What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - craig-pd130

** Health warning: this article may induce drowsiness, read with caution **

This weekend I rented a 1974 Interceptor III for a day. It’s been my fantasy car since I saw my first one in the metal as a 9-year-old: a wasp-yellow example at a local car dealer. It seemed to be on his forecourt for ages – probably because of the fuel crisis which was happening at the time, not to mention the purchase price, which was £7,200 in 1974 (equivalent to around £75,000 today).

So what’s an Interceptor like to drive today? When I first saw the car I was going to drive, my heart leapt: it’s still a stunnig shape. The interior is just as impressive with its dash full of dials and gauges, and acres of leather with a lovely patina of age.

A whiff of throttle, turn the key and the 440cui engine fires with a distant rumble of thunder that subsides to a lazy, loping beat. Select drive with a soft clunk, a dab of brake to control the creep, then ease away into traffic. It’s effortless: the steering is as light as a modern car’s but with good feel. The ride is as comfortable as you can get with a crude leaf-spring back axle – it’s not bad, but not in any way as cushioned as a modern car. Suspensions have moved on considerably.

It wafts along in urban limits with a centimetre of throttle movement and less than 2,000rpm on the tacho. All you can hear is the creaking and rubbing of the leather headlining and trim, and that wonderful subsonic woofle from the exhaust.

Outside of urban limits, a little more throttle soon eases you up to 60-odd mph. As you settle in, you find yourself thinking that, well, the car seems a bit mild-mannered, like a big pussycat. Sure, the mid-70s Chrysler 440 was detuned and encumbered by emissions control gear, but was still rated at a genuine 280bhp and 380ft-lb. Have the passing years allowed too many horses to escape from the stable?

Then there’s a caravan ahead. A gap appears, so I give the throttle more of a push. Instantly, the nose lifts, I’m pressed firmly into the seat and without the gearbox even kicking down a ratio, I’m safely past and tucked back in.

So that’s where the performance is. After years of driving modern turbodiesel saloons with drive-by-wire throttle pedals, it’s easy to forget that normally-aspirated cars with carbs have a much more linear response to your right foot.

Also, the Jensen has a VERY long-travel throttle. What I thought was a fairly wide-open throttle when overtaking that caravan was, in fact, only about half of the pedal’s movement. It scarcely opened the secondaries on the Carter 4-barrel carb.

On a clear, open stretch of dual carriageway, I’m able to bury my foot into the Wilton. The rear squats, the bonnet rises even further as the car is catapulted forward – again, without kicking down as I’m above the threshold speed. Let’s just say that I’m left in no doubt about just how quick the car really is. This dual personality is part of the charm of the car: the first half of the throttle’s movement is waft-matic; the second half unleashes the beast. Chrysler drivetrain engineers really did know their stuff, I’ve never driven an automatic car that has such good and immediate responses to your input.

The car’s handling is still tidy, too. Initial mild understeer gives way to a nice balance on long sweeping corners, and the car stays firmly on line, feeling well planted. A poke of the throttle will tighten the line slightly, without drama. However, wet roads need some caution – it soon becomes clear that the car weighs not far off 2 tons, and has relatively skinny tyres – adhesion is lost faster than you might think. Brakes were of their time: they stopped the car well enough, but needed a VERY firm foot. Nearly 2 tons of car, no engine braking and period Girling gear mean forward planning is strongly advised.

Overall, a fantastic 270 miles in a car I’ve long dreamed of owning. Of course it had its niggles: an oil leak left a stain on my drive (it was marking its territory, I’m sure), the clock didn't work, nor the fuel flap release switch – it had to be opened manually from within the boot. Speaking of fuel, it used 20 gallons in those 270 miles, which is 13.5mpg.

But what a car. Given a lottery win, I’d still have one: it lived up to the dream.

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - gordonbennet

Oh i enjoyed that, thankyou, could almost be there enjoying that muted thunder, nothing quite like a V8 for feeling aural delight..

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/08/2014 at 16:51

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - christo

Great article thanks, I want one and always have. An ex colleague of mine had one years ago and he said it would never go past a petrol station. if you can cope with the fuel consumption, go for it! What a car!

