What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Bromptonaut

Our older Berlingo, known as Enrico, hit 150,000 miles earleir in the week so it seemed appropriate to pen a proper report.

It’s a 1.9D first registered in March 2005 and owned by us since new. Bought to replace a 1991/H BX 1.9TGD estate that had failed its MoT. Initial intention was for it to be second car to my 2000/X Xantia and was bought on a 3yr/27k miles PCP with a review to replacing both in 2008.

Due to problems with the Xantia in July 2005 it got ‘bumped up’ the running order and was used for the family camping holiday in France. So successful was it that the Xantia never went abroad again and was demoted to station hack and bike carrier. As a result Berlingo went way over the mileage for the PCP and we bought it outright in 2008.

Overall picture is of a comfortable and reliable load lugger that has worn extremely well.

Performance – It’s a 1.9D with a power output of 61bhp so never going to set the world on fire. On the other hand lots of torque and a well matched gearbox mean it keeps up in traffic or on Alpine passes, even fully laden. It can though run out of puff on French m/way inclines (which are steeper than in UK) requiring resort to the ‘vehicules lent’ lane. On level it will happily cruise at 130kph if you leave your foot on the floor, accept the impact on fuel consumption and engine noise. On the other hand if kept just under 3k rpm, which corresponds to a tad under 70mph in top, it’s relaxed and comfortable. That’s fine for us, we won’t drive more than 600miles in a day anyway and a few extra mph on max speed doesn’t give a matching increase in progress.

Achieves best mileage around 45mpg on a good run, poorer numbers round town bring down the overall aerage. Not too bad for breeze block aerodynamics and engine that has to work hard. If we’d bought it for role it ended up in we might have gone for the 2.0Hdi 90 offered for an extra £1k which would have done 40 average.

Equipment and Comfort – It came in ‘Desire’ trim which gave a part glazed roof with two capacious overhead lockers each with a permanently live 12v connector. Very useful for keeping phones, i-pods, mini playstations etc fully charged, particularly when camping where we never had an electric connection. Desire also added tables on rear of front seats, fold down armrests at front, a CD player, integrated roof rails and front fogs.

The seats are trimmed in a blue cloth which, while prone to marking from water spills, has worn very well and cleans easily with proprietary shampoo. No sign of any fraying or sag to any of seats. Three hour sectors are fine comfort wise, though as kids have grown up they’ve found the rear seat padding a little unyielding – cured with a cushion.

The doors on the overhead lockers were a weak spot and would have been £100 each to replace. Just needed to be secured closed with Velcro. No other trim problems and was and remains free of rattles and squeaks.

Front seats adjust only fore/aft and for rake but combined with height adjust for steering wheel all four of us can drive it comfortably.

Air con was an extra we turned down on basis of original planned use. In fact it’s not been missed greatly due to combination of excellent ventilation and low solar gain from silver paint.

In Use – This is where it wins. It’s roamed as far north as the Butt of Lewis and south to the Costa Brava as well as Switzerland and Germany. Although a foot shorter than the Xantia it absorbed our large Khyam tent, two (and sometimes three) teenagers, camping kit and clothing for a three week holiday with ease and still had space for beer/wine inbound to UK. Dog guard (a pig to fit) was installed to ensure luggage stayed in boot under all conditions. Roof load limit is 100kg but in deference to its ‘high vehicle’ status the 400l roof box carried mostly light weight stuff; alloy folding chairs and stools, picnic table etc.

Servicing and Reliability – Service interval is 10k and has been strictly adhered to with some services early in anticipation of long trips. The recent 150k item was the seventeenth in service record. Initially done in Citroen dealer network then by local French Car indy but last was DIY. On it’s third set of brake discs, fifth pads and probably fourth exhaust – they tend to suffer metal fatigue at pipe/rear box join before the box/baffles give up. Tyres do about 30k with new ones going on rear. Local Formula One fast fit usually has good deal on either Michelin or BF Goodrich - £60/£70 fitted and balanced.

The first cambelt started to fray at around 60k due to a failed idler but to its credit belt stayed in place. The fraying made it noisy so quickly came to attention. It was in turn replaced at 140k.

