What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - Prog42

Test drove an '06 Fiesta today, 40k miles, 1.2 engine. Would appreciate more knowledgable opionion than mine...

BATTERY When I arrived, dealer mentioned having to charge the battery before bringing the car out the front. Should I be looking to deduct the cost of a new battery from price? Could anything else more serious be going on (the battery light went off OK when starting)?

STEERING When going over bumps, there's a single knock in the steering, audible and also a vibration in the steering wheel. Like two things hitting together. I feel the same in both my 02 Megane and my wife's 04 Corsa. May not be anything to worry about, but not sure....

Thanks for any advice.

Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - madf

Run away.

A dealer selling a car with obvious faults will no doubt NOT want to fix any others if you buy it.

Lots more for sale.

Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - The-Mechanic

Lots more for sale.

+1

Why consider a car which has a couple of obvious problems. As you admit, you have limited knowledge so if you have picked up on these possible faults, what else could be wrong with it that you miss ?

No, leave it alone. Plenty of Fiesta's around so take your time and go view some others.

Good luck.

Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - Prog42

Makes perfect sense.

I was amazed that he told me about the battery. It's not as if I saw him move the car, jump it, etc.

Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - Andrew-T

I was amazed that he told me about the battery. It's not as if I saw him move the car, jump it, etc.

The battery may not be a serious problem, as cars can have all kinds of slow drain on the battery; plus the trader may be moving the car about every day on the forecourt. But the battery may be a bit tired after 8 years anyway.

The suspension thump is something else though. May be simple or serious. As others have said, shop around. But 8-year-old cars are unlikely to be perfect. You could well find a good one 'privately', and be able to learn more about the car than from a trader.

Ford Fiesta - Buying - noticed a few things on test drive - Bolt

You have to be very lucky these days to find a really good motor,I`ve been looking for someone else and not found anything thats not got any problems, though the prices are top notch and nobody will drop to rectify the problems or even fix for the sale