - galileo

Well that isnt the sort of reply I expected. I came on here for advice and help.Keep your sarcastic dirty label jibes to yourself. The parts have been replaced as they are cheap and after trawling the net these parts are usually suspect. All these mechanics do with their diagnostic machines is replace, replace, replace. So unless you have anything constuctive to say then please dont reply.

elekie&a/c doc is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the forum.

His advice suggesting that proper diagnosis is likely to be better than randomly replacling parts may not what you wanted but I for one would take it seriously.

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - piggy

elekie&a/c doc is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the forum.

His advice suggesting that proper diagnosis is likely to be better than randomly replacling parts may not what you wanted but I for one would take it seriously.

+1

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - RobJP

+1

I'll +1 that too. "elekie&a/c doc" is very knowledgable, without being smug about it. He is helpful to all.

You, on the other hand, seem to have decided that because part A is often the culprit, it is worth changing it. If that doesn't work, then try part B. If that doesn't work ... etc.

Elekie's first question regarding the fuel filter is highly relevant. But I notice you didn't even bother to answer his question.

Maybe you're such a genius you've figured the fault out yourself ...

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - mfarrow

Black insulation tape works wonders at hiding lights.

You should have a spanner and EML light on at ignition.

It's getting fuel so knows where the cam is, and it doesn't need plugs this time of year so that's the price of a diagnostic gone already.

Full diagnostic done. Nothing shown. Sorry for not replying about fuel filter but that was changed and topped up with diesel. Full pressure at injectors. So now its got to go to the hands of the replace this replace that brigade. Probably somewhere that has the equipment to check valve timing in case the belt has jumped a tooth or 2 after too much easy start? Who knows? I will let you know the outcome so you can inform people who may have the same problem as I have and they try to have a go at fixing their own cars/vans or are on a tight budget. Regards

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - Bromptonaut

No knowledge of this engine's valve gear arrangements but your symptoms are not unlike mine with a Berlingo (see nearby posts)

just been told its not econmomical to repair? FFS I just had my previous van nicked with all my tools in it, I buy another cheapo cos I have to replace my tools worth 3.5K and now this. I'm in the wrong game

vauxhall astravan 1.7 td ecotec 2005 - van turns over for ever before firing - Bromptonaut

just been told its not econmomical to repair?

What's the problem that's not eonomic to repair?

These type of mechanics are the reason I hate dealing with them. They've told me that the valve seats are shot (without even looking) and that the engine has to be stripped down to see the problem. Add that cost to the repair and theyve said that it will cost more than is economically viable. I am totally cheesed off. I have asked many mechanics, mobile and in garages in my area and they basically cant be bothered. I am astounded.