What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - bullee

i trying to decide which cars is best i have ford fiesta 1.0 80 bps not as good on fuel as it says so im going to trade it in.

iv been looking at new cars fiesta 1.5 or 1.6 diesel but price keeps going up and the insurance groups go up on eco diesel up group 12 on 1.6 tdci

kia 1.1 which not so priced so high and group 4 but undecided

ant ideas on small family eco

ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - Oli rag

Depending on the number of miles you do, the money lost on the trade in may never be recovered.

Do you do 15000 miles a year to warrant a diesel?

Fuel consumption on it's own is only one of the factors - service costs, insurance, depreciation etc must also be taken into account.

ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - oldroverboy.

The Kia 1.1 is not very powerfu according to owners revues.

I got a petrol 89 hp as i cannot justify the mileage and usage pattern of my driving (dpf)

It was £7995 at a year old, rio2 with aircon and all the toys (well most of them) and that saving £4500 against a new one will pay for a lot of fuel and got a genuine (brim to brim) on a 600 milw round trip, its about 40ish around town, but use it less now as have bus pass.

£30 ved group 4 insurance etc

there are lots of small cars available but this one has reliable 4 cylinder chain cam engine and naturally the balance of the 7 year warranty.

As Oli rag says can you justify the extra expense and worries?

ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - oldroverboy.
I got a genuine (brim to brim) on a 600 mile round trip, 45 mpg.
sorry missed that out.
local mixed driving 40ish
ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - Leif
Work out the loss from trading in and if the gains from better mpg are less, don't trade in. Also perhaps your driving style or journey types are reducing your mpg in which case trading in will not be so beneficial. Maybe a more gentle driving style could help, if need be of course.
ford kia vw etc - small economical cars - skidpan

Selling a perfectly good car whose only "fault" is failing to meet your economy expectations and buying a new car with supposedly better mpg will never save you money plus the new car will almost certainly also fail to meet your mpg expectations.

Lets assume your Fiesta is doing 40 mpg and you do 15,000 miles a year. If you buy one of your alternative cars you may well increase your economy to 55 mpg but you will never know until you try it over several months.

Using the above figures the Fiesta will be costing you £1773 in fuel, an alternative £1351 (at todays prices). That is a £442 a year saving.

How much is it going to cost you to swap cars. If you are lucky and it only costs you £2000 its going to take over 4 years before you see any savings. Obviously if you do more miles it will be quicker but less miles and it will take longer. But I expect it will cost much more than £2000 to change.

If you do less than 15,000 miles a year forget diesels.

Ignore insurance groups and only rely on quotes for actual costs. The groups are just guides.

Edited by skidpan on 17/02/2015 at 10:46