What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Comfy tyres. - Last Hope

Researching-researching always aware of new points of view. I unfortunatelty bought a new Ford Mondeo, to replace our lovely 22 year old Granada. Being the only chain drive engine, it was Hobsons choice. (Can you believe they actually put a rubber band, inside an engine. And some people buy them !) Anyway, it came with Goodyear tyres on 16 inch wheels. Downgrading to a humble Mondeo was bad enough, but the ride was made even worse by the awful harsh little tyres. The consensus of opinion was to change the size of the tyres to 215, and the brand to Cooper. I am not a boy racer, but I can say without a doubt that this combined purchase has helped. It will never be a silk purse etc. I will only be buying Cooper tyres from now on, I can't afford to experiment with others.

Ford Mondeo - Comfy tyres. - gordonbennet

I'm glad you've found tyres that suit you better, though i expect the tyres and the car itself are bigger and heaver than your grannie (superb cars) whilst having no more room inside..:-)

On the subject of timing chains versus belts, i think on balance i'd rather go with the timing belt thanks, seeing how many modern cars now suffer with repeated timing chain problems...i haven't a clue how Ford fares in this by the way.

Belts don't need to be so problematic, nor as complicated or expensive to replace as they are on some makes, but then most cars are designed to be made cheaply and easily for maximum quick profit and to hell with future (after warranty) servicing and durability.

It's cheap build design to drive the water pump (the weak link) via the cambelt, on my Toyota the belt only drives the two camshaft pulleys (they in turn driving 4 cams) from the crank via a tensioner and two idlers, that's it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/05/2015 at 23:12