What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - RichT54

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/91321/diy-car-washing-is-another-motoring-tradition-that-s-on-its-way-out

DIY car washing is another motoring tradition that’s on its way out.

Three in four women and one in three blokes have never washed their cars, according to OSV, the vehicle leasing people. And those who have, do so only occasionally.

I still wash my own car but rarely see my neighbours wash their cars these days.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - 72 dudes

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/91321/diy-car-washing-is-another-motoring-tradition-that-s-on-its-way-out

DIY car washing is another motoring tradition that’s on its way out.

Three in four women and one in three blokes have never washed their cars, according to OSV, the vehicle leasing people. And those who have, do so only occasionally.

I still wash my own car but rarely see my neighbours wash their cars these days.

Agreed, there's a few neighbours who do, but the majority don't. I try to wash my main car at least once a week and I admit to getting a certain pleasure from it.

The growth in car hand washes, especially in supermarket car parks, means that fewer people are bothering to wash their cars themselves. Some of them aren't bad to be fair. The local Sainsburys has a group of Romanians, and for £5 they do a resonable job. I've used them 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years when time's been at a premium.

But shame on the 33% of blokes who have never washed their cars!

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - mss1tw

I wash mine more in winter than summer. I was going to today but then saw the forecast.

At least salt season is over...

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - gordonbennet

Always have and always will.

The set up i have now means i can do all three in the time it used to take me to do one.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - oldroverboy.

sometimes wash, but when I,m near my favourite bunch by the Tesco roundabout in Carmarthen get inside outside washed vacuumed and internal windows done for £15 and 1 was free after 6.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Smileyman

sometimes - more likely in summer than winter - trouble is I'm time poor (daylight hours anyway) and I'm not very tall so need a ladder to stand on to reach the centre of the roof

but I do wash the windows and lights very often....

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - bathtub tom

Always done my own myself.

Had a couple of jobs that involved automatic car washes, so I'll never put mine through one of them. Another job required me to get cars washed by these hand-wash folk. Saw too many cloths dropped and scratches caused as a result to ever let them loose on my car.

I use a brush on the end of a hose and chamois, giving the underside a good hosing. Will only polish a car when it's up for sale.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Andrew-T

The only time I can remember using a carwash was in NZ, returning a very dirty rental car. After the good deed, the hire people said I needn't have bothered!

With my own car I usually wait till it gets rained on, then give it a wipe down. Unless we get a long dry spell and I get embarrassed looking at it. But I do use a stiff brush to get the algae off the window surrounds.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - craig-pd130

I like the interior of the car to be clean and vacuumed, but the exterior gets neglected. In fact, my previous Volvo once didn't get a wash between annual services :-|

But around here there are a couple of hand car washes that do an excellent job with road film remover, then a jet wash, then hoses & mitts, rinse and leather off for £7, which is excellent value.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - madf

In my tenties I occasionally used a car wash. Lots of paint scratches as a result. So I always washed my own cars by hand. Company cars on the other hand.. were almost always car wash.

I take the washing time as an opportunity to remove bee poo, tar and see any chips for touching up later...

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Wackyracer

I wash them myself, Not as often as I should really. Usually wax once or twice a year.

My neighbours must think I'm strange as I have never seen any of them wash a car.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - veryoldbear

Oh dear, do they need washing?

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Falkirk Bairn

In 50 years tried everything :- handwash buckets, handwash hose, powerwasher + sponge. Wash car dry off, wash car leave it.... The occasional car powerwash but invested £150 in my own Karcher....

Nowadays - every 2 weeks

Cannot do it now but go to local powerwash, £5.00 - OK job come back home, hoover, clean / dry sills, give windows a wipe, check levels etc.

Power washer has been adopted by eldest son who says he would wash car for me BUT he is never around when the car needs washing.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - hillman

I wash the car when it is too dirty to ignore then I wash it on the driveway with a hose and soft brush. Lots of water to wash off the grime. The wheels I do with a smaller brush and in the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush.

When the car has been too dirty with old salt and the weather was too bad to do it at home I have jet washed it at the nearby car-wash, mainly to remove crud from the wheels and suspension. That was when I was taking it in for servicing the next day.

I like to keep the inside tidy so I vacuum that more often than I wash the outside.

When I was in Zambia I heard tales of the owner getting the 'garden boy' to wash the car One of the tales was of the owner going in for a beer and coming out to find the cleaner standing on the car roof washing it with the yard brush. That pointed out the importance of clear instructions first. Another story was that the owner of a new Mercedes, just home forom driving the car back from Europe, gave specific instructions, plenty of water first then a soft brush. The owner was away longer than he'd intended and when he returned he found the cleaner sitting in the driver's seat washing the dashboard.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - daveyjp
I have the perfect answer, a silver car. Unless you go off roading in thick mud you never know when it is dirty.