By a country mile it’s the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. Notwithstanding slight issues in cold weather it’s never not started and failed to complete just two journeys. First when clutch failed at around 110k and about 6months later when corroded alternator terminal caused loss of all electrical power. Nobody but me to blame for clutch, I’d been warned at service it was on its last legs. Alternator is a design thing – low set at front of car. Indy though reckoned it should have been capable of at least a temporary repair at roadside.

It’s done last 10k miles in 9 months and we’re happily splitting long distance jobs between it and the newer car to keep latter’s mileage in bounds of warranty. Out to North Devon before Xmas, Plymouth just after and 2*returns to Liverpool for new Uni term. Was up Birmingham onn Thursday and Liverpool and back yesterday.

It will be run into the ground.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - mss1tw

Nice one Bromp! 134,000 on mine now.

Low solar gain though? It's like a mobile greenhouse! (All glass) :-) Mine's silver too, luckily the rear windows can be left open without it being too obvious. Don't want to cook all my Li-Ion tool batteries...

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Wackyracer

Nice to see a good positive review for a Citroen, According to a jealous relative of mine Citroen's all fall apart within 3 years.

I wouldn't mind a Berlingo.

Low solar gain though? It's like a mobile greenhouse! (All glass) :-) Mine's silver too, luckily the rear windows can be left open without it being too obvious. Don't want to cook all my Li-Ion tool batteries...

Point taken about the glass. We're very careful about using a reflective windscreen sunshield when parked in summer.

Mention of the silver paint was by way of comparison with my old dark grey Xantia. Bodywork on that was too hot to touch after an hour or two in strong summer sun - with corresponding effect on cabin temperature. Quite instructive to feel temperature of both when they'd been stood alongside each other in drive. Mrs B, a science teacher, could have used the results for lessons of heat take up.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Avant

"According to a jealous relative of mine Citroens all fall apart within 3 years."

They may do if they're not looked after in the way that Bromptonaut clearly looks after his. French cars aren't rubbish - they are just a bit more vulnerable than some others to abuse and failure to follow the service schedule.

Many thanks for such a detailed and readable review, Bromp.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - oldroverboy.
Maintenance maintenance maintenance.
And someone who looks after his "tools".

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - mss1tw

Too rare these days.

Bromp if you ever need to sell it let me know!

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Wackyracer

"According to a jealous relative of mine Citroens all fall apart within 3 years."

They may do if they're not looked after in the way that Bromptonaut clearly looks after his. French cars aren't rubbish - they are just a bit more vulnerable than some others to abuse and failure to follow the service schedule.

It was something that was said to me by a jealous relative when I bought my Citroen new in 2001, If I remember the exact wording "you'll never see a Citroen older than 3 years old as they have all fallen apart by then"

I still have the car now, Pretty much still in showroom condition. Like Brompt. I always service it on time, Apart from regular service items I've changed the front discs and pads once, Timing belt once and replaced the rear wheel cylinders. It gets an underbody inspection for rust at least every 2 years.

I suppose I can say something did fall off, A self tapping screw came out of the drivers door, which I recently screwed back in (after it being in the centre console for many years.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - daveyK_UK

I am a huge fan of the Citroen Berlingo or the equivalent Peugeot partner tepee

I have noticed Citroen/Peugeot are bringing out a facelift model.

I do find the latest Berlingo to be far superior to the old one, BUT only if you take some of the precautionary measures with the 1.6 diesel such as removing the turbo filter mesh, drill out dpf and let the engine cool down properly after a long drive.

If you get the low powered 1.6 diesel, it doesn't have a DMF either.

Despite the comments I get from the golf course members, I can't think of a better more robust car for my hobbies and interests.

And don't tell no one, but it drives well!

The only car that tempts me is the new Ford Tourneo Connect, but Ford's discounts are non existent.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - corax

do find the latest Berlingo to be far superior to the old one, BUT only if you take some of the precautionary measures with the 1.6 diesel such as removing the turbo filter mesh, drill out dpf and let the engine cool down properly after a long drive.

They should leave that on the dash as a sticky for any new customers :)

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Gibbo_Wirral

I had a Berlingo van from new back in 2000. I did 120,000 miles in it, did regular services and it didn't break down once.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - brignac

It's interesting how some people regard reliability. If my car had left me stranded twice and required FOUR exhausts, and as many brake discs, a change of cluctch, and the other work you describe I'd have been rather fed up. But you, to your credit, seem very happy. All about expectations I guess...

