What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - Nismex

First time poster so apoligies for a potentially dull thread :)

Currently have a 1.2 Hyundai i10 doing about 1000 miles per month (75% Motorway, 20% NSL A road, 5% 30MPH) getting on average 50MPG (57.6MPG from manufacturer) according to my fuel logbook.

I had it for 3 years second hand when I was living in Manchester and all my usage was on 30/40MPH built up journeys. But now I need something a little bit bigger/more comfortable.

I am thinking of buying a Ford Fiest Zetec new (never owned a new car before) and fully aware and accepting of massive depreciation. I will be planning to own the car for at least 5 years and have cash to hand plus the current car to part exchange,

Like I said, boring topic :)

But the thing I'm struggling with is making a decision as to Diesel vs Petrol, namely :

• 1.6 TDCi Econetic or
  • 1.0T Ecoboost

Using the real MPG on this site, and the MPG I get currently in my 1.2 I'm coming up with roughly these figures.

• Zetec Ecoboost 1.0T - £13595
  • Zetec Econetic 1.6 TDCi - £14995

£1400 difference.

Assuming roughly

• 50MPG for the Petrol
  • 60MPG for the Diesel

I am looking at breaking even on fuel costs, again very roughly, in 7 years based on current average proces (£1.13 Petrol / £1.19).

If I drop MPG of the Petrol to 45MPG and up the Diesel to 65MPG this reduces to break even around 3 year mark, assuming current fuel prices.

I find myself caught in two minds based solely on the numbers. I hear mumblings on the internet/news outlets that particulates are getting to be a concern rather than just flat CO2 in the future, driving into the centre of urban centres may potentially be subject to charges or bans, e.g. Paris mayor wanting Diesels banned.

How "decent" is the 1.6 TDCi? from reviews and what I've ready/seen says it's a little clattery and maybe not quite as good an engine as the Petrol (which gets it's praises sung).

Anyway, huge wall of text,

TL;DR

Want to buy a new car, potentially Ford Fiesta, 1.0T Petrol or 1.6 TDCi Diesel.

Many thanks.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - Smileyman

Can't advise on the choice of engine, but also take into consideration the insurance and routine maintenance costs - as well as have a test drive for of both versions for yourself, this might help you with your choice - also consider looking at the prices charged by brokers, such as advertised on this web site.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - RobJP

In general, the viewpoint these days is that if you do less than 15k miles a year, go petrol. BUT that's a generalisation. My mum, for example, only does about 9k a year. But almost all her driving is 50-60 mile journeys. So a modern diesel, with DPF, etc. is fine for her type of motoring.

At 12k a year, with lots of motorway use (you say 75%), I'd probably say diesel for you.

But you really need to test drive petrol and diesel versions, and see what you think. Myself, I like diesels. That wall of torque makes for a lovely relaxed driving style.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - gordonbennet

Is this the 1.6 Diesel engine fast approaching repeated turbo failure infamy?...of course they've fixed the problems, apparently, so those makers who use it are putting a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on it? no thought not.

If you decide to go Diesel, i suggest you treat as a bad joke the makers service schedule which might give the impression up to 20k service intervals are suggested...pause for laughter....and change that oil and filter at least half the makers recommended interval...to cut costs you can DIY if you use genuine filters and say nothing to the dealer, but keep receipts as proof, it might help with a future private sale.

Thats not the question you asked, but it might be worth keeping in mind as you'll be out of warranty for 2 years, or more?

A search here and elsewhere about the 1.6 Diesel would be time well spent.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - Eddy56

Another consideration I'd have in mind is how the 1.0 petrol goes on the motorway. The MPG may be fine on the flat at a constant 60 but in real world motorway driving at 70 - 80mph with speed changes and ascents, it might not be so good. I've never driven the 1.0 petrol engine but will it have the oomph for motorway work? I've got a 1.6 ecoboost and find even that a bit flat on the pick up when asked at 70 compared with a diesel. My feeling is the 1.6D will make a far better motorway car.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - concrete

My daughter recently changed from a company car to private and also now only drives 20 miles each way to work. She had previously been issued with diesels, because of her mileage and she liked them immensely. However when looking at smaller cars she chose a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost petrol engine. We insisted on an extended test drive to ensure the car would perform. It exceeded our expectations for performance and the fuel consumption, although not critical to her, is very good. She also bought a service plan through the Ford dealership to guarantee costs for 3 years. 6 months on she is extremely happy with the car and when I borrow it I love driving it too. When my old diesel chariot finally packs in I am tempted to buy a similar car to this one.

Cheers Concrete

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - alan1302

I love driving it too. When my old diesel chariot finally packs in I am tempted to buy a similar car to this one.

Cheers Concrete

I think a lot of people will do when they change their cars as more and more cars are getting these little yet decent petrol engines.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - mss1tw

My brother recently had a the small turbo petrol Fiesta on hire in Scotland (So, hilly) and told me how good it was to drive.

None of the other cars have even been mentioned except for a small capacity Corsa which was "dire"

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - Nismex

So, in case anyone is interested, I decided to put my order in for a new Fiesta Zetec 1.0T in Magnetic gray.

I figure the annual mileage will vary, and won't be enough to warrant the Diesel. Plus I enjoyed the 1.0 on a test drive with 3 adults in the car, it pulled brilliantly on the dual carriageway and will be perfectly adequate for my commute.

I ended up part exchanging my old Hyundai i10 and went a bit silly on the extras.

City pack, alarm, spare wheel, mud guards, boot liner, mats, scuff guards and the 5 year warranty.

I appreciate these aren't that exciting but they cover pretty much all my requirements :)

I'll update again, if anyone is interested, when I receive the car (6 weeks).

Cheers for the advice though! It did give me a lot to think about and after a few visits to the dealer it helped me narrow down what I wanted.

Ford Fiesta - Diesel vs Petrol - Happy Blue!

I think you made a good choice. A friend has swapped out of a very nice TDCi Mondeo for a 1.0 Ecoboost Focus and is very happy. I have similarly swapped out of a TDCi S-Max for a 0.9 TCe Renault Captur and consider the performance and economy of the little triple to be more than adequate.