What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - oldroverboy.

Recently, when looking at nearly new cars I have had the following experiences.

Volvo , excellent reception and good salesman, but no recent volvo petrols available.

Vauxhall, saleman came out quickly but just lost interest quickly too. (insignia petrol fairly low on my list)

Toyota, again very helpful, yes sir test drive when you want, ask anything you want, good impressions.

Honda, as good as Toyota same offers for test drives.

Ford, myself and another lady (seperately) looking at cars in front of showroom in view of salespeople, totally ignored.

Kia, no one in sight.

Mg, very enthusiastic, salesman knew his stuff (inasmutch as he could with a new make),happy to provide further test drives and immediately made agood offer/finance offer, very keen to sell.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - skidpan

My experience of the above brands.

Volvo

Saleman sisd they did not sell petrols since no one bought them.

Vauxhall

Still waiting for call to confirm car has arrived for a test drive as arranged in 2008!!!!

Toyota

Salesman lied to wife about the car she asked to see. Tried again at another dealer since we really liked the car (Avensis Tourer), arranged a decent length test drive but when we arrived he was only willing to take us round the industrial estate and cliamed it was illegal for a buyer to sit in the front passenger seat.

Honda

Arranged a test drive and asked for one with sensible tyres. Saleman was happy to take us out for a drive in one with huge whhels and no sidewalls.

Kia

Salesman happy to arranmge test drive. Arrived as arranged and simply haded the keys and told to be back in 2 hours. Never even took any details from us.

No MG existed at the time, would not bother since even now there are no dealers and no estates.

Guess what we bought, yes, it was a Kia.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Manatee

Just bought two Skodas, one used, one new, at different dealers. Fairly painless, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be hours of grief and disappointment.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - csgmart

For me it's as follows:-

Ford

Wanted to test drive a B Max but it needed to be an automatic. Dealer (in Bristol, so not exactly a small town) couldn't source one for us. Suggested we buy untested (yeah right).

My wife objected and the sales woman said we could always wait for a second hand one to come on to the market so they could offer us a test drive. When asked how long that could be was told "could be up to 3 years". And she said it to us with a straight face.....

Complaint raised with Ford HQ about the lack of suitable vehicles for a test drive - still waiting for a response 2 years later.....

Mercedes

Excellent all round - not ignored but also not pestered either.

Jaguar

Good experience too - perhaps a little too much 'customer service' for my liking (lots of phone calls and emails) but they were decent enough

Bought an XF which was subsequently replaced by 2 Mercedes.

Honda

Test drove a Honda Jazz - salesman was OK - knew his stuff but was taken aback when I didn't buy a Jzz in the end.

Not tried Toyota (nothing in their range I like particularly).

BMW

Wanted to test drive a 1 series. Absolutely wouldn't let me until we'd had a chat with their finance guy (having already told them I had more than enough each month to afford the payments). I pointed out that it was pointless going through the finance on a car I might not buy if I didn't like the test drive. Wouldn't budge.

In the end I quite liked the 1 series but somehow a BMW didn't feel quite 'right' for me.

Edited by csgmart on 01/07/2014 at 23:22

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - 72 dudes

Volvo: Excellent local dealer, always try their best to help. Service Team equally impressive

Mercedes: Sales Team: Helpful and not in the least snotty when they knew I was buying Used at the lower end of their price range. No BS or false promises about the cars. Ended up buying 2 in 3 months. Service Team, limited experience so far but promising, but I know they will be expensive.

Hyundai: Walked around the forecourt for about 10 minutes and was totally ignored.

Kia/Mazda: Fairly helpful but lost interest when I said I needed an Automatic.

Nissan 1: Friendly, helpful and professional, but could not find the car I wanted.

Nissan 2 (12 miles away): Took my details 3 months ago, never heard.

Ford: Took my details 3 months ago, never heard

Honda: Gave me an unaccompanied test drive in an Insight which was grubby and smelled unpleasant. On my return, no sign of the salesman or any of his colleagues, so put the keys back on his desk and left. Had a call at home later basically telling me off for leaving the garage, pretended he couldn't find the keys. I laughed at this 24 year old sharp suited twit and explained the car was useless. (Honestly, possibly the worst car I've driven in recent years)

Vauxhall: Didn't bother as no cars of interest and our local dealer has a terrible reputation.

