What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - Steamdrivenandy

Can anyone explain why Ford's quote such very, very low towing weight limits for both the Tourneo Connect and Grand? They appear to vary between 750kg and 1200kg when an average loaded caravan weighs circa 1500kg.

These are van based cars and as such are surely built very strongly and appear to use powertrains that handle much higher weights in other Ford cars.

Am I being cynical when I think it might be a marketing ploy to limit their appeal and force tuggers to choose more expensive (? profitable) CMax/SMax/Galaxy/Mondeos instead?

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - jc2

No-it's more likely they quote the LEGAL requirements.Not always used by others.

All manufacturers have to specify a maximum towing limit and if there isn't one specified then the car maker doesn't recommend the car to tow - think Cooper S with its central exhaust where any towbar would be.

It still doesn't answer my question as to why the limits are so low. You'd expect a van to be able to pull large weights but these are miniscule.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - gordonbennet

Connect van is a reasonably light vehicle, no bigger or heavier i expect than a current Berlingo/Doblo.

Primarily designed to carry loads, not necessarily pull them.

I've just checked the Ford van website and the van versions appear to all be limited to 1200kg towing, so it's not just the car version. I wonder how many will be used in future years for pulling 2000kg loads of bricks by builders who'll have no idea of its limitations? Ford even offer to factory fit a towbar, which sort of reinforces the belief that it's a good towing vehicle.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - Bromptonaut

1200kg is on par with a Berlingo's 1300, not looked at the Doblo.

There are lightweight vans available from manufacturers such as Xplore and Adria as well as the truly compact models by Eriba and Trigano.

After a period where cars gained weight, mostly as a result of crashworhiness requirements they're now getting lighter again. Caravans OTOH get heavier as builders add more kit. Plenty of owners of ordinary cars will be towing over the advisory 85% van/car weight ratio; at least one participant in my towong course was going straight to almost 100%.

Out on a site ATM. A lot of the bigger Bailey, Lunar etc outfits are towed with 4x4 types.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/09/2014 at 09:59

I appreciate your points but the low limit is an absolute and nothing to do with the car/caravan weight ratio. Sure there are a number of small caravans available, although recent Eriba Trolls have a 1300kg limit but my point is the Tourneo Connect makes an ideal towcar with masses of storage space and surfaces that will withstand a relatively hard life, but it can only pull less than 10% of the caravans sold in the UK. I'm certain there's a massive towcar market waiting for it, if only Ford would beef it up to pull 1500kg, oh and offered an automatic diesel drivetrains as in option too.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - daveyK_UK

The OP is correct, the tow weight is poor. The car version is a very tempting package when you include the Ford discounts

But the deals on the Citroen Berlingo multispace make the Ford Tourneo MPV look expensive

The best offer I've had so far is a discount of 12% for cash and 16% if I take Ford finance.

That equates to £2,200 off a 115PS diesel manual Zetec for cash and £2,950 off for Ford finance. That's £16,295 for cash and £15,545 for finance.

How does that compare to a Berlingo?

I've just checked on DtD and their best price for a 115PS Berlingo is £16,152, so they're close, but the Ford has more luggage space and is a 2013 launched design whereas the Berlingo hails from 2008. Plus it's a Ford.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - Bromptonaut

I've just checked on DtD and their best price for a 115PS Berlingo is £16,152, so they're close, but the Ford has more luggage space and is a 2013 launched design whereas the Berlingo hails from 2008. Plus it's a Ford.

That looks pricy compared with Perrys advertised prices for 'in stock' models. One at MK is £13,495 though I suspect they'd add someting for the metallic paint that the car is practically unobtainable without.

The 'lingo also has its own towing trap as vehicle's max gross weight plus max towing weight bust it's plated gross train weight. Can only tow up to a tonne wihout losing payload from the car. No way it can tow a 1300kg 6 berth Adria 'van AND accomodate the family of five it can sleep.

I understand this is a French 'thing'.

As to reasons for the Ford's low tow weight I'd suggest structure, weight/balance/traction issues or limitations in transmission (potential DMF troubles).

Mmm several Perrys branches appear to have 115s at £13,990 and one has a white one with Modutop at £14,990. I don't think I'd pay an extra £1,000 just for some roof windows and storage boxes.

That's £2,000 in round figures, cheaper than the Ford's best offer.

OK, so I've decided not to tow with a Tourneo Connect, but it still makes an excellent dog van. I've gathered in some good quotes from dealers, but Ford don't play fair.

My wife won't drive anything but an automatic, so I have to get automatics, just in case etc.

Ford, in their wisdom, only make automatic available in the top trim spec., which all reviews agree is OTT and the mid spec would suffice. So when I do the costings an automatic costs more to purchase, costs more to tax AND does v poor mpg. No wonder they appear to have sold none, or at least there are none on Autotrader and if I want one it's a factory order, delivery mid January.

As to the costs - on my mileage the running costs of a TC manual 115PS are £1,250 a year and the full costs are about £4,000 a year. The automatic, on the same mileage, has running costs of £1,750, or 40% more whilst the full costs are £5,350, or a third more. That does seem to be a helluva premium just to be able to avoid using a clutch.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - greenmarine

Latest spec shows braked trailer maximum of 1200 kg so this will do for me with my Elddis whirlwind gt dated 1992. Currently tow with ctroen grand c4 Picasso. Expect to be a little slower but going for the 118 HP diesel version so should be fine. Need the space for carrying extended family.

Edited by greenmarine on 04/05/2016 at 12:27

Ford Tourneo Connect - Abysmal Towing Weights - Ian_SW

The problem is that the Tourneo Connect is a car derived van derived car if that makes any sense. What I mean by this is that the Tourneo van is based on one of the smaller Ford car platforms (probably a Focus, might even be a stretched Fiesta). This is why (in van form) they have very low payloads compared to your average Transit type van.

Once 7 passengers are in the 'Car' version of the Tourneo, and the extra weight of the bodywork is taken into account, you already have something which is probably about 400kg heaver than a fully loaded Ford Focus. This then leaves very little left for towing capacity.

You also get the same problem with the CMax, albeit slightly less because the bodywork is lighter.

I think the limiting factor in (braked) towing capacity these days is often the ability of the vehicle to set off from stopped on a very steep hill at full load. The smaller capacity turbocharged engines are less good at this than their larger capacity non turbo predecessors.