Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - Streetlegal

Hi John

I am keen on getting a Audi a4 s line 2008 onwards tdi model. looking to spend 10k

I have seen many examples on trader and elsewhere...couple of concerns hope someone can answer

when exactly does the cam belt, tensioners and water pump need changing on this car ? mileage wise

Are there any DPF issues I should be aware of ?

some of these cars seem like spaceships 4 year old models with 150,000+ miles on the clock, suspect they are sales people driving these up and down the country

is these anything specific I should be looking out for ?

the 2008 s line onwards didn't come with sat nav

Ultimately should I just go for a newer a4 with sat-nav SE model or buy the S line with better styling body kit.

Will a 10k Audi a4 with 80-90k on the clock live up to expectation in terms of reliability and life ?

Thanks in advanced

Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - Happy Blue!

Is this the engine that needs 40k cambelt changes?

Personally I would avoid super high mileage cars with rubber band tyres and stick with something more sensible. I tried this trick once of buying a low age, high miles car and regretted it. Nothing went wrong, just everything thoroughly worn and shabby.

Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - 72 dudes

I tend to agree with HB. Nothing inherently wrong with high mileage cars which have been well maintained and looked after. They do exist, I used to do 36k per year and I remember the bloke from the Leasing company picking one car up (a 1995 Pug 405 1.9TD) at 2 years 4 months old with 82k on the clock saying he thought he'd got the wrong car.

However, although modern engines can do huge mileages when properly maintained, I can't help thinking about all the bits that don't get changed periodically which will be worn and loose.

We had 3 year old 3 series, A4s and C Classes in our fleet which were fit for the knackers yard. The ladies in Marketing liked the Audi A4s and sometimes put some oil in them when the warning light came on! Is that enough to put you off?

My A6 and S60 on the other hand were in huge demand to be bought by employees before they went back and in to auction. No apologies for sounding smug - I like to look after my cars, period. And I don't have the 'advantage' of driving company cars now anyway.

Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - oldtoffee

If you've seen many examples advertised, get particular and look for examples with normal mileage, say 15k to 20k a year, (not low miles on a diesel) with full Audi service history up to 3 years at least, preferably with 10k service intervals but not mandatory. Best to avoid the auto models as there are well publicised and expensive issues with the VW DSG box going back in time. Most 6 year old Audis will have been well looked after for 3 years and then either skimped on servicing or well cared for. The cambelt and water pump are best treated as 40,000 mile items so make sure this has been done on time every time. The S-Line will have bigger wheels and sportier suspension than the SE so expect a harder, bit noisier ride and sharper handling over the SE's softer, comfier, bit less tidy pushing on handling. Plenty of good independents around to save you blowing your money at dealers.

Follow HJ's advice here on buying second hand and walk away if you're in any way you're not totslly happy.

Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - Streetlegal

I like your advice...makes sense plus youre one who talks out my specific requirements. Service history is key then. just a bit peed off that 10k 6 year old dont come with Sat nav as standard.

Still torn between Audi A4 S line and Audi a4 SE both TDI models.

thanks for all the replies.

see where we go with this one, eventually.

Edited by Streetlegal on 04/07/2014 at 11:47

Audi A4 TDI 143 S Line 2008 onwards - buying advice - 72 dudes

Yes, apologies streetlegal, my post went somewhat off-topic.

Oldtoffees advice is sound. I would personally forego the wheels and bodykit of the S Line for the SE for a less jarring ride.

But as suggested find one of each with similar age and mileage and see which suits you best.

One correction on the autos, I believe these were called multitronic on the diesels (CVTs) and were in fact rather good. But do avoid the S tronic which is the DSG version on the Petrols.

Service history vital, also look for any old invoices in the book pack, and closely study the condition of the interior and boot. Owners who look after their cars tend to keep all paperwork and keep the interior immaculate too.

As for SatNav, buy a decent Tomtom!

HTH.