Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - honestdonny

My car has covered 35000 miles from new and I am informed by Mercedes that I am due an oil and filter change on my automatic gearbox.Is this necessary or is it just another way of Mercedes Dealers extracting money from their customers?

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - pd

If you intend to keep the car long term and take it to high miles it is well worth doing.

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - RobJP

If you intend to keep the car long term and take it to high miles it is well worth doing.

Agreed. You don't have to change it, obviously. But changing the oil will make it far more likely you'll avoid REALLY big bills in the future on the gearbox.

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - gordonbennet

A good MB indy will have the equpiment to do this, and probably a lot cheaper.

Isn't this amusing, a few years ago they were filled for life, U TurnsR-Us.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/12/2014 at 16:33

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - Wackyracer

A good MB indy will have the equpiment to do this, and probably a lot cheaper.

Isn't this amusing, a few years ago they were filled for life, U TurnsR-Us.

They probably still are filled for life! Just both your and my idea of a cars life is alot longer than the manufacturers.

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - cws

MB have chopped and changed the guidelines on ATF changes numerous times. Official word is (or was!) a change at 37.5K mileage - then some dealers recommend changing again at 37.5K intervals and others say one change is enough! 'Sealed for life' is pure nonsense..........just like 25K oil change intervals!

I have a C Class with the same gearbox (5G) and change the fluid every 40K. If you go to an MB independant garage ensure they have MB Star diagnostic system (officially it's needed as part of the fluid change process to ensure the ATF temp is correct when checking the level - not sure if any other generic diagnostics systems can be used to check ATF temp??) and ensure they change the filter/sump gasket. Also ask whoever does the change to check the Pilot Bush seal - this is the part/seal where the electric loom goes in to the auto box and leaking seals can result in oil travelling up the loom and wrecking wiring/gearbox ECU.

Mercedes Benz CL500 Automatic .(Manufactured 2009) - Oil change on automatic gearbox - daveyjp
A CL500 would be close to a £100,000 vehicle when new. Champagne cars aren't for those with lemonade pockets.