What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Flashing glowplug light - Hayminster

I have a Mondeo 2002 diesel on which the glowplug warning light started flashing as I was driving home. No other warning light appeared and the car seemed to run normally. I was only on small country roads so I can't say if the performance may have been affected at higher speeds. Also, I can't say if the flashing occurred immediately after starting the car (it was still warm after about 30 mins in a shop car park) or some minutes later as it was a sunny day and I might not have noticed it immediately.
I checked the supply to the glow plugs. The 12V appears when switching on the ignition. After the usual amount of time that the glow plug light would go off, it flashes instead and the 12V supply cuts off after a further 10 seconds or so.
I tried starting the car a couple of times and it did fire but wouldn't continue to run. since the car has always started immediately I assumed that the plugs must be working normally, and that if one plug had failed the engine would start without too much difficulty. It seems unlikely to me, given the previous ease of starting, that it's a glow plug problem but they haven't been replaced in the four years I've had the car and I have no idea how long they have been in there. If I knew what current to expect on each plug I could check that.
I would appreciate advice on what steps are best to pin down the problem.

Ford Mondeo - Flashing glowplug light - Wackyracer

A flashing glow plug light on these cars is telling you there is a fault code present. You will need to have a scan tool connected to find out what fault code it is.

Ford Mondeo - Flashing glowplug light - Railroad.
Common on these are faulty camshaft sensors. They're the Hall Effect type and can be easily checked. IIRC they're about £35 to replace and an easy job.

If the camshaft sensor is faulty would it not mean that the car would have run poorly during my journey home? They don't seem to be very expensive so I wouldn't mind trying one if it's a possible cause of my problem.

I checked the glowplugs this morning. I couldn’t believe it , but I got an open circuit reading. Surely they could not all have failed. I put a meter in series and found that, sure enough the current reading was zero - they really had all failed! Why on earth did the car always start so easily??
I found two old working glowplugs left over from changing the set on a Vauxhall Astra I used to own and lashed them to the supply. They got nice and red hot, but the glowplug light still flashes. So much for my theory that if the plugs had all failed the light would flash.

Does anyone have any further comment to make?

Ford Mondeo - Flashing glowplug light - elekie&a/c doctor
The engine will not start with a failed cam sensor.These tdci engines only need glow plugs to start when ambient temp is below zero.Not sure what meter you are using,but 4glow plugs will draw in excess of 40 amps.It is unlikely they have all failed at the same time.More of a progressive failure.
Ford Mondeo - Flashing glowplug light - Wackyracer

Testing current is not that conclusive, You should have checked the resistance of the glow plugs individually.

Like I have said before, The glow plug light on these is also the MIL so it is likely to be something else and not glowplugs.

Being a mild day, I tried starting the engine. Reluctant, but it did start and after initially smoking a little, the exhaust became clean. After running for a few minutes it sounded as if it was missing on one cylinder.