Peugeot: Pretty good customer service and did not attempt to convince me otherwise when i explained why the car was not suitable.

VW: Started off well, but seemed to adopt a "we can sell everything we've got, so get on with it" attitude.

Citroen/Audi/BMW/Renault: No recent experience.

I guess there are good and bad dealers of all marques. I have to say that to be contacted by Mercedes Benz UK after buying 7 year old used models with a welcome letter and a survey is pretty impressive!

Edited by 72 dudes on 02/07/2014 at 00:42

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Alby Back
I decide in advance which car I want. I'll ring a dealer in advance and ask to speak to a sales person. I'll tell them I'd like to come in and see one, or one very like the spec I want. If they can't accommodate me I'll ring a different dealer.

Anyway, having pre-arranged a test drive at a specific time I will make sure I turn up of course.

At this point the "attitude" of their staff is more or less irrelevant provided the the car is available for inspection and trial.

If I like it, and I am liable to having previously researched it, we will then move to the business side to see if a deal can be struck.

I don't really care if the sales person is a nice guy or not or whether he touches his forelock in my presence. I'm there to buy a car not to make a friend or to have my ego stroked.

If they can't or won't do the deal I want I'll then call different dealers until I get it or close enough. Doesn't really matter if you buy it a hundred miles away, ( they will often deliver them anyway ) you can still get it serviced or whatever locally.

As for those who dislike being 'ignored' well, indeed the staff 'need training' but you also have a tongue in your head ! ;-)
When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - RT

When I buy a car, I've usually narrowed it down previously to one specific model - so it's a case of test drive and then down to negotiating.

Where I find car dealers frustrating is when I'm doing preliminaries - getting brochures, looking at models in the showroom. Now because I'm aware I'm not a buyer at that point I try very hard not to waste their time - but in many cases even getting a brochure without the full interrogation and incessant follow-up calls is near impossible.

Best buying experience I had was when looking to buy a nearly new Subaru Outback - went to several dealers who all said the same thing - here's the keys, leave yours and we'll see you later! I did of course buy one of them - but in complete contrast I couldn't even get a test drive in the Audi A6 Allroad and Volvo XC70 I was considering as an alternative.

Edited by RT on 02/07/2014 at 10:00

Well, I think we are more or less on the same page RT. I've usually decided exactly what I want in advance so that's usually what I will end up buying. If I've decided I want a Mercedes I'm unlikely to buy an Audi just because I don't like the salesman at the Mercedes dealership.

They are trained to take control of the negotiation. Trick is to fairly quickly take back the control with polite but firm commentary.

Be clear, as in 'I am here to do a deal but this is what needs to happen from your side before I do' sort of thing.
When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - jc2

I bought a new car last year-good deal-I was expecting the Sales Dept. to be contacting me after a year.In for it's first servce,the service receptionist asks me if Sales have contacted me(different sites) and when I say NO,they offer to contact the salesman who sold me it-on collection,they tell me that my salesman is no longer an employee but the sales dept. will contact me.A week later,Servce dept. contact me to enquire if everything is OK after the service and have I been contacted by Sales.Still nothing-perhaps the initial deal was too good.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - GBP1705

Had 2 cars in mind I would buy, 1st Toyota a test drive was arranged date & time, turned up and car available for test drive was completely different to requested, walked away.

Arranged test drive with Ford dealership for Monday 10am, arrived 15 mins early, salesman went to get keys, 20 mins later returns with no keys, they had loaned the car to Asda for the day, walked out again.

Telephoned another Ford dealership asked if the had the vehicle available for a test drive, 30 secs later was told a car had just been delivered that morning, 20 mins later arrived for a test drive, 1 hour later done the deal including a price for p/x on my car without them driving it. Picked the car up 1 week later.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - slmnneil

Yes,I found Toyota and Honda to be most helpful so my experience was far different.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Andrew-T

I think the responses above show that 'surveys' like this say much more about the staff than the marques. There will always be good and poor examples at most marques.

Having never bought an unused car, I can't contribute much to this survey, except to say that the cars I have bought from non-franchises have usually been the least painful exercises, both emotionally and financially. Examples: Fords of Winsford (car 'supermarket') and Motorite (Lostock Gralam near Northwich). Bucking the trend: Cooksons at Macclesfield (Pug franchise).

