What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - logger

I have to sell my trusty small frontera sport as my old dog is struggling to jump in the back and it doesnt have a split seat to take my dogs and daughter with us..so...looking for a cheap small estate which has the following :-

- Low boot , big enough for big dog ( 15st ) but no need to be enourmous

- Petrol or Diesel..Only do £5k miles a year

- Sometimes see clients so not too old or rough looking !

- Five door ideally but must have split rear seat

- prefer under £1000

So far I have the following cars ( around 2000 year ) :-

VW Passat Estate

Vauxhall Astra Estate

Ford Focus Estate

Vauxhall Zafira MPV

Ford Galaxy MPV

MG ZT-Tourer Estate

Any help/advice ?

THANKS

Edited by logger on 24/02/2015 at 17:55

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - madf

You want tough, reliable easy to maintain.. lots made. excellent repuation when newish..

Peugeot 406 estate good for 250k miles .. and dirt cheap..

tinyurl.com/pg3lg6v

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - gordonbennet

Agree with madf about 406, also look at Chevvy Lacetti, bargainous, Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord, all petrols.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/02/2015 at 18:18

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - logger

Which 406 ? Petrol or diesel ?

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - gordonbennet

Either, most likely find a much lower mileage petrol for the budget.

Have a poke nose round Gumtree and the Bay.

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - Trilogy

Focus estate. I bought my diesel for £700 with 138,000 miles covered. Now done 173,000. Only need a wishbone link arm and heater fan in addition to regular sevicing. Have toyed with buying a 406 to replace it, but potential electrical problems have put me off. Focus parts/insurance are probably cheaper. 406 is larger and is likely to be more comfortable.

If you go for a Focus, they are great to drive. Check rear wheel arches for rust and that key operates door locks. The latter do get worn.

Good luck!

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - corax

Volvo V40 estate. Tough, reliable, cheap, medium sized. The bodywork lasts well for their age, so still smart looking.

HonestJohn reviews.

Volvo V40. Score 2 out of 5. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/s40v40-1996/

Peugeot 406. Score 3 out of 5. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/406-1999/

Ford Focus. Score 4 out of 5. www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/focus-1998/

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - Gibbo_Wirral

If you find it hard to find a 406, which would also be my first choice, you might find it easier to pick up a 307 estate.

If you do, make sure you get the 90bhp engined model as that won't have a dual mass flywheel clutch or diesel particulate filter, and will be generally more reliable from my experience on the Peugeot forums.

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - YG2007

for a larger estate at this age a V70 or Saab is a good bet. Whilst many will suggest TDi this or TDi that I would stear clear as at the price you want to pay whilst the engines may be good for moon landings the injection systems often dont make it that far and £ 1000 doesn't buy you much in the way of diesel injection fuel repairs. A petrol estate car will be considerably cheaper and more reliable for the money with lower fault risk than a similarly aged and priced diesel vehicle in the £ 1K bracket

At a maximum of £1,000 I wouldn't be buying a Saab/Volvo. These cars can be real money pits, with parts prices to make your eyes water.

N.B. There have been 3 Saabs in the family over last 20 years, so do have experience.

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - Eddy56

My father had a 2002 Avenis which was fantastic. it was a 1.8vvti petrol - oil changes and wear items only for around 13 years of ownership. If I was in sub £1k territory for a decent wagon I'd def have an Avensis on the shortlist.

My father had a 2002 Avenis which was fantastic. it was a 1.8vvti petrol - oil changes and wear items only for around 13 years of ownership. If I was in sub £1k territory for a decent wagon I'd def have an Avensis on the shortlist.

Agree, Avensis of that era is a great car. Local taxi company used to buy petrol versions of these at 100,000 miles and keep them to 400,000 miles. They found them more reliable and cheaper to run than Peugeot/Citroen diesels.

Cheap sub £1000 small estate...help .. - Sam49

I also agree! I had a W reg 2.0 (pre VVTi) as a stop gap a couple of years ago. Ended putting up 20,000 on it in less than a year and kept it longer than I anticipated. Bear in mind it was 13 years old then - it never, ever let me down - an almost heroic performance