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - gordonbennet

I don't call that a bad record at all, maybe in retrospect a Stainless exhaust when the first one went might have been worth the gamble.

I suspect Bromps discs wouldn't have been changed by everyone, though i'm in the same camp as him in that unless the brakes are near on perfect they get changed, not exactly expensive jobs.

I agree, GB - it's a pretty good record. You might expect - but quite possibly wouldn't get - fewer repairs on a car costing several times as much as the Berlingo.

But, Brignac, if your car has done better than that over the same sort of mileage, do let us know what make and model it is.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Trilogy

The beauty of the Berlingo/Peugeot Partner is simplicity. There are a lot of vans still giving sterling service. A colleague at work has had a diesel van since new. I believe the mileage is 170,000 or more. Next time I see him I will ask about reliability.

Peugeot 406 is much like the 504/405. They just keep going. Not unusual to see a 406 advertised on autotrader with well over 250,000 miles covered. Perhaps this last paragraph should be in the TG Twaddle thread. :)

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - brignac

I drive Toyota Avensis estates - 1.8 petrol - last one had the original exhaust on when I sold it at 198,000. Current one has 125,000 and I think it is the original - I haven't changed it. I bought it at 80,000 and don't think I changed the discs either - pads yes

I would consider four exhausts in 150,000 miles ridiculous but maybe I have just been lucky....

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - corax

I drive Toyota Avensis estates - 1.8 petrol - last one had the original exhaust on when I sold it at 198,000. Current one has 125,000 and I think it is the original - I haven't changed it. I bought it at 80,000 and don't think I changed the discs either - pads yes

I would consider four exhausts in 150,000 miles ridiculous but maybe I have just been lucky....

I'm not surprised that you find the Berlingo record disappointing, the petrol Avensis just goes on and on.

As for exhausts you're not lucky. The one on my dads 03 Avensis still looks shiny and pristine.

I suspect Bromps discs wouldn't have been changed by everyone, though i'm in the same camp as him in that unless the brakes are near on perfect they get changed, not exactly expensive jobs.

You're right there GB. From 2005 to 13 inclusive it went to France for approx three weeks summer hols. Always a 3-4k mile round trip, usually somewhere mountainous - Alps, Massif, Pyrenees or whatever. It was taken to my indy beforehand with request to check brakes, hoses, aux belts etc. If he said pads or discs were near limit they got changed. Might have got a few more k miles out of them but not a chance I'd take.

I've met people on holiday whose cars have broken down including one where brakes failed on Alpine pass. Even with a hire car it jiggers up your stay.

Thanks for coming back to us, Brignac - no surprises that your experience has been with Toyotas. Petrol ones anyway - I suspect that Peugeot / Citroen diesels are more than a match for anything Japanese.

My goddaughter has just spent the weekend with us, coming from Oxfordshire to Dorset in her P-registered Toyota Starlet. It's been in her family since about 10,000 miles and now has something like 180,000 on the clock, with no major failures. A baby is on the way and I was strongly suggesting a bigger Toyota with the £4,000 they have to spend.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Trilogy

Hope the Starlet goes to a good home if your goddaughter parts with it. Another Toyota sounds a good idea. Have youu checked HJ's review for this era. I believe some Toyotas are not as reliable as we think they are.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - John F

Another 100,000m and it will be a match for our old 2l VW Passat estate - original cam belt, exhaust and transmission (auto). Easily and economically self-serviced only when necessary. Hope it makes it - but I doubt it.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Edy galyle
Superb write-up I’ve actually registered to this site just so I could say that.. in all honesty I’ve always read comments from this site as I find it very very useful and informative.. i’m on my third blingo and I absolutely love the b***** things lol
I hope you’re still enjoying yours..
Once again thank you for your review ??
150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Xileno

They don't seem to rust either. The window cleaner that does this street drives a 2001 Peugeot Partner which is basically the same van, a bit dog-eared and unloved but no visible rust on it at all.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - SLO76
I’m a fan of the Berlingo too, especially the Mk I. I believe Steve Cropley, the editor of Autocar still has a 2003 2.0 HDi Berlingo which he speaks very highly of.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/05/2021 at 20:46

Great write-up, much appreciated. But it looks as though all those services and replacement parts must have costa plenty. Further to my Feb 2015 post - the OP's Berlingo is no match for the reliability and durability of our twenty year old 150,000 mile Ford Focus estate. We needed to replace our stalwart 242,000 mile VW Passat estate with something a bit smaller and I thought Ford's Focus a potentially better all round long term car than a Golf despite VW's advertising.

