What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
less driving - The bus pass - oldroverboy.

Have found, like others here that traffic conditions and parking problems combined with bus lanes and strict parking enforcement has driven me (geddit) onto the local buses for lots of things, so as the bus pass is free i am saving quite a bit and it just happens to be 5 mins to one supermarket and about 15 to the other. even if swmbo comes it is still cheaper than parking in the centre. Colchester isn,t as bad as tooting but it,s less stress to get the bus.

I NEVER thought i would say that.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/02/2015 at 20:45

less driving - The bus pass - gordonbennet

Internet shopping for us, they've made town centres virtual no go areas for car drivers, thats fine by us we don't go there.

Last public transport trip for me on an urban tram to collect the Scooby, i learned all i didn't want to about drugs methodone and benefits, but strangely nothing about work, via a one way mobile phone call from some bod to presumably a social worker/supplier, conducted at such volume that it was impossible to tune out.

less driving - The bus pass - Ethan Edwards

You wouldn't have been so chuffed orb if you were in Colchester tonight. Solid gridlock from 5 till gone 7pm round Balkerne Hill.

You wouldn't have been so chuffed orb if you were in Colchester tonight. Solid gridlock from 5 till gone 7pm round Balkerne Hill.

Swmbo works at hospital ..... 5 mins walk.

And yes Gordon... priced us out of the town centre.... but couple of weeks ago 55 minutes to get out of asda car park. Today walked back faster..

less driving - The bus pass - Wackyracer

My parents now use the bus to go into town as it is free and if they go by car it costs fuel and parking.

In some ways I think I could give up car ownership if public transport was sensibly priced, When I'm at the second home abroad I go everywhere by bus, train, tram, bicycle or on foot. but, it only cost 16p to go around the town by bus.

less driving - The bus pass - alan1302

I have to be desperate to use the bus - the only time I used it in the last year was to pick up my car when it was having a service!

less driving - The bus pass - dan86

the only time I used it in the last year was to pick up my car when it was having a service!

I hate public transport and since my wife isn't working at the moment when my car is in for anything I get her to take me lol.

less driving - The bus pass - Engineer Andy

I find that using the bus is a very variable experience. Working in Central London (I live in NE Hertfordshire) means that I have to rely on public transport to get around as part of my job, but I often find for certain journeys (that there are no reasonable Tube alternatives) that going by bus is the only option to walking.

Some are fine (in terms of getting to the destination in a reasonable amount of time), others, particularly in very congested areas, are a complete waste of time and its mostly quicker to walk, even when that means a 30 min walk!

The other thing I don't like about buses and trains (excepting the 'newer' 2000-stock trains on the Great Northern route to Kings Cross with gaps in between each seat [width-ways]) is the lack of adequate space on the 'seats', both from a width and legroom POV. They appear to have been designed for slim 5ft tall people and below - anyone larger than that (even 'ordinary sized' folk like myself) cannot fit on a 2-seat unit/bench without one hanging well over the edge of the isle seat.

Not comfortable, so I only use buses for relatively short journeys (15-20 mins). Of course, I didn't mention the lack of headroom on double decker buses, and the lack of decent storage within eyesight for luggage/shopping bags!

less driving - The bus pass - FP

There are some journeys that for me work much better with the bus than the car - and with a bus pass, the choice is a no-brainer.

I go to Goldsmiths College in the Lewisham area of SE London usually once a week from the edge of Hemel Hempstead. Buses run every 15 minutes or so. I go to St Albans Station, where the train service, though unpredictable (don't get me started on Thameslink Railways), is frequent.

The bus journey is better - even if I have to wait for a bus - than driving to St Albans and finding somewhere to park. At the time I go (usually mid-morning) the station car parks are full and exorbitantly expensive anyway, so I would need to park on the street about 15 minutes' walk from the station. So in terms of expense and journey time the bus wins.

The only time I use the car is if I return from London late in the evening, when buses are either infrequent or non-existent.

One thing I would never do is drive the whole journey (Hemel to Lewisham).

Edited by FP on 15/02/2015 at 11:00

What tickles me is that it is the very council who make parking so hard who pay for the bus pass. and secondly, I am listening to "The war" on the motorist weasel words and so changing my behaviour.

Yes I am paying less for

car, lower purchase price less vat.

Fuel, less for the chancellor,

VED , ditto

smaller car lower insurance group, less insurance premium tax

less mileage, less wear and tear, less spending on tyres and brake pads and servicing. less vat ...

Nice one! (Mr Osborne & C0) and others

Has there ever been a simple apology for the destruction of our high streets whe the retail parks offer sufficient parking to avoid paying in town.

I don't mind paying for parking but an extra few minutes is payable as an entire hour in the barrier car parks and woe betide anyone a few minutes late at a pay and display. The limited time free parking things are ok but now there are many signs saying only for our customers/ DO NOT leave the retail park.

