What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - hugo2005

hello all,

I am after a bit of advice on behalf of a friend, my friend is a soldier and was posted to germany, when out there he bought a car that was registerd on the british forces system in germany known as a BFG ie the equivelent to a UK MOT.

The car in question is a 12 year old ford ka with 60k on the clock, he got posted back to the UK so de registred the car from the BFG net and re registered it in the UK, once across he relized he had no need for the car, so sold it on to another soldier,

bare with me and ill explain the situation, the car was sold to the buyer knowing the car had no MOT, the buyer was given all prievious BFG test certificates with all advisories all work carried out also was given the opertunity to test drive and inspect the car. the buyer seemed happy a low price was agreed and the car was sold as seen.

4 months later hes turned back up saying the car the car had failed a MOT on welding that needed done and it had the wrong light fitted on the rear, my friend had the front lights changed to UK not knowing the rear ones needed changed, so offered to buy the rear light for him, know the buyer is claiming my friend should pay to have the rear lights changed, and if no will seek to take him to a small claims courst claiming he sold him a unroadworthy car, he bouyght the car knowingly that it never had a mot and was sold as seen the question is where does my friend stand legally.

Also he has been using the car daily knowing it has no MOT on UK roads.

Kind Regards,

Steven

Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - Wee Willie Winkie

I would be telling this guy to jog on.

Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - Dwight Van Driver

If you google Section 75 Road Traffic Act 1988 this may give you some food for thought.

If it was sold 'as seen' and pointed out any defects up to buyer to resolve then that is it.

One presumes the fault with the rear lights is because they do not conform to UK requirements of Con and Use/Road veh Lighting regs as to which side they should be on.

dvd

Edited by Dwight Van Driver on 01/02/2015 at 08:02

Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - RobJP

As Dieselboy has stated, the buyer can safely be told to jog on.

Unless you misrepresent a car (i.e lie about the mileage, describe it as 'in wonderful condition' when its a total rustbucket), then a private seller has almost NO liability to a buyer. Especially the older the car, and 12 years old is pretty old.

Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - hugo2005
Cheers for the reply's,

It was sold as seen and the buyer knew right from the start he would have to MOT it, he has been driving it for 4 months with no mot on it.
Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - slkfanboy

Had the buy if the car had it inspected by the police and they stated it was dangerous the buy could have a claim.

This being not the case your friend is in the right.

Ford Ka - Is the buyer at it - Leif

Threaten to report him for driving with no MOT.

As an aside, one issue about this forum drives me potty. I had typed the first line, then realised that onyl the first 4 characters had appeared. Someone the focus moves away from the text box. Grrrr. This gets me every time.