Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - bananastand

Hi y'all, not spoken for a while which must mean I have had trouble free motoring!

I have. Except for one thing.

We have a Santa Fe 2006 petrol 2.7. One owner, bought last year. A great drive, very cheap to buy. Auto. leather, powerful, smooth, fantastic. It hasn't lost any oil or coolant. It is going in for a service soon. The only thing is I am 6 feet tall and it is built for, er, SMALL PEOPLE> I CAN'T STAND IT.

I REALLY CAN'T.

I do not advise anyone over 5' 10" to buy this. I do long miles and my legs are killing me because i just can't stretch out. I am seriously going to change because I just won't fit!!! Just - so - cramped!!!

Apart from that. what a great car

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - RT

Hi y'all, not spoken for a while which must mean I have had trouble free motoring!

I have. Except for one thing.

We have a Santa Fe 2006 petrol 2.7. One owner, bought last year. A great drive, very cheap to buy. Auto. leather, powerful, smooth, fantastic. It hasn't lost any oil or coolant. It is going in for a service soon. The only thing is I am 6 feet tall and it is built for, er, SMALL PEOPLE> I CAN'T STAND IT.

I REALLY CAN'T.

I do not advise anyone over 5' 10" to buy this. I do long miles and my legs are killing me because i just can't stretch out. I am seriously going to change because I just won't fit!!! Just - so - cramped!!!

Apart from that. what a great car

You must be a funny shape then - I've a 2011 SF and I'm 6'0" and have no trouble - comfortable enough to drive for 10 hours with the tin tent on the back.

But like all car purchases, check out things important to you before you buy.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - Ian D
Banana stand, is yours a 2006-2010 model or the up to 2006 one? Big difference in size between them, the 2006-2010 one I found fine at 5'11"
Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - corax

I have the same problem with my Forester. Not that tall at 5 ft 11 but I find the driving position cramped.

So it might be back to European for me.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - Bromptonaut

In pretty well all these debates proportion is more relevant than height. Very long or very short legs make a huge difference as to how one fits in a car.

My wife and daughter are both around 5 feet. Mrs B's short legs mean she's uncomfortably close to wheel in most ordinary cars. She struggled with my Xantia and with a friend's Passat we drove while supporting their JoGLE ride last summer. Daughter OTOH fitted comfortably in both.

I assume the OP has tried all possible seat adjustments but I found raising the driving seat of our 2013 Berlingo vastly improved the cramping of my left hip that occured when it was at its lowest.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - Happy Blue!

I'm 5'7" and my old Forester fitted me like a pair of old slippers - perfect.

My wife and I are of similar height. I found her A-Class awkward - she found it great.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - oldtoffee

I had a 2011 Santa Fe, still in the family. I'm 6'0'' - used to he half an inch taller - how'd that happen? Anyway I fit it fine and find it ideal especially with the electric seat adjustment. It took me some time to get used to having my head pushed forward more than I expected by the head rests. I've done some 10 hour drive backs from France and no issues. Compared to my overly firm and poorly designed (for me) previous Passat's seats I'd take the SF any time.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - Engineer Andy

Its amazing how many people forget about the ergonomics when deciding to buy a car (I realise that, at least in the past, some features may not have been available [e.g. reach adjustment on steering wheels, height and lumbar adjustment on seats] except on more expensive models/cars in general).

I soon learned this the hard way - by getting severe back problems from driving my first car (1996 Nissan Micra), just because I had the seat one notch too far back (it felt fine when driving) so I was stretching to reach the pedals and not having my rear firmly against the back of the seat (essentially I was slouching). My back problems went away within a few days of adjusting the seat. I was very grateful of the copy of a colleague's car (a Vectra) manual section showing the best way to get the optimum driving position.

Before I even bother with a test drive, I make sure the seat/steering wheel position is fully adjustable and that the pedals and steering wheel aren't offset (at least by any apprecable amount). If the car doesn't meet that criteria, and has a decent footrest, then I'll reject it, however good it is in all other respects. I also make sure that I go on a long test drive on all types of roads (including poor surfaces and winding country roads) to ensure I can reasonably gauge how good the driving position is as well as general comfort (ride).

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - daveyK_UK

If you want head and leg room, the van based MPVs have ample room, by far the best compared to any other sector of vehicles.

I suspect, without checking, it's the last run of Santa Fes before the model change. There is limited scope for seat adjustment on the driver side and less on the passenger side. I am genuinely amazed at how short a distance you can push the seat back, considering the huge amount of room in the back.

OW MY LEFT KNEE HURTS.

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - RT

The HJ Car-by-Car Review makes no comment on your issue www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/santa-fe-200.../

Hyundai Santa Fe - great car but only up to 5' 10" - Dabooka

I'm 6' 2" and had no issues driving or being driven in my step dad's '10 plate. A nice motor, considered buying it from him at trade in time but the missus didn't fancy the interiot much.....

That's not to say your problem downstairs exist to you of course, more that maybe there's an issue somewhere with your car?

my 06 Santa Fe is one of the last before the model changed, if that helps. The driving position is just cramped and that's that.