What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus headlamps - Craggyislander
Hi everyone
We have just acquired a 99 S Focus 1.8 LX 5 door and I have noticed some slight condensation on the inside of both headlamps. Its just a small patch on both and is on the sweep of the glass above the reflector where it runs back towards the windscreen.
I have checked the seals, there is no lens damage so I was wondering has anyone any ideas as to whats causing it?
Thanks in advance

John
Focus headlamps - Marcos{P}
I have noticed that most cars with plastic lenses seem to collect condensation as my wife's focus does as well as my new merc.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Focus headlamps - mal
Yes, >> I have noticed that most cars with plastic lenses seem to
collect condensation as my wife's focus does as well as my
new merc.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Vouch for that also, same on our Honda Jazz and Civic, not a big problem as it soon goes away so not a lot to worry about.
Focus headlamps - L'escargot
Hi everyone
We have just acquired a 99 S Focus 1.8 LX 5
door and I have noticed some slight condensation on the inside
of both headlamps. Its just a small patch on both and
is on the sweep of the glass above the reflector where
it runs back towards the windscreen.
I have checked the seals, there is no lens damage so
I was wondering has anyone any ideas as to whats causing
it?
Thanks in advance
John

I had this on my April 1999 Focus. Fortunately I had bought it new and the fault occurred during the warranty period. My dealer told me that on some early cars, the mountings holding the headlamp unit onto the vehicle (sorry I can't be more specific) had been overtightened when the car was built and that this had resulted in the body of the headlamp cracking. This allowed moisture to get into the headlamp unit. The unit was replaced under warranty and the problem has, to all intents and purposes, disappeared.

L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Focus headlamps - henry k
Have just got a V reg Ghia 2.0 with same problem.
No idea what causes it but you can try the following
I just removed the plastic cover on the back of the headlight
(the normal one to access the bulb)
Left the cover in the hall and left the Focus in the sunshine
for a few days. Condensation went so replaced cap.

It worked for me a week or so ago but I do not know if it will return. The car had been on a dealer's forecourt for I think a few weeks so the lack of use might have been a factor
good luck
Focus headlamps - timp
I have the same problem with my 99T Focus - one headlight is fine, the other has condensation. I also tried removing the cap and drying it out, but the condensation came back.
Focus headlamps - L'escargot
I have the same problem with my 99T Focus - one
headlight is fine, the other has condensation. I also tried removing
the cap and drying it out, but the condensation came back.

Doesn't this tend to bear out the statement made by my local Ford dealer on said subject ?

L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Focus headlamps - Dave_TD
I've just got an 01X Primera to use for a month, stuck it through a carwash last night and it came out with condensation inside one headlamp lens. Lifted the bonnet and found that the rubber cover on the back was tucked down the side of the battery, presumably where someone had changed a bulb in a hurry. Put the cover back on, and drove the car all night, letting the heat from the bulb dry it out. No condensation in that headlight now!
It most probably is just down to lack of use, if you get the chance to drive your Focus for at least 3 or 4 hours with the lights on the problem will most likely go away.
Focus headlamps - J500ANT
A lot of new(er) cars with prism/ellipsoidal headlamps (like those on a Fiat Punto for example) have headlamps that are apparently designed to allow some air through as the heat caused by the bulbs against the glass prism lens (not the "glass") could in theory melt the plastic "glass". And no, this wasnt what the Fiat dealer used as an excuse, it was an Audi dealer!

Tony :)
I have the same problem with my 99T Focus - one
headlight is fine, the other has condensation. I also tried removing
the cap and drying it out, but the condensation came back.

>>
About a month ago the problem returned.
It did not go away so this week I tried playing a gentle heat from a hair drier on the unit but it had a very slow impact.
I once again left the cap off and after one day, when it rained, with lights on for a few hours it has once again disappeared.
I am prepared to accept that the unit may have a crack which I cannot see but it is most odd what conditions are required to get the condensation back.
Focus headlamps - pmh
This will not be appear to be a real problem for now as the heat will probably keep vapourising the moisture, until it cools down again. However over a period time I suspect that the reflector will deteriorate to the point where headlights become useless, probably ultimately causing an MoT failure for uneven brightness or loss of pattern. (Had this on a 240, even using a 100watt bulb would not overcome dullness).

Nice little earner for the maintenance depts once every three years! and I guess modern lamp clusters only come as a complete sealed unit at a price!

Back to 7" sealed beam units for cost effective motoring!

pmh (was peter)
Focus headlamps - Aprilia
Modern headlamps do not need an 'air flow' through them to cool them down, that is nonsense.
If there is moisture in the headlamp unit then it has a flaw soemwhere that is allowing moisture in. I would check the unit over very carefully - noting that any rubber seals are correctly located. I would also seal any suspect joints with clear silicon sealant.
Moisture will eventually lead to tarnishing of the reflector which will cause a dim or 'diffuse' beam - this is an MoT failure and a new unit will not be cheap!
'A stitch in time saves nine'.
If there is moisture in the headlamp unit then it has
a flaw somewhere that is allowing moisture in. I would
check the unit over very carefully - noting that any rubber
seals are correctly located. I would also seal any suspect
joints with clear silicon sealant.

Aprilia
I will try to find if there are any cracks.
I have not noticed any wetness on the top of the unit when the bonnet is open. There is significant condensation above the the beam area ( as per first posting) and a lesser amount within the beam area. Fortunately the appears to be none on the reflector.
I have noticed that there is a sealing strip on top of the lamp unit. This is a thin rubber strip bonded to a strip of hard plastic. The plastic is attached to the lamp unit with Spire? clips. It is designed to seal along the edge of the bonnet to the headlamp unit, I guess to stop water being forced up under the bonnet by the airflow over the lamp unit.
On the side with the condensation the rubber is coming unstuck from the plastic. I am not convinced this damage is a factor in the problem.
I guess I can either attempt a repair or replace it.
My first thought on a repair is to silicone glue it.
My concern on replacing it is how to remove the spire? clips.
They fit onto several small pips moulded into the top of the light unit. What is the best method? A..try to gently bend up the little teeth. B..Try to cut the rim with side cutters then open up the clip.(a little concerned if the shock will damage the pips) C. Any other methods.
Focus headlamps - kithmo
henry k, I think you're right there with the lack of use comment. My SWMBO bought a 2002 Focus in Sept 2003 which was just a year old and only had 1,970 miles on it. This had condensation in the headlamps at first but with regular use it's now gone.