What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - vw mpg

hi recently purchased new vw , the mpg figures we are achieving are alot lower than the figures we where given prior to the purchase,

my question is what are volkswagen salesmen telling you before you purchase a new car for thousands of £s

how did they explain the figures ?

did they us a vw tablet computer to show you the figures?

did they explain how these figures are achieved ?

did they make any ref to personally being able to achieve the figures ?

i would like info on any new vw

thanks

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - Razzy

Published figures will always be very optimistic. In reality you get around 70% of the quoted 'combined' figure.

This is the same for all cars really - not specific to VAG.

What car did you buy and what MPG are you getting?

we purchased a new vw polo 14tdi our combined mpg at the moment is 53 mpg as apposed to the advertised 83+ mpg,this is on main roads with little or no urban use. we drive it as it should be driven,

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - Razzy

Diesel engines take a while to 'loosen up', before this the economy is never great.

It will take a few thousand miles before economy improves

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - diddy1234

My Diesel Rio didn't properly bed in until 9000 miles then the fuel economy improved (only about 4 to 5 mpg per tank full).

This is partley why I am put off buying a brand new diesel next time around.

Buy a six month old or a year old diesel and I wont have this bedding in phase.

i have heard of this before but our 2014 vw polo tdi is only getting 53 mpg combined , it is stated it should do 83 mpg, a big difference, we have covered around 4000 miles, ? we drive it sensibly

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - catsdad
If you look on HJ 's real mpg what you are getting is in line with actual mpg achieved by owners. There's been extensive coverage on this site and elsewhere on the differences between real life and official figures. Having said that the VW 1.4 diesel appears to be one of the worst for the size of difference so I can understand your frustration. Unless the salesman actively misled you - and you can prove this - then you will not be able to get any recompense.
volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - FP

"...our combined mpg at the moment is 53 mpg as apposed to the advertised 83+ mpg..."

Does anyone seriously believe that in real life they will get 83+ mpg?

I thought the irrelevance of these official figures was well-known. Perhaps not.

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - oldroverboy.

I'm shocked........ my petrol kia Rio is only getting 45ish to the gallon instead of the claimed 52. Still happy with that though.

Anyway I thought everyone measured in the same way car on rolling road in a lab virtually no diesel or petrol no clutter and all sorts of little tricks.

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - Avant

Too late to help ypu, but if anyone reading this is thinking about a Polo (or other VAG cars of this size) I strongly suggest you go for the 1.2 TSI petrol. The 1.4 diesel SE has either 75 bhp and is sluggish and more expensive than the petrol, or 90 bhp, a bit less sluggish but even more expensive.

I think 53 mpg is pretty good for this model, given that you must have to use quite a lot of accleeration to make reasonable progress. It should improve a bit with mileage - but 83 mpg won't happen. The salesman was entitled to mention it as it's the 'official' figure but he should also have told you it was artifical and can't be achieved by actually driving a car on the road.

It's not VW's fault either: the problem is the method of calculating fuel consumption laid down by the government, invented by stupid men in suits who commute to London on the train and hardly ever drive a car.

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - skidpan

It's not VW's fault either: the problem is the method of calculating fuel consumption laid down by the government, invented by stupid men in suits who commute to London on the train and hardly ever drive a car.

Nothing to do with the UK government. Its an EU directive and applies to all EU countries. But personally I am more that happy with the current system. The low mpg and CO figures mean low annual VED. If the figuires were realistic we would all be paying more VED and company car drivers would be paying loads more company car tax. You just have to be realistic when you buy. Anyone daft enough to believe a salesman or not read the small print under the official figures deserves all they get.

Edited by skidpan on 06/02/2015 at 18:29

volkswagen - real vw mpg figures - Avant

Thanks Skidpan. Correction - they commute to Brussels on train or plane and don't often drive cars!

With some imagination, which they haven't got, they could still have a sliding scale of CO figures and VED using realistic consumption numbers: the same cars would come out as more or less economical.

But yes, I'm happy with the £30 ved.