What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - Colesy191

I've had this problem for a while. There are constant diesel marks on the panal around the filler cap (I wash my car regularly, so these are always new); if I brim it, these marks are then huge - which leads me to think that I am loosing a lot of diesel.

I've already replaced the cap once (2 months back) and then this cured it for a couple of weeks. I've wiped around the seal and the cap many times and this has not cured it. Are there any general issues with Ford's filler caps?

I don't want to keep splashing out on new caps all the time, so are there any other ways of repairing it? The 'O' ring looks like it's in good condition and is not deteriorated either.

Cheers in advance

Colesy

Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - elekie&a/c doctor

I doubt if this a problem with Ford or any other models.You have to remember that diesel is an oil and each time you fill up,a certain amount of fuel residue will remain on the cap and seal,so that when the cap is closed ,the seal wil be squased and any diesel trapped on the seal will leak away.Perhaps you are overfilling the tank?

Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - Galaxy

Did you replace the cap with a genuine Ford part?

If not, I would try that, but do bear in mind what elekie says above, which is very sensible advice.

Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - Colesy191

It was a second hand Ford cap bought off of Ebay. It seemed to have solved the issue for a couple of weeks, and then the problem began again - which I find odd. Even when it's less than half full it still leaks out of the cap if I'm driving down a bumpy country road.

What do you think to taking the cap off and washing it and the seal in some warm water with a bit of washing up liquid in so that I can eliminate the potential of any muck around the seal problem?

Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - Galaxy

It was a second hand Ford cap bought off of Ebay. It seemed to have solved the issue for a couple of weeks, and then the problem began again - which I find odd. Even when it's less than half full it still leaks out of the cap if I'm driving down a bumpy country road.

What do you think to taking the cap off and washing it and the seal in some warm water with a bit of washing up liquid in so that I can eliminate the potential of any muck around the seal problem?

I would do as I've suggested. Go to your local Ford Main Dealer and buy a brand new one!

Ford Fiesta 08 1.4tdci (old model) - Fuel Filler Cap Leaking - jc2

Ford recommend to stop filling at first "click".