What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Ed V

"The truth is, Ford quality is at least as good as BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes. It just isn't perceived as such." Honest John's own view, stated toa query from a reader about why the prestige brands don't make SUVs.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - csgmart

"The truth is, Ford quality is at least as good as BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes. It just isn't perceived as such." Honest John's own view, stated toa query from a reader about why the prestige brands don't make SUVs.

This may well be true but I've experienced Ford's so called customer service and it beggars belief sometimes. I'd rather pay more for a car and get treated with a modicum of respect - although paying more is (I grant it) no guarantee of this.

Off topic (but connected to customer service) - I had the (mis)fortune to travel from London Paddington on a late-ish First Great Western train back to the South West last week. One of the passengers (an elderly gentleman dressed very smartly) brought to the attention of the attendant in the buffet car (a misnomer if ever there was one) that the toilets in the carriage were filthy, didn't flush and in a shocking state. The attendant responded by saying the customer could phone a number to report the problem if he wanted. The elderly gentleman then proceeded to pick the poor attendants limbs off (verbally) one by one. The line which shall live with me until the day I die is "If you've ever run a business you'd understand the true meaning of customer service".

Nice old chap he was - he even apologised to some of the passengers in the carriage on his way back to his seat, for raising his voice. I really should have got up and shook his hand.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - alan1302

Nice old chap he was - he even apologised to some of the passengers in the carriage on his way back to his seat, for raising his voice. I really should have got up and shook his hand.

He took out his frustration on the wrong person though - the attendent will have been doing what he was told. It's the management that need the dressing down.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - csgmart

He took out his frustration on the wrong person though - the attendent will have been doing what he was told. It's the management that need the dressing down.

I agree and disagree (and I was there to witness the scene remember). If that had been me I would have simply said that I was sorry to hear the toilets were in such a state (no apology offered by the attendant by the way) and would have promised to bring it to the train manager's attention. That's all it would have taken to passify this chap. Why should the customer have to spend time calling the train company when there are staff on the train who he can alert?

Where the attendant was wrong was by not apoligising - if (and it is an IF) the process is that the customer has to call the phone number to report the issue then yes, I agree the management need educating (but I'm not convinced this is company policy).

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Avant

You and the elderly gent are quite right. It really is no good for an employee like this attendant to say it isn't his/her fault: they represent the company and they are the person facing the customer. There is far too much of the 'not my fault' rubbish is so-called service industries nowadays - BT are a particular offender in my experience.

There is always a train manager on each long-distance FGW train, and the buffet car attendant should first have apologised and then asked the train manager to come and speak to the gent who complained.

Unfortunately they know they can get away with it as the customer mostly has no choice of operator (except, oddly enough, in my part of the South-West where I'm 3 miles from Gillingham (2 hours to Waterloo) and 10 miles from Castle Cary (1.5 hours to Paddington). That is, if I want to go to London in the first place.....

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - drd63
Why would anyone not want to go to London?
Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Firmbutfair

Surely there should be emergency spillage and toilet cleaning staff on any train journey of more than one hour? The fares are expensive enough to cover the cost of regular inspections and remedial action on such journeys.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Trilogy

Amazing how quickly this thread has gone off topic.

Why would I want to go to London? I go to Sydney more often than London even though I live in England.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - RT
Why would anyone not want to go to London?

It's expensive, congested and full of non-Londoners - and doesn't have anything of value that can't be found elsewhere in the UK.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Bianconeri
Ford's customer service may be poor but Audi charge you much more to treat you with utter contempt in my experience.
Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - sandy56
Personally I have always found my local Ford dealer to giver very good service.
Audi was good but very expensive, and Toyota the same good but expensive.
Would |I buy another Ford- probably.
Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - jc2

I have never had any concerns with customer service-my current Fiesta was built in Cologne-unlike many DB and BMW which are built in the third world!

I have never had any concerns with customer service-my current Fiesta was built in Cologne-unlike many DB and BMW which are built in the third world!

It's unfair to regard the United States and South Africa is "third world"

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Ed V

It seems this went "off-topic" from the first response, and never made it back to the carriageway. Oh well.

Ford's concept of quality is built to specification - and they're very good at it - it's said they were horrified during the "due diligence" stage of buying Land Rover from BMW as there was no sign that BMW had done anything to improve LR quality during their tenure as owners.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Manatee

I don't know about the current BMW and Mercedes product, but it's pretty clear that Audi products (separate from dealer service) are unlikely to be much better or worse in terms of quality than the other marques that share the same parts bin. Volkswagen Group as a whole is getting a reputation for producing unreliable engine and gearbox technology and then not standing behind it.

The best car I have ever owned was a 2002 Honda Civic that I foolishly sold this summer. Apart from a battery failure at 8 years, nothing went wrong with it in the 12 years we had it.

Unfortunately the current range doesn't appeal.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Engineer Andy

I think a lot of people genuinely get confused between the fit and (particularly) finish of cars and the engineering quality behind the dashboard and under the bonnet.

One of the current 'concerns' many owners of German marque cars seem to have is that, despite the outward appearance of 'quality' (tight/consistent shut lines, plush soft-touch interiors, chrome and leather), that the plethora of electronic gadgets, toys and new engine designs that appear (IMO and possible a good deal of people) seems to have been fast-tracked onto vehicles with minimal testing (especially together), as most of the problems appear to be associated with them.

Through reading through this and other motoring websites, it appears as though this sort of thing is much more common these days - a bit like with the constant updates on I.T./AV equipment and mobile phones, all requiring constant software updates (not anything to do with security) to fix 'bugs' because IMO they rushed the product to market to get ahead on sales from rivals based on the look and anticipated features of the equipment. Cars seem to be going the same way, although the Japanese/Korean marques appear to be more reluctant to go down this road, especially following relatively recent faux-pahs on the reliability front from some.

As an engineer I find it sad that so many people either are so easily taken in by the sales pitches or feel compelled to have 'the newest X, Y or Z' to be 'top dog' in their social circle/at work. I have no problem where people use the styling of cars when buying them, but surely they need to use a bit of common sense before spending effectively over half the annual net income on one purchase.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - Happy Blue!

"As an engineer I find it sad that so many people either are so easily taken in by the sales pitches or feel compelled to have 'the newest X, Y or Z' to be 'top dog' in their social circle/at work. I have no problem where people use the styling of cars when buying them, but surely they need to use a bit of common sense before spending effectively over half the annual net income on one purchase."

The OP's point came from a question to HJ in which he was asked why no 'prestige' manufacturer makes a car like the S-Max. Its a good question. I have many friends with Volvo XC90s or equivalent cars and yet they do not need them for their 4x4 abilities and the S-Max has more room, is better to drive, has better performance/economy. But because it has a Ford badge and not Audi, people only want the Q7 beast.

The prestiage manufacturers need to find a way to persuade its customers to buy their products and offering large, high, heavy 4x4 is the way to do it, as no-one will buy a copy of the S-Max if the original is so good. When Mercedes tried it with the R-Class it bombed.

I look at the new modesl S-max coming next year and it is clear that the original design is so good that the only changes are tinkering around the edges, with some news engines and internal trim, but the basic shell is pretty similar.

Any - "Prestige" makes versus the rest - jc2

Most of the RHD come from SE Asia,tho' some from S. Africa.