What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo MK4 2.0 TDCI Diesel 140ps. - Ford Mondeo auxiliary belt problem - Graham567

I have a Ford Mondeo mk4 2.0 diesel on a 59 plate and have very stupidly managed to dislodge the auxiliary belt off one of its tensioners.I cannot get the belt back on myself so I have a mechanic coming tomorrow morning to tow the vehicle to the garage but i was wondering if the experts among you could help with a question i have.

Rather than towing the car to the garage without running the engine could i do the following....

If i cut off the aux belt completely then according to my knowledge it drives the air conditioning pump,the alternator and the power steering pump, would it be safe to drive the car to the garage? ( 3 miles away)

As far as i can see the water pump is driven off the cam belt(is this correct?) so that shouldn't be a problem.What drives the oil pump?

So as far as i can see i would have no power steering and no alternator but would have powered brakes and water and oil pumps working.Is this a correct assumption? and rather than towing the car with no power brakes and no power steering (nightmare but dooable) this seems like a better idea?

Any thoughts on this

Edited by Graham567 on 02/11/2014 at 17:29

Ford Mondeo MK4 2.0 TDCI Diesel 140ps. - Ford Mondeo auxiliary belt problem - elekie&a/c doctor

The car can be driven with aux belt off.You will have no alternator and a/c and no pas which may be a struggle.The water pump is cambelt driven and the oil pump is not a problem.