What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - spring

Long tale - will try to shorten.

Son recently started own business. Sole trader. 60 reg transit 3 months ago very good vehicle and good price..

Returning to his work site in clear, dry calm weather. Approached RH bend at spot he's done hundreds of times. Around the corner at speed came a byke which just missed him. Following behind, his mate didn't miss him. Hit Transit front OS wheel full on, and removed it. and opened up the sump. Byke in 3 bits. Incredibly, biker seems to have travelled up side of van before landing and suffered knee damage.

Police have I expect enough to do and in view of relatively fortunate outcome I dont expect they will prosecute altho the pc indic all evidence pointed to the byke being on wrong side and 2 following drivers stated that 2 bykers had passes them 'at speed' just before.

No excuse- I wouldnt have done it - BUT BUT starting up, no spare cash, cut the costs, so son had no replacement vehicle cover, no legal cover but just bare bones of comp insurance. So, he's out of business for a bit and his own insurer is not exactly helping by hanging about on inspecting the van.

I've said he'll sadly just have to swallow hard, put it down to experience be prepared to lose a few K and as Astaire would say 'dust yourself down and start all over again', especially if the byker's insurer begins to hint at oil on road or a pebbly surface or being freaked by a crow. Am I right or too pessimistic?

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate your views

Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - martint123

If it was me, I'd be onto the other insurer about getting a loan vehicle from them.

Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - Rats

Third party's insurer first, if not playing ball, raise a claim in small claims court, to include loss of earnings, inconvenience etc. etc. see how quick they deal with it then.

Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - Simon

It pains me to say it, but in these circumstances you could be as well letting one of these accident management companies handle the claim as long as the fault lies with the other party.

Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - brighteyes
On the face of it looks like the biker is "bang to rights" and if you don't feel like taking on the hassle an accident management sounds like good advise as all their cost will be claimed off the third parties insurance. Added to this, they will be able to reclaim the loss of earnings as well. As far as I am aware the onus is not on you to have replacement vehicle cover when your not to blame. Be warned in what appears to be an open and shut case the third party insurance will probably make an out of court offer, I suggest inspecting closely as these offers usually undervalue the claim by quite a way hoping you'll accept to save the hassle of further action.
Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - spring

Very grateful for posters to take the time to reply. If any progess is made on the lines suggested, I will let you know. Thanks again SPRING

Ford transit - Any.Accident/serious non insured damage - Andrew-T

I nearly asked earlier - are there any witnesses or other evidence to show who was on the wrong side of the centre line? If not it may be tricky ?