Original exhaust. No repairs needed to (auto)transmission or engine. Original cambelt. No expense and hassle of 'services' (I did oil, spark plugs and brake pads/discs myself). One set of front discs. One set of rear brake shoes. Rear wheel bearings replaced last MoT. New fuel pump and coil pack. Never failed to start or to complete a journey during our seventeen years ownership - although quite a wait for the RAC to replace a blown fuel pump fuse. Exemplary MoT record (X84NJB) until seventeen years old, not too costly to pass subsequently. Is the relatively young 'Henrico' still on the road?

Edited by John F on 29/05/2021 at 09:35

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - badbusdriver

Superb write-up I’ve actually registered to this site just so I could say that.. in all honesty I’ve always read comments from this site as I find it very very useful and informative.. i’m on my third blingo and I absolutely love the b***** things lol
I hope you’re still enjoying yours..

Once again thank you for your review ??

So I'm wondering, is a Blingo the result of a Berlingo being on Pimp My Ride?.

Also, in pedant mode, Bromptonaut says the car, a 1.9D, has 61bhp. It actually has 71bhp. Still not a huge amount of power, certainly compared to the average modern car, but sufficient, and tough enough to withstand the apocalypse!.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Xileno

"It actually has 71bhp. Still not a huge amount of power, "

My experience of the XUD engine is they always felt more powerful that the figures suggested, possibly due to the gearing? They were remarkably good on the motorway, they would take ages to get to 70MPH but once there could sit all day at 70/80 MPH, great for motoring long distances in France.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - badbusdriver

"It actually has 71bhp. Still not a huge amount of power, "

My experience of the XUD engine is they always felt more powerful that the figures suggested, possibly due to the gearing? They were remarkably good on the motorway, they would take ages to get to 70MPH but once there could sit all day at 70/80 MPH, great for motoring long distances in France.

In the mid 90's I worked for a while at a Peugeot dealer in Wigan where they had a 305 van for parts. It had the same 1.9D, and in the few times I drove it, I recall being very impressed at how well it got down the road.

Similarly, in the late 90's, working at a car and van hire place in Aberdeen, we got a half dozen or so 106 1.5D's. I was very impressed by the performance of those too!.

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - Trilogy.

Always liked these but just not quite big enough for my needs at the time.

The most impressed I’ve been by PSA’s XUD diesels have been under the bonnet of the Citroen BX. It was family sized yet lightweight, it rode brilliantly yet handled well and even the non-turbo 1905cc diesel went well enough with just 71bhp and the turbocharged 1769cc with 92bhp. Great engines that date from PSA’s high point.
150 k Miles in a Berlingo - barney100

Well done on 150k, just run 150k up in my VolvoV70. I am fascinated by the anti French car attitude as stories like yours make a mockery of iit. A couple of Neighbours have Berlingos..2003 and 2004 and they seem really good cars.

Well done on 150k, just run 150k up in my VolvoV70. I am fascinated by the anti French car attitude as stories like yours make a mockery of iit. A couple of Neighbours have Berlingos..2003 and 2004 and they seem really good cars.

The French are a bit hit and miss with reliability. The old PSA XUD and early 8v HDi 2.0’s could do huge mileages yet the 1.6 HDi 16v is well known as a fragile engine as is the petrol VTi’s. Renault produced some very tough engines in the 80’s and 90’s, hardy enough for Volvo and Mitsubishi to use them but many later designs 1.9 TDCi and 1.2 TCE are very weak.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Thanks Edy for your kind remarks.

The Berlingo in this thread made about 160k and began to suffer sequential age related issues with the alternator going, clutch again (I suspect the previous was not correctly carried out - release bearing failed) and an XUD 'feature' where the valves need re-shimming to compensated for wear at 120k+ miles. Sorted all those then the steering started to suffer heavy/stiff issues to which proved difficult to diagnose; essentially i was offered a few rounds of parts Bingo.

By that stage I was established as retired and cold afford to replace it. Would happily have had another Berlingo but the current version was too big. As we had one already we knew the height and the way seats were fitted meant my 90 year old Mother could not get in.

Eventually replaced it with a Skoda Roomster in December 15.