Are they out to get us, No I'm not paranoid...

less driving - The bus pass - Wackyracer

You want to try the parking at airports ORB, They fleece you when you go in them. £3 for 30 mins £6 for 30-60mins. then it gets gradually cheaper.

One thing that bugs me with car parking is the ticket is not transferable. Personally I feel that is not right. If I pay for a space for 2 hours, Why should someone else be paying again for what I've already paid for?

You want to try the parking at airports ORB, They fleece you when you go in them. £3 for 30 mins £6 for 30-60mins.

Different thing. When I go to collect somebody I go into the airport only when the flight arrivals says baggage in hall. Most places free still to drop off, except Luton a where its not much. If for a holiday long term booked in advance and use voucher codes sourced from the internet.

But it's high St parking the bugbear!

And as I said they are effectively paying me not to use the car!

less driving - The bus pass - meldrew

A bus pass is a great idea but for anyone not living in the South East there is one potential problem. Not many buses. I can get to my daughter's house in less than 15 minutes in a car. The bus is an hour door to door and only one an hour (if you are lucky too!). Still, i have plenty of time.....

A bus pass is a great idea but for anyone not living in the South East there is one potential problem. Not many buses.

If there is a bus service fully agree. Here seems to be about every 10 minutes daytime. Others in the sticks not so lucky
less driving - The bus pass - Leif

I hate buses. I took one once. It cost a fortune, the ticket was much more expensive than the car fuel I would have used, and it took twice as long to get to the destination. Plus they are often dirty, full of ill behaved and/or smelly people.

Good point about councils pricing drivers out of town centres, forcing them to out of town shopping sites with free parking, and then buses are used mainly by retired people with free bus passes. Buses are smelly dirty polluting things pumping out noxious diesel fumes and causing congestion. At peak times they might be full, but normally they are nearly empty, so I wonder how energy efficient they really are compared to a small efficient petrol car?

If the bus is free, you'd be daft not to use it if suitable services are running.

Perhaps the future is driverless mini-buses, so there can be less pollution out of peak times, and on board cameras with each user having an ID so vandalism can be prosecuted.

less driving - The bus pass - madf

To drive to Stoke on Trent centre (Hanley) takes 25 mins out of rush hour. About 45 minutes at Christmas. Parking costs £2 for 2 hours or something like that.

The only time I used the bus it took 1 hour 15 minutes to get there... a circuitous route.

The out of centre shopping places have free parking and take less time.

It requires an IQ less than 100 to realise that town shopping makes little sense and travelling by bus wastes your life..

I hate shopping...but online grocery shopping misses all the bargains and gets sub standard fresh fruit and veg (so I am told).. So I shop in three supermarkets on a Friday morning by car... none in any city centre.

The "save our shops" campaign is doomed to fail.

less driving - The bus pass - Bromptonaut

Some of the 'councils killed the town centres' thinking is a product of past seen through rose tinted glasses.

By the eighties many of our town centres simply could not cope with the traffic generated by their own shopping facilities. Street parking was a lottery; fisticuffs over spaces commonplace. Available car parks were full by 09:30 on a peak Saturday and people queued round the block for spaces. Even if there had been the space and money for more car parks* the access roads couldn't cope. Charging for of street parking and metering/wait restricting roads was the only practicable means of managing and was not always successful even then.

We gave up trying to park in central Northampton on a Saturday and walked the three quarters of a mile from the railway station - where I had a contract ticket.

That's the real reason the out of town shops cleaned up. Even if parking in the town centre was free and available medium sized retail parks, never mind places on scale of Blueside and Lakewater, were so much more convenient.

* In France there was another solution. The space was excavated from under the towns and finance provided by local and regional government. Such intervention was forbidden in UK, only private enterprise was good enough and there was no profit in car parks.

less driving - The bus pass - John Boy

Speaking for myself, I like shopping and find out-of-town retail parks soulless. I think every town should have a park n' ride. The ones I've used, Brighton, Canterbury and Coventry, were fine.

less driving - The bus pass - Armitage Shanks {p}

Cambridge is not at all car-friendly but has 5 Park and rides including one which starts at St Ives and they are all cheap, or free on a bus pass

Cambridge is not at all car-friendly.

Is anywhere nowadays?
I don't disagree, but people tend not to go to local shopping areas, preferring supermarkets with free parking. My local town centre is easy to get to, but parking is charged, so I prefer Waitrose instead. Now the town centre is mostly estate agents, coffee shops, charity shops, hairdressers, etc. I could not do my shopping there if I wanted to. If parking was free, it might create trade for bakers, butchers, cheese shops etc. Assuming they could afford the rates.
And of course many shops went out of business due to online sales, partly due to unfair competition from tax dodgers such as Amazon.