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Ed V

I suspect some of the "gap" may reflect different types of customer prepresented here.

We are all different, and age, time, IT skills, and interest in cars are among the huge variables between us.

Some would happily go to a salesman-free car supermarket; others will want to feel they're in a private bank, and be treted as such. The cost one pays reflects that difference too of course.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Bobbin Threadbare

I suspect some of the "gap" may reflect different types of customer prepresented here.

We are all different, and age, time, IT skills, and interest in cars are among the huge variables between us.

Some would happily go to a salesman-free car supermarket; others will want to feel they're in a private bank, and be treted as such. The cost one pays reflects that difference too of course.

Totally true. I don't like to be fussed around if I am shopping for something.

I have only experienced Honda dealerships for myself, but Blackpool Honda were very good and straightforward. I went with my mum to Toyota, a dealership she was very loyal to, but the salesman was a bit pushy and he also didn't know the deals on them fully. Mazda, on the other hand, were great, and she bought from them. Simple, friendly and well informed. I need to wait and see what sort of follow-up customer service I get from Honda!

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Snakey

My experiences vary - it really must depend on invidual dealers:

Ford - reasonably attentive. Lost interest very quickly when I asked for a better part ex price

Peugeot - Never rang back. Didn't respond to email

Totoya - apathetic to be honest. Knew little about the cars.

Vauxhall - suprisingly good. Kept trying to up their offer, rang back when they said they would.

Honda - OK - a bit like Vauxhall but with worse part ex prices!

BMW - Actually not too bad at all - was expecting a bit of an attitude (I was wearing 'casual clothes' on my visit, the cheek of it!) but they were helpful and attentive and brought a drink and biscuit for my young daughter

Mini - A bit like Ford - if you didn't want to pay full ticket price they wandered off

What did I buy after that litle lot? A Vauxhall.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Ed V

Seems to me then that the dealers in the main have it right.

Those that look after fussy customers lose out.

Those that don't, get to sell cars at best prices.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - daveyK_UK

Ford - awful (mainly due to them selling so many), as sonn as I asked for a discount for cash they where not interested.

Vauxhall - ok, showrooms always good with most models available

skoda - always been good and interested

VW - the worst. Treat you like a child ,think they know best, think their cars and prices are perfect

Hyundai - generally rubbish, I have struggled to find a good hyundai dealer.

Toyota - good, albeit a bit strict on discount and not interested in doing deals

Citroen - generally good, always keen to get a deal done

suzuki - excellent, want to do a deal, positive, happy to have a long test drive

Peugeot - not very good, dont really do discounts, dont like getting asked if their cars are just a re-branded more expensive citroens

Fiat - ok on the sales side, happy to test drive and do a deal, but awful when it comes to aftersales. Fiat aftersales are as bad as Seat and Hyundai.

Seat - ok, but rubbsh aftersales.

Dacia - supringly good, happy to test drive, honest about product

nissan - generally ok at sales, ok at getting a deal, ok at aftersales. Very average but dependable. I can see why people stick with them.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Dingle232

This is slightly off topic but still relevant. In the last few weeks I have really been taking my time in looking at swapping my car. As car buying these days is heavily based on internet research I tend to ring dealerships and get sent pictures an a video of the car, details of its history and an indicative trade in price. Once I have identified 2 or 3 I get on the road and look at them. That day was planned for today.

In the last 3 weeks I have spoken to:

1. Volvo Dealership

Looking at a top of the range V40. They could not be more helpfuk, even offering to take the car off sale without a deposit. Very straight talking and the only hesitation was from me as their car was the most expensive.

2. Mercedes Dealership

Same as Volvo, excellent.

3. VW Dealerships x 3

A very different experience. Had to chase calls back at least 3 times, one didn't bother calling back at all, one gave me trade in details for a car that wasn't mine. Truly awful though the 3rd was marginally better. It's a shame as I was probably favouring a Golf out of all of them but they simply appear like they don't want your business.

Now I am a bit old fashined when it comes to manners and VW's lack of them is tempting me to tell 'em where to put their Golf and buy the Volvo out of principle. I am just hesitating because it's £2k more than either of the others.

