Rover 25 2003 - Engine oil tapping clicking noise - patrickviera
I changed the oil filter and engine oil a month ago. Engine was topped up to 3/4 of from max mark. It is still approx 3/4 still. I hear this clicking/tapping noise when I let go off the accelerator pedal each time. Any ideas on what this could be? Is it because oil is not up to max mark?

Everything looks ok, coolant up to max mark, no signs of oil leak or leak at cyclinder head, etc.
The noise gets louder when you get to 2000rpm. It is like a clicking / tapping noise. Clueless to what it is. The noise appears on starting the car from cold and goes away after a few seconds and sometimes from warm. I only noticed it since changing oil filter and oil change. The oil level looks fine, I put the right oil in which was 10w-40 semi synthetic.
Any ideas a bit clueless to what the noise is , cannot tell where noise is coming from. I can hear it better from the drivers seat. When I open the bonnet and get someone to press the gas pedal I cannot hear where the noise is coming from too many moving parts. At idle there is no noise only when pressing the gas pedal.

Any help?
Rover 25 2003 - Engine oil tapping clicking noise - Bolt

Sounds like tappets,try getting long screwdriver put end on cam cover and ear to handle, you should be able to hear the tappets clearly if thats the problem,sometimes injectors can sound like tappets from drivers seat

Any ideas on this, really stuck?

All engine oil levels are fine other liquid levels are ok.

In summary in order to pinpoint problem:

Difficult to describe noise ,sounds like clapping /ticking/f***ing etc when pressing the gas pedal.
When starting the engine on some mornings I can hear the noise for around 5 seconds. Can hear noise some mornings and not other mornings.
At idle revving the car to around 2000 rpm it can be best heard.
Although I suspect the noise gets louder slowly to 2000 rpm .
After 2000rpm the engine is too loud hence cannot hear the noise anymore but I suspect it is still there.
No noise if you leave car idling only when pressing the gas pedal.

Does the drive or alternator belt not cambelt move faster when pressing the gas pedal? I can hear it from the drivers seat better than I can hear it when opening the bonnet and getting someone to press gas pedal. Surely the noise would be better heard with bonnet open , from drivers seat it sounds like noise is coming from under the bonnet. I got a friend to press the gas pedal he can hear it from drivers seat better ,but I was under the bonnet listening and could not hear as I could when I was in drivers seat.

Thanks
Rover 25 2003 - Engine oil tapping clicking noise - Bolt

Your engine shouldnt be that noisy you cant tell where its coming from they are not that noisy,did you try what I posted before?,if not ask someone else to do it its easy enough

Otherwise take to garage and get them to listen they will tell you straight away and it still could be tappets which may need replacing,or may be an oil pressure problem that you may need to get looked at,

Does it sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnO1t5Pn64 thats tappets

Edited by magnit on 10/07/2014 at 18:38