We are however still running our second Berlingo - a 2013 HDi 115 in XTRtrim. It's now on around 111k. Been serviced on the dot by a franchise dealer; the cost margin over the indy is worth it for 100% reassurance the right oil etc is used.

Seems to be just as hard wearing as its predecessor, indeed considerably harder as its still on the original exhaust. The clutch is still OK too even though we regularly tow a 1300kg caravan including an annual trip to France. Other than an oddity with Gross Train Weight which could restrict payload but doesn't bother us travelling as a couple, its a good tow car.

Internally it's not as good for cubbies and stowage as the old one - we could not get the panoramic roof variant as, in 2013, we needed it urgently to replace a worn out 150k mile Y2K Xantia. It does though have 5 good seats which can be folded, tumbled to give a flat loadspace or removed individually. With one seat removed two full size push bikes can be stowed with no more dismantling than the bars being turned. The Brompton bikes travel in the boot with parcel shelf in place, one stowed either side and lashed with ratchet straps,

A lot faster on the road than the old one. Main road overtakes are a cinch as we remembered this weekend driving over Skye for the Western Isles ferry.

Mechanically it's still got 100% reliability for dispatch and arrival. It needed a refill of the EOLYS fluid at around 95k but that's routine maintenance.

Three faults so far. First was about 75k when the stalk for asjusting the door mirrors broke. Around 90k a sticky rear calliper needed the rear pads/discs replacing. We should have self diagnosed that before Mrs B (who drives it most while a home) finally heard the metal in metal of pad and caliper. Last October we got a fault light and limp mode after refuelling. Turned out that the EOLYS dosing module had burned its pump out. About £500 fitted for a replacement.

Tyres, oddly for FWD, wear more heavily at the rear - particularly on the outer edges. I did wonder whether it was a fault but the tyre place says it's a feature - they all do it.

Currently on holiday on the Western Isles with it. In a cottage not the caravan, no way I'd like to tow on the single track roads here. Quite a lot of kit for a fortnights stay, including the Bromptons, necessitated tumbling all three seats. My daughter and her husband are op here too in their own car and cottage. No issues at all with four adults on the obligatory Sunday trip to Losgantir's Traigh Rosamol beach yesterday.

At some stage it will need replacing with something heavier so we can tow a bigger caravan. The bed in our Elddis Xplore 304 is becoming less and less comfortable as we age. Still at planning stage and given that 'van plus car will be a £30kplus investment not something I'm ready for yet.

Next service in September I'll probably get the cambelt replaced. Supposed to be good for 150k but better safe than sorry.

Hopefully this review does not temp fate!!

150 k Miles in a Berlingo - brum

150k miles seems to be when things go downhill for me, or perhaps I just get nervous. My experience, mainly VAG cars, are that at 150k, a lot of money often needs throwing at the car, hardly justifiable as theres always that possibility of even more expensive unseen timebombs.

Unless its a very simple car (are there any anymore?) I usually call it a day at around that mileage. Age on the other hand is far less important.

150k miles seems to be when things go downhill for me... Unless its a very simple car (are there any anymore?) I usually call it a day at around that mileage. Age on the other hand is far less important.

Agreed - although one of our old Passats was disposed of at 242,000 having incurred no serious problems. A well made car should easily make 150,000 without expensive repairs to the engine, transmission or suspension provided it is reasonably well looked after. Nor should it need a replacement exhaust or more than one set of brake discs. I am pleased that Bromptonaut reported back about poor old 'Enrico', which after what appeared to be a succession of costly repairs and replacements (why on earth did some posters admire its record?), is now apparently rusting in the great scrapyard in the sky - or perhaps partially recycled into another one? With any luck I have bought my last car, as at their current annual mileage I shall be 108 before 150,000miles is achieved.

@John F

Exhausts depend on usage and will eventually rust through. The Berlingo though, as did the Xantia, had a weakness in that there were insufficient supports for the pipe along its main length leading to flexing and fatigue where the pipe joins the rear box.

Brake discs are, these days, just as much a wearing part as the pads. Nothing will stop then lipping and wearing too thin.

Until it got well past 150k/ten years nothing it needed was unusual. Beyond that point things just wear out If you run an older/high miles car you have to expect that. Shortly after I traded it it popped up in a dealer in Solihull. It was still MoT/Tax until last year.