Should I buy a small car? - Happy Blue!

My firm has moved offices and parking is limited to a small rear car park with narrow access and narrower spaces. My S-max takes up too much space and we could probably park two small cars where mine goes.

The journey to the new office is six miles of urban main road north out of Manchester with 30 mph speed limits and no obvious open road.

I am tempted to buy a cheap petrol run around and leave the S-max in the drive unless I have further to go and need my SatNav, Bluetooth etc etc. If I spent £1,000 am I being sensible? I want short and narrow so an old boxy Daihatsu springs to mind.....

Should I buy a small car? - gordonbennet

Very sensible, yes an old Daihatsu would do the trick, or a (and you probably won't want to hear this) Matiz would be good too, very narrow, they even come, rarely, with a proper torque convert auto box which is a nicer and smoother drive than you might expect.

Also, it will be older but IMO one of the best small cars ever made, Toyota Starlet (wouldn't be surprised if shares underpinnings with Daihatsu of similar age), again a good auto offered of which there are quite a few, many of these bought by older folk and you can still find the odd one or two family owned examples....Yaris very good but might have been through several hands by the time its at this budget.

Don't rule out a decent Pug 106, petrol or Diesel, about the only place they rust is under the rear floor above the suspension arms, easy to douse in oily muck.

One little Diesel car that seems to be sung the praises of is the VW Lupo (Seat Arosa similar but might be smaller Diesel), i know nothing about them other than from posts i've read on several forums, seemingly a quite big (1.7SDi) NA Diesel runs easy under the bonnet of some giving good economy and effortless low revved torque.

This might be what i do too but for slightly different reasons, it seems a shame to put my old MB through the worst of the annual salt bath,she is 18 now after all, two days a week i can't take the Outback as SWMBO looks after grandaughter.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/09/2014 at 09:09

Thanks

I was having a look through Autotrader and found the usual Fiesta/Corsa suspects, but the odd 1.0 Yaris, and a few few Polo Sdi's. Seems quite tempting. What would the RFL cost be I wonder and insurance. Is it worth it - or should I pay to park a few minutes walk away........I have never paid for parking before and it seems a waste to start now.
Should I buy a small car? - Chris M

Good idea to get a small, cheap car if parking is tight especially if you want to avoid parking dinks on your SMax. Even careful drivers can find it difficult to get out of their car in tight spaces.

How tall are you? At 6'2" I find 3 door small cars better as it moves the B pillar back and gives me more shoulder room. A Mk2 Panda is near impossible for me as my right shoulder is pressing against the pillar. My 3 door C1 works well as not only it is slightly wider anyway, but also my shoulder is ahead of the pillar.

Not sure I'd agree with GB on the need for a diesel. Six miles at 30mph - it might have just about warmed up by the time you get there in the winter. Not ideal from the comfort factor, but also the safety aspect i.e. iced/misted up windows. Plenty of small petrol engined cars around. Economy can't be that much of an issue at 60 miles per week.

I'm a short a**e at 5' 7". Therefore four doors are better than two for me. I like the idea of a Mk2 Panda, but none for sale near me for the price I want to pay. Seen lots of 12-15 year old Micras, most of which are one or two owners and only 45,000 miles. Under £700.

I could get into bangeromics.

[edit]

oooh! - just seen a nice and clean Matiz for £850. Quite a few still driving around our area. Must be bombproof.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 04/09/2014 at 11:44

Should I buy a small car? - Chris M

Personally (assuming I fitted!), I'd choose a Panda over a Matiz any day. Small Fiats are easy to repair with loads of spares available from breakers to enable you to fully enjoy the bangernomics experience. Matizs will be a bit harder to find.

Should I buy a small car? - Alanovich

I'd be after a Suzuki Ignis.

Should I buy a small car? - Gibbo_Wirral

To support what gordonbennet said, I'd also recommend a 106, I'm after one myself at the moment. They're more bomb-proof than the 206, I've seen some immaculate "P" reg models with no wear on the interior, even though they're decades old and done over 100,000 miles.

And because the market is flooded with 206s because they're a little larger, quieter and comfier, the 106 is being overlooked by buyers.

Have a look around the usual sources, I just missed on a one owner from new, 51 plate 106 with just 40,000 miles on the clock for £440 last month.

The only drawback is some dealers thing they're worth their weight in gold and think they're worth £1000. A dealer near me has had one on his fourcourt for the last seven months. It originally started out at £1400 and is now down to £850.

Should I buy a small car? - gordonbennet

Ignis is a good shout, as is WagonR and identical Vx Agila.

Useful little boxy load carriers for tip runs etc.

Should I buy a small car? - John Boy

Not all small, but all of them are narrow:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/data-bank/data-bank-nar.../

Should I buy a small car? - drd63
6 miles each way, great opportunity for fitness, how about a bike or a decent pair of trainers?
Should I buy a small car? - Avant

I wouldn't fancy a 6-mile bike ride either side of a long day's work! Although a scooter is a possibility, but not great in the winter!

Definitely go for petrol and four side doors: a two-door is a pain in a narrow car park. For me it would be a Fiesta or a Yaris - a Fiesta because there are so many around, abnd better to drive than a Corsa, a Yaris because nothing soldiers on like an old Toyota. Maybe up the budget a little, given that I think you decided to keep the S-Max, and look for a 1.3 Yaris.

Should I buy a small car? - HandCart

Or the old Suzuki Alto with the 1100cc 4cyl engine.

More likely to rust than a Daihatsu Charade, but usually cheaper to buy, and Suzuki dealers still exist, if you need the odd part, whereas Daihatsu dealers don't.

ONLY came with 4 doors.

Economical, AND only £30 a year road tax.

Should I buy a small car? - SteveLee
But if you buy a Yaris you'll be spending more on the car's reputation (less metal for the money) many small Daihatsus share the engine and much running gear with the Yaris, are cheaper to buy and are just as reliable. Kill two birds with one stone (winter hack and commuter car) and get a Daihatsu Terios (the 2nd gen MK1s with the Toyota engine(2000ish onwards)) you'll pick em up for a grand and they don't go wrong - when the white stuff falls you'll still get to work thanks to the four wheel drive and increased ground clearance. They can suffer from surface rust which isn't usually structural. Other than that the Sirion and Charade are perky even with the little engine because they are so light - up to 60mpg though not on your short journey.
Should I buy a small car? - Leif
Be careful, my Micra started costing a fortune to maintain at 9 years old. My Ford Ka also cost a fortune to maintain at 8 years+.

I used to do a 7 mile cycle, and on one occasion run, to work. There were some quite steep hills, one being about 1 mile long. To be honest cycling is fun, the exercise does you good. BUT ... For every 100 nice drivers, and most were nice, you get a dangerous ape who might knock you off. And there are some roads I will not cycle on. Most people seem to think driving at 70mph 1 foot to your side is okay. It isn't.

Being the idiot I am, I forgot that my father spends most of the year overseas. His car is a 2010 Daihatsu Sirion Automatic which is insured through the family company so any employee over 23 can drive it - not only am I over 23 (50 next month) but as the MD, I think I class as an employee. Perfect. No need to buy a car, his car gets a regular drive and no extra costs other than a a gallon of fuel every three days. Lovely!

PS Just dont tell my father......