Jaguar S-type 2.5 v6 - Automatic gearbox jokts - Alex new
Hi,

I have just bought a 03 plate s-type with 130k on the clock, everything seemed fine for around 100 miles but on the way home from work today as I accelerated joining the motor way from around 20-40mph it started to jolt quite badly, the traction control light blinked and it felt like I slid across the road, not sure weather this was just the jolting or sliding, I rang the garage I bought the car from and all they said is that it needs to warm up? This is the first automatic car I have ever owned, can you please tell me weather this is a common problem with older gearboxes and requires a new one or is there an easy fix?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Alex
Jaguar S-type 2.5 v6 - Automatic gearbox jokts - daveyjp
Any evidence the gearbox fluid has ever been changed?
Jaguar S-type 2.5 v6 - Automatic gearbox jokts - gordonbennet

Sounds like you were on salted roads which had attracted the damp, and formed a very slippery early evening surface.

I think what you experienced was pure wheelspin which felt like judder as the tyres scrabbled for grip and the car running wide, hence the TC light.

As above, no harm in checking see when (if) the gearbox oil has ever been changed, not as i think this is anything to do with the event described, but good preventative maintenance.

Jaguar S-type 2.5 v6 - Automatic gearbox jokts - RobJP

Sounds like you were on salted roads which had attracted the damp, and formed a very slippery early evening surface.

I think what you experienced was pure wheelspin which felt like judder as the tyres scrabbled for grip and the car running wide, hence the TC light.

As above, no harm in checking see when (if) the gearbox oil has ever been changed, not as i think this is anything to do with the event described, but good preventative maintenance.

As said. The S type Jag is Rear wheel drive, and in icy conditions you can induce wheelspin or a slide quite easily.

You need to feather the throttle in cold, damp conditions. Imagine there is an egg between your foot and the accelerator. Stamp, and you break the egg. Be delicate, and the egg remains intact.