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - corax

Guy I knew had one, black with cream leather. I remember him switching on the powerful aircon and vapour trails coming out of the vents. Sounded superb.

You can't beat a big n/a V8 - acceleration in any gear and instantaneous response.

You say suspension has move on considerably. I'm not so sure. The Rover P6 had a modified de dion axle and upper and lower arms formed a watts linkage, yet the SD1 went back to a live axle. The same thing happened much more recently with the Honda Civic - from independent rear supension to beam axle in the new car.

It all comes down to cost, and the decisions made by either the bean counters or engineers at the time.

The leaf sprung axle of the interceptor was probably chosen because it was cheap and could easily handle the torque, like American cars of the time.

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - RT

Glad you all like them - my B-i-L was trim shop foreman at Jensen when the Interceptors were being made - he ended up in senior management at JLR.

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - mss1tw

Great read Craig, enjoyed that

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - Wukl

Oh dear, I think I need to change my pants after that read! I fell in love with the Interceptor in the late 70's when you could still just about see them being run as everyday cars. I remember my dad spotted one in a garage outside Warrington, and we stopped and asked if we could have a look round it. And sure enough, they said yes and I lowered myself into the cream leather like I was in the mosy holy of holy places. If the owner of FH111 is still about, I hope you don't mind.

I have dithered endlessly over hiring an Interceptor from Great Escapes, but have always resisted because - as Father Dougal said - "...you should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed...". But reading your excellent report, I might just have to...

I have dithered endlessly over hiring an Interceptor from Great Escapes, but have always resisted because - as Father Dougal said - "...you should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed...". But reading your excellent report, I might just have to...

That was where it was rented from (the company's Redditch base). It's a good, honest working example - slightly dog-eared in places but all the important bits are present and correct.

They're good people and obviously enthusiasts. This was actually my second attempt at booking: they called me on the day of the first booking (luckily before I'd set off as they're some 90 miles from my home) to say that the car had been returned to them with a charging problem, so they couldn't guarantee it would last the day without flattening the battery and needing to be recovered.

I was hugely disappointed at the time, but in fairness they did offer a substitute car on the day, or the opportunity to rebook with an extended time / mileage limit.

It's just an inevitable part of running a classic - problems happen.

They have two Interceptors, one in Northallerton.

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - Mike H

Great stuff. I remember reading about the Interceptor FF in the late 60s/early 70s, with its 4WD and ABS which was a terrifically new concept then. And to me, it was always a good looking car.

It also brought back memories of driving my brother-in-law's 3 litre Capri, which at the time seemed to have bucketloads of torque but which was in other ways a very basic and raw car. Times have changed though - my Saab has 265bhp and 310ft lb, but with FWD feels just a tad different ;-) No doubt more modern designs carry their power in different ways, so that they would feel different again.

Edited by Mike H on 18/08/2014 at 23:23

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - Sofa Spud

It was love at first sight when I first saw a Jensen Interceptor when they were introduced in the mid 1960's, when I was about 10.

I still think the Interceptor is one of the most beautiful cars ever built. I know it's really a British take on the American muscle car theme, lacking the thoroughbred technical finesse of a Ferrari or Aston Martin, but to me it was, and still is, a much more desirable car.

For everyday motoring, a hatchback with a modern 4-cylinder diesel suits me fine, I'd never consider a modern car with a V8 petrol engine. But if I win the lottery I'd definitley look for an Interceptor.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/08/2014 at 15:44

The old expression says "you should never meet your heroes", but in this case ithe car really did match the dream.

Of course, it's a 40-year-old car and a 50-year-old design, which means that the ride and road noise supression cannot hope to match that of current cars. But it's still pretty civilised, and really is tremendously easy to drive, both slow and fast.

Jensen Interceptor - A day with an Interceptor - Sofa Spud

I forgot to say that I did have a high speed ride in the back of a Jensen Interceptor SP once, as a passenger round a race circuit. So I did 'meet my hero' but that was a long time ago.