Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - Trilogy

But who will buy one? Right in Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus territory.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/detroit-motor-show/2015...t

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - gordonbennet

I spent some hours perusing these several years ago on US Ebay motors, a far different/better motoring shop than the UK version, the site i went on had literally dozens of high res large pics of every aspect of the car.

Loads of close up pics of the underside of the car, what i saw impressed me as much as when i first delivered the then new Kia Ceed and checked them out underneath, well built with a long life in mind would be how i would describe them.

The 5.0 litre V8 won't be offered here which i think is a mistake, there is still a market for unusual fast but refined sporting saloon cars from traditionalists who are increasingly ignored by makers, with values usually propped up by a healthy demand for used versions.

Conservative interior i see, no washing machine programming dial rising from the centre console, traditional auto shift lever standing proudly where it should be in a proper car.

I'd have one, the warranty, assuming it follows Hyundia pattern should give the Germans something to worry about from the private buyer, good.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - TedCrilly

A see a serious serious contender for the title of the UKs most depreciating car of 2015.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - Chad.R

Looks pretty good to me - if it had an Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Jag badge we probably wouldn't even bat an eyelid. Hyundai have been selling these in the states for a few years I believe but obviously new to Europe.

Shame about the 5.0V8, as without a diesel option, I would have thought they would need a USP to shift these, considering the well established competition from A6/8, E-Class/S-Class, 5 series/7 series and XF/XJ etc.

I would imagine depreciation to be quite heavy in the first few years - might become a cheap future luxo-barge with Hyundai's build quality and reliability

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - RT

The 5.0 V8 can't currently accept RHD - but that's likely to change when the new generation model comes out.

The whole exercise is being done to further improve the brand image, they won't be selling enough of them to make real money - not yet anyway.

Edited by RT on 29/01/2015 at 20:11

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - Avant

It might stand a chance in the UK if it cost nearer to £30,000, for people who want a big luxury car without paying premium-marque prices for it. As it is, no way is it worth £20,000 more than a Skoda Superb.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - RT

It might stand a chance in the UK if it cost nearer to £30,000, for people who want a big luxury car without paying premium-marque prices for it. As it is, no way is it worth £20,000 more than a Skoda Superb.

How much would an Audi that size cost - that's the market Hyundai's top models are aimed at, not Skoda.

In the US, their Azera, Genesis and Equus models are right up in the premium sector along with Audi, BMW, Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz even though the brand doesn't have the same cachet.

Pity they aren't selling the Genesis coupe here.

Edited by RT on 30/01/2015 at 07:46

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - brighteyes
Thank god, the world is safe, the S Koreans have reinvented the wheel. As nice as it might be it still can't compete with the luxury the European products of Audi, BMW, MB et al. Citroen tried a few years ago and failed and Toyota changed their name to Lexus for their high end products. Badge snobbery is still king when it comes to this part of the market. Let's remember that as good as Skoda cars are since becoming part of VAG they still suffer to some extent from the past stigma of the Skoda badge. As far as the Genesis goes, nice try but no cigar.
Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - gordonbennet

So, Korean fail because it has the wrong badge?

Not so many years ago people laughed at Japanese motorcycles, and then they laughed at Japanese cars, then they laughed at Lexus because they weren't a German premium make.

Not all of us worship at the altar of German supremacy in engineering, though no one can deny the money they spent on creating that image has been well spent.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - Hamsafar

I have been in large S-class/A8/7-series sized korean cars in eastern countries and while they seem nice enough at first, the more familiar you get the more flaws you see with trim quality (uneven gaps), hissing power streering, wipers that make a feint noise on the downstroke, crude infotainment systems and those sorts of minors things that are important to buyers in this class.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - alan1302

Thank god, the world is safe, the S Koreans have reinvented the wheel. As nice as it might be it still can't compete with the luxury the European products of Audi, BMW, MB et al. Citroen tried a few years ago and failed and Toyota changed their name to Lexus for their high end products. Badge snobbery is still king when it comes to this part of the market. Let's remember that as good as Skoda cars are since becoming part of VAG they still suffer to some extent from the past stigma of the Skoda badge. As far as the Genesis goes, nice try but no cigar.

But why is it a 'nice try but no cigar'? All you have mentioned is that many people wont buy somethng with what they perceive as the wrong badge on the car. That doesn't make the car itself bad though.

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - Wukl

I love cars that suffer savage depreciation. And I am very glad there are some people who just don’t care about depreciation and buy a car just because they like it. They are the complete anti-WhatCar? brigade and as such should be applauded for it. I just wish I had deep enough pockets to be one of them!

Flagship Hyundai to sell for £47,995 - drd63
Of course depreciation will be high but that's all to do with image. I doubt Hyundai are planning on selling loads, building image is a long slow process. As an aside I took my Wife's 56 plate Hyundai Coupe for the annual MOT today. 107,000 miles and as ever it passed with no advisories and no preparation. I have to agree with GB that the integrity of the engineering is first class especially in the bits you don't normally see.