Just goes to show how your cutomer experience can affect your decisions.

If you are considering a Golf have a look at the Seat Leon. Exactly the same car but several thousands less to buy. After 13 months the car is simply brilliant. Enjoy driving it in town, on the motorway and especialy on decent A roads. Seems very well built even compared to my old 1 series.

Of the 3 Seat dealers we tried 2 were pretty good, the other simply ignored us. We chose the dealer simply on price, you cannot ignore £2000 less to pay. But after we had got the car it soon became evident that the dealer was completely incompetent when filling out paperwork. He was not in anyway prepared to sort his errors which could well have cost us our service pack (£360) and extended warranty (£300) if I had not spotted them. Seat customer services fortunately came good, sorted the issues and gave us £200 to spend as we wished.

For the first service a few weeks ago we went to the dealer who ignored us. Never again, they left the sump plug loose but luckily the oil slick on the drive alerted us before any damage was done. Seat rescue got an AA man out within 1/2 hour which sorted the immediate issue, problem was the insulation on the engine under tray was soaked in oil. After some discussion the garage agreed to replace it. Alter all that they cannot understand why I was not happy.

That's quite a catalogue of cock ups isn't it? To be honest I am more put off by the dealerships than the cars themselves. I have had another runaround with the VW crew today and it's clear that they simply don't care and have become arrogant beyond belief.

I am actually favouring the V40 to be honest as previous (Company Car) experiences with their vehicles and dealers have been petty positive. I just can't 'quite' get my head around why they are so expensive or whether the extra is worth it over the VW.

Do they hold their value more than VW or are they just simply 'better'?

As I said in my original post we visited the Volvo dealer when we bought the Seat. The Volvo dealer is part of the group that inclues the Seat dealer who was totally disinterested and subsequently c0cked up the sump plug.

We were interested in the 150 PS petrol but the salesman quite clearly told me they did not sell petrols since no one buys them. We looked at the car and decided it was not for us. Access into the front was not easy, into the rear was impossible. The boot was poor. Nice rear view mirror, very Apple.

Based on previous experiences Volvo servicing was extortionate as well, they wanted over £1000 at the original local Volvo dealer for the first 3 services on a C30.

Colleagues wife has XC90, bought it form the above dealer and when it wnet in for its first service with 4000 miles on the clock they said it wanted 4 new tyres which she agreed to. Theay are 19" Carlos Fandango jobbies, nearly £200 each on Camskill, how much at the local s******.

Dick Turpin lives.

That's one of my concerns but there is a gizmo on Volvo's website that actually allows you to see the cost of servicing. A typical one is about standard at £240 whilst the more major ones are £390 - pretty much on a par with VAG costs I think.

I looked at the Seat and it does look very very nice. I'm just quite taken with the V40 but, again, not sure why its a whole £2k more than a Golf. I must be missing something.
A typical one is about standard at £240 whilst the more major ones are £390 - pretty much on a par with VAG costs I think. I

Don't know about VW but for the Leon I have a VAG finance service plan (I am on the 1 year - 10,000 miles service regime not the flexible one) that costs me £10.91 a month for 34 months, total £370.94 for the first 3 services. That is way less than servicing a Volvo.

After the plan expires Seat have fixed price servicing, £139 for a minor and £259 for a major, again way less than the Volvo prices.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - veryoldbear

An interesting thread.

I think that much of this reflects the "Company Car" culture that prevails in the UK. So many new cars are sold as fleet, company or individual business cars that many main dealers are not really interested in the humble private buyer.

It doesn't really affect me though, as I tend to pay for my cars roughly the same as the business executive might for a square meal ....

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - smallcar

A point of interest to me is I'd always assumed that car salesmen were quite well paid at least for people with modest academic quals. It just seems from this thread and my own experience that there's a lack of consistent well design sales processes going on implemented in a coherent way. In other sectors you can sense some order and training going on

. Is the turnover so high in car sales that there's not enough time to imbed consistent approaches or is there just a tolerance of shoddy behaviour?

Duplicate post.

Edited by Avant on 06/07/2014 at 10:15

Duplicate post.

Edited by Avant on 06/07/2014 at 10:16

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Manatee

There's truth in what you say old bear.