3-4 times a year at the £5 hand car wash is more than enough.
Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - John F
I have the perfect answer, a silver car. Unless you go off roading in thick mud you never know when it is dirty.

Ditto. When it is, I get rainwater from butt and just rinse off with a large sponge immediately after it's rained. Never bother to wipe, it microscratches the paintwork. Polish once a year or two. I do the alloy wheels more frequently, though. Amazingly, the 15yr old ones on our Ford Focus are in better condition than my old Audi A6 were at the same age. Well done Ford!

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - oldroverboy.

I once witnessed a yuppie in Geneva drive his 911 through the car wash and left his sunroof open.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/05/2015 at 22:05

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - bathtub tom

>> washing it with the yard brush

Done that before now when I've come back from a particularly wet trial.

Found it's better to wait a few days and let the stuff dry and harden, it sweeps off much easier then. That's the one of few occasions I'll use a pressure washer on a car. Another's on the wire wheels of an old car.

Edited by bathtub tom on 04/05/2015 at 00:13

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Bianconeri
I quite like cleaning the cars, not so long ago it was a regular Sunday morning job but now I play golf instead!

I tend to handwash both cars that are in regular use every two weeks. I find it quite cathartic and it's a good time to think about stuff. I polish both two or three times a year too. When I do the TR6 it's a real labour of love, all day two or three times a year to get her looking wonderful.

Back in the day I made a few bob cleaning taxis in the school holidays while the drivers got a brew. I always cleaned my Dad's cabs on Sundays in retun for any loose change I found in them and it sort of grew from there.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Chad.R

Yes, usually once in the Winter and once in the Summer.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - thecloser

Yes and surely everybody knows that a clean car goes much better than a dirty one. As with many (but not all, of course) things you get better results doing it yourself.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - primus 1

Never ever ever let anyone but me wash my car even when it goes in for service, I always tell them not to wash my car, the reason? Because if you look at your car in certain lights ( street lighting) you will see swirl marks that come from using sponges, ect that pick up small particles of grit and dirt and get spread around the paintwork of your car. The correct way is the two bucket method , that is one bucket with soapy ( proper car wash shampoo not fairy liquid) water and another with clean water to rinse your wash mitt (not sponge ) plus grit guards at the bottom of your buckets to catch any grit particles, microfiber towels to dry your car after rinsing . Check out you tube there's loads of car cleaning tips on there, ( plus I enjoy cleaning my car regularly )

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Hamsafar

Bit of fresh air and a aerobics on a sunday afternoon - yes I do.

I can do the house windows and doors at the same time if they need doing as window cleaners also seem to be a dying tradition.

Edited by Hamsafar on 09/05/2015 at 12:37

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Trilogy

Wash both myself. Merc is kept pretty well immaculate. Ford gets washed infrequently.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - focussed

Crank up the pressure washer-do the wheels and tyres and under the wings and chassis and then it's through the car wash at the nearest Intermarche, €4 for a wash wax and blow dry. I really can't be bothered to climb about on a step ladder washing the roof and the top of the cab for the sake of €4.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Sofa Spud

There's no point in washing a clean car, so I only wash ours every couple of months or so. But when I do wash the car I try to do a proper job of it.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - drd63

Very occasionally. I washed both our cars today, 1st time in about a year though and it's amazing what you find, see post above about corrosion on three of my 2 year old DS5's wheels and a small sycamore growing from a previously unnoticed dirt trap on my wifes Hyundai Coupe, anyway having resolved that and cleaned out about alf a ton of mud and having had a good look for corrosion, of which there was none, I was staggered at how good the paint work was on a 9 year old, 110k mile car and unlike my Citroen just how good the alloys are.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - V4 Heaven
Yep and I get a sense of pride in doing a good job.
Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - davecooper
I live in Cumbria so the car gets a pretty regular washing care of mother nature.
Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - drd63

And that does actually work if the rain is hard enough. I had a week in Scotland over Christmas, by the time I left the car was noticeably cleaner than when I arrived.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - Chris M

But what about cleaning the inside? Ella doesn't:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/car-free-to-a-good-home-if-you-can-get-past-the-mould-1-6746486

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - groaver

But what about cleaning the inside? Ella doesn't:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/car-free-to-a-good-home-if-you-can-get-past-the-mould-1-6746486

A sweeping statement perhaps, but I think that how dirty you keep your car's interior is a reflection of your own personal hygiene.

Any - Do you wash your car yourself? - the_bandit

Yeah still washing the cars myself but can't help but notice that I appear to be in the minority.