Used Car MArket - current state ? - Surrey_Scientist

Currently looking to buy another car, having finally got rid of my Subaru Legacy that had a big engine fault..

I am looking for another large, automatic estate car, preferably Jap/Korean, dont want to spend a fortune, maybe £5k max. Toyota Avensis/Honda accord type vehicle.

Used market seems terrible at the moment..... If you want to spend £12-15K there are plenty of just-off-fleet vehicles. And if you want something thats done 120K+ miles theres a reasonable selection, but virtually nothing in-between.

Anything that looks half-decent is selling in a few days, and I only can view at the wekend due to work commitmments which means anything Im interested in is going before I can view it.

I am making the assumption that people are really feeling the pinch so only selling vehicles when they have to ie. if theres an issue. (I'm certainly in thisposition..)

I'm also in S London just inside M25 and there is hardly anything local unless you want a Ford or Vauxhall (I dont)

What are other peoples experiences. ?

I had thought withthe new reg-chhange in Septemebr there would be more p-ex's coming onto the market, but if anything ther are less vehicles appearing on autotrader that catch my interest..

Used Car MArket - current state ? - gordonbennet

Suggest you buy a £3/500 banger for now if nothing crops up soon, and wait till the weather gets bad mid winter before looking seriously.

Good cars are fetching serious money at the moment, Outbacks like the one i bought late March are now fetching 30/50% more than i paid on the bay of e.

You may have to buy long distance, i bid bought unseen off ebay and travelled by train 150 miles to collect, i liked how the ad was written (literate) and in the flesh so to speak the car was as described, no regrets.

I suggest this because the best cars are being snatched up by foreigners working here and taken back with them, Estonia Poland etc, then there's the third world exports which have been depleting good used stock for many years now.

Also i believe there's an increasing number of us that do not want the latest cars stuffed with goodies that you can do nothing with, and are buying good 90's designs (early noughties build) with a view to keeping them long term.

Only my opinions of course.

Used Car MArket - current state ? - oldroverboy.

Good cars are fetching serious money at the moment,

Also i believe there's an increasing number of us that do not want the latest cars stuffed with goodies that you can do nothing with, and are buying good 90's designs (early noughties build) with a view to keeping them long term.

Agreed, there is a shortage of used cars that fit the bill for me too, so unbelievably am hanging onto the Cruze. At the end of the day, it does what it is meant to do and returns approx 39.9 mpg on a motorway run, and what i want is a pre-reg/up ti 1 year old manual petrol non turbo 4 cylinder saloon (or at a limit) estate. so bought some foam cushions for the cruze as the only real fault it has is the hard seats.

If it goes on like this will buy a sanderos basic 1.2 petrol and hire for the odd occasion....

Used Car MArket - current state ? - Surrey_Scientist

I had thought about buying a banger and waiting...

whens the best time to buy ?? Just after Xmas.... when people have zero cash and weather is bad so people want to stay indoors and not go out looking for cars?

Used Car MArket - current state ? - NARU

I had thought about buying a banger and waiting...

whens the best time to buy ?? Just after Xmas.... when people have zero cash and weather is bad so people want to stay indoors and not go out looking for cars?

Auction prices tend to be lowest in November.

Used Car MArket - current state ? - gordonbennet

Maybe have a shortlist of suitable cars and keep scouring the usual sources, sooner or later during the winter that bargain will crop up that someone needs to shift, it's when you need one in a hurry that you never see that elusive gem.

Used Car MArket - current state ? - NARU

I guess the new car market crashed in 2008, so there won't be many 2008-9 cars out there.

Used Car MArket - current state ? - madf

Now is the time to buy 4x4s... unwanted in summer.vs winter