I can't really account for it, and maybe it's as simple as some salespeople just not being very good - but the majority seem normally intelligent to me.

I have some insight into the motor trade, though I'm not anywhere near up to date. When I first got involved decades ago, dealers typically had a profit margin of 17.5% to play with. You knew that they could afford to sell you a car at 15% discount, though dealer allocations in some cases limited what they could sell, so for cars in demand it might be hard to get.

Some models would attract extra margin support from time to time, and dealer bonuses linked to registrations have always been a feature of the industry.

The basic margin is now usually very much lower, so dealers don't have so much to play with. If all the dealer can offer you is a deal based on what he can make from his standard profit on the car, and anything he can make on the part exchange, it isn't going to be very attractive and he probably has little chance of doing a deal with an alert buyer.

I know of at least one very big dealer group that foundered after trading solely on the basis of big annual bonuses and missing one.

The sales staff also know that the majority of some mainstream models go at new to company users - so the individual expressing an interest will not be the purchaser, and the eventual supplier is probably already contracted to the company concerned.

This probably goes some way to explain both the apparent indifference of some sales staff to buyers, and the seemingly insulting offers they make in terms of discount/part exchange compared with broker deals, or pre-reg cars. The fact is that the real market price of most cars is well below what a dealer can offer in a "vanilla" deal.

This casual attitude to potential customers is still poor behaviour, and short-sighted, but understandable if the sales staff see no real benefit in investing time in enquiries.

The challenge for a dealer may not be finding buyers, so much as finding deals he can offer them.

When there is a deal, it is often related to model specific margin support or retrospective volume bonuses. Dealers will also pre-register cars rather than miss a big enough payment, knowing they can still come out ahead selling them later at lower-than-cost prices.

There also appears to be tacit use of fleet and demonstrator discounts to get cars into the private market. A dealer may sell and register a vehicle to an associated hire business and then sell it immediately as pre-reg with delivery miles. The fleet discount is usually contingent on the car not being sold for a minimum period, which is why sometimes the V5 is retained for up to 6 months if the car is sold earlier.

I can't believe that manufacturers aren't aware of the dealers who do this, but presumably they turn a blind eye as long as it isn't overdone to the detriment of supply to other dealers..

Many thousands more cars are sold at big discounts to short term hire companies who churn them after a few months, after which they enter the private market as nearly new, via car supermarkets and large dealer groups.

"Management" cars are another wheeze.

Brokers and car supermarkets play a major role in linking buyers with these deals.

It's a complex market. I have just 'sourced' two cars from different dealers in a different part of the country - one for the boss, and one for an elderly relative. Looking for new, I ended up with a 3 month old 2,000 mile "demonstrator" and a pre-registered one with 10 miles on the clock, both at more than 25% discount from new. Yet the nearest dealers were just quoting a few hundred pounds discount on a straightforward new deal.

E&OE - as I say I'm not current and no doubt there are nuances I don't know about now that somebody else can fill in.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Engineer Andy

I would say that whilst the manufacturer's general attitude makes a good amount of difference between dealerships, there's other factors to weigh in as well, such as what the dealership (as well as the manufacturer) perceives to be their 'target customer' (e.g. company car owner, fleet buyer, wealthy or less so, old/young/middle-aged) and the dealership's owners.

Its more likely that the likes of Honda and Toyota will favour the middle-aged/older age group (though in my experience they appear to be the best of the bunch overall on customer service), German marques geared towards more afluent customers (who they perceive [often wrongly IMO] don't want to haggle on price).

In my experience, the difference between a 'good' dealership and a 'bad' one is just as much to do with how it is managed by its owners - I've been to/spoken with (quotes etc) a few Mazda dealers over the years whilst owning my Mazda3, and can say the quality varies quite a bit. My own one in Letchworth Garden City is good in the main, others I've come across less so. Its noticeable that often the 'family run' smaller dealerships appear to have far better reputations than the big multi-manufacturer ones, which appears to be the case round my way as well.

I think each customer's attitude towards what they want out of their experience can cloud their opinion of their visit - I suspect younger customers are much more concerned about price and getting the exact spec the want, not minding haggling and the sales patior, whereas older customers (whilst price conscious) may favour a less pushy approach, looking for a taliored experience to fit their individual needs, without the sales pressure.

My best experience came at a Honda dealership, who not only allowed me two test drives of over an hour each, allowing me to see if all my holiday luggage (including golfing stuff) would fit in the boot of each of the cars I was looking at, but was very courteous, keen but not pushy and asked (and followed up just the once as requested) if he could phone me once I had made my decision over which car to buy.

A shame that their cars (at the time) were a bit pricey compared to the Mazda I went for.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - groaver

It is the same for me manatee. Long, long ago in a galaxy far away I was a car salesman with those margins you speak of.

I find that many today fail to qualify the customer and attempt to try and sell a car on what they perceive to be the important issues to them.

Talking cost to change normally puts many on their guard too.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - 72 dudes
That's one of my concerns but there is a gizmo on Volvo's website that actually allows you to see the cost of servicing. A typical one is about standard at £240 whilst the more major ones are £390 - pretty much on a par with VAG costs I think. I looked at the Seat and it does look very very nice. I'm just quite taken with the V40 but, again, not sure why its a whole £2k more than a Golf. I must be missing something.

Dingle, which versions (engine/trim) are you comparing when looking at V40 vs.Golf?

Volvo ES = Golf S; SE = SE; R Design = GT/GTD.

For me the interior of the V40 wins, it's just a georgeous place to sit compared with the high quality but blander Golf. Servicing is on a par over the longer term, and don't forget to factor in larger discounts available on the V40, which bring the differences model to model to nearer £1000. But Golf residuals are stronger.

Also some things like folding mirrors and steering wheel controls cost extra on certain models of Golf. V40 has Climate, Golf has a kind of semi automatic aircon or Climate at extra cost.

The What Car? car comparison builder online is your friend here.

That's one of my concerns but there is a gizmo on Volvo's website that actually allows you to see the cost of servicing. A typical one is about standard at £240 whilst the more major ones are £390 - pretty much on a par with VAG costs I think. I looked at the Seat and it does look very very nice. I'm just quite taken with the V40 but, again, not sure why its a whole £2k more than a Golf. I must be missing something.

Dingle, which versions (engine/trim) are you comparing when looking at V40 vs.Golf?

Volvo ES = Golf S; SE = SE; R Design = GT/GTD.

For me the interior of the V40 wins, it's just a georgeous place to sit compared with the high quality but blander Golf. Servicing is on a par over the longer term, and don't forget to factor in larger discounts available on the V40, which bring the differences model to model to nearer £1000. But Golf residuals are stronger.

Also some things like folding mirrors and steering wheel controls cost extra on certain models of Golf. V40 has Climate, Golf has a kind of semi automatic aircon or Climate at extra cost.

The What Car? car comparison builder online is your friend here.

It's the V40 SE Lux Nav but has been a Volvo factory 'show off' car with all the options you can dream about on. I had planned to test drive 3 cars today: this one, a Goof 2.0 TDi SE and an Audi A4. I only got as far as the V40 and bought it. Absolutely blown away by the drive and spec on it.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Andrew-T

<< Had to chase calls back at least 3 times, one didn't bother calling back at all, one gave me trade in details for a car that wasn't mine. >>

My fairly limited experience is that most salesmen don't return calls to 'private' customers. They may be too busy making other sales or giving test drives or attending courses or having a liquid lunch. But I suspect they mostly don't bother.

I've never been a car salesman but as a young lad I did some time in retail selling.

Many customers are perfectly pleasant but quite lot treat sales / retail staff like they were something unpleasant stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

In any negotiation we all do well to recognise that we are dealing with a fellow member of the human race whichever side of the potential deal we stand.

Those who need their egos stroking whether they be a potential customer who thinks his available spend gives him superiority or indeed a member of staff who is a bit too proud of his job are the ones who will kill a deal which could otherwise have been amicably and indeed mutually satisfactorily done.

People are not mind readers, a sales person who greets a potential customer too early or too enthusiastically can be rebuffed for being 'too pushy' another,
who gives the customer enough time to browse can be rejected for 'ignoring' them. It's a fine line.

Whether I'm buying or selling, I give the other party clear, simple information.

For example, if I was just browsing I'd say so, conversely if I was there to buy a car I'd say that too.

If I were selling, I'd greet the customer immediately but with a polