What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta freestyle 1.6 Zetec Overheating - Ford Fiesta - overheating - pettsy

Hi Fiesta owners.

My Fiesta Freestyle 1.6 Zetec 2001 Y-reg

I don’t normally post thing, but so pleased I have now fix the problem I just had to share it with you on here.

My Ford Fiesta developed a heating problem after changing the Anti freeze, ( nothing to do with that ) To cut a long story short, I change the thermostat 3 times a ( Ford part 82deg - BGA Gaskets 92 deg - Ford part 82deg ) as I was sure it was this at fault, as the ( bottom hose was cold most of the time = input to Rad from Thermostat ) & the top hose was red hot. Talking to the manufactures of the thermostat asking for a lower temp Stat, No such thing, only 82deg. and by talking to lots of mechanics and others. you nome it and it was sugested to me. The only way i could get about was by having the heater on Full and the Fan on Full. On my third attemp at changing the thermostat in a weeks.

I decided to MODIFY the Thermostat by making a small hole 6mm in the thermostat housing ( where there is a small ball bearing ) Insatl with the Hole at the Top. and hay presto it works fine OK now. NO Fan coming on, No Temp gauge off the scale. The heater takes just a little longer to heat up, but thats Ok.

I hope this help all other with the same problem. I was pulling my hair out. lol

Lenny Hertford

Ford Fiesta freestyle 1.6 Zetec Overheating - Ford Fiesta - overheating - Bolt

Not so sure you have cured the problem as the hot water will enter top of rad, as it cools it goes to bottom of rad then to engine, from what you said you have partially bypassed the thermostat

if it was overheating its possible you may have a partially blocked rad, but as it was overheating further investigation is needed,

Ford Fiesta freestyle 1.6 Zetec Overheating - Ford Fiesta - overheating - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think you have a faulty heater control valve.Has this been replaced recently?

Ford Fiesta freestyle 1.6 Zetec Overheating - Ford Fiesta - overheating - pettsy

Hi Bolt.* Ele..

Thanks for the feed back, You could be right about the flow direction of water. i.e Top to bottom. But I have noticed that the bottom hose now gets hot, and it was cold be for I modified the Thermostat to fixed the over heating problem. I have taken it out on a long run on a motorway, and kept it in 4 th gear. and worked it hard. The Temp gauge just reaches the mid passion. – normal - if I turn the heater on full, it lowers the temp just a bit. If any thing the car is running a bit cooler than is should. So would advise a 3mm hole mod to the Thermostat stat. and not a 6mm hole. Its all working fine now. ( Heater works fine. Cold or Hot ) so the HCV must be Ok. I did have a faulty HCV on my last Fiesta, this current fiesta is my forth. over 26 years. all from new. This current Fiesta is now 13 years old and I love The poor old thing.

I did test the flow though the Rad and that’s fine, the Engine water flow is also good. I fitter a new water pump when I changed the timing belt a year ago. Ford say change it at 100k it had only done 70k and good job I did change it, as it was about to go.

I have also just changed the front wheel bearings. bottom suspension arms, and Top suspension strut rubber insulator on the front suspension, It would have been just as good if I had cut 1/8” off the metal spacer – ( Top mounting insulator rubber ) under the damper. to close up rubbers and the gap. but its done now. cleaned up the macpherson strut and springs – and sprayed with black hammerite. all ready for a Mot in 6 months. This car is starting to cost me money & time, and don’t enjoy mucking about with cars now days.

Thanks again for you input and help..

Ford Fiesta freestyle 1.6 Zetec Overheating - Ford Fiesta - overheating - Railroad.
The coolant flows from top to bottom on all cars. The hottest part of the engine is the top of the cylinder head, heat rises. Coolant flows into the radiator and falls as its heat is given off into the passing air. The bottom of the radiator is cooler than the top, and returned coolant goes into the engine block to cool it once again. The thermostat can either be located in the flow at the top or in the return at the bottom. In either case it's essential that it's fitted the correct way round. The wax bulb always points to the engine block. If yours is fitted the wrong way round the engine will overheat.

Thanks .. The Thermostat has alway been fitted the right way round. 4 times now. lol and its working fine. after a small hole was driled in the Stat. ( best is a 3mm max. ) try it next time you have a over heating problum that just cant be fixed by other means. I am not saying it will work on every over heating problum, but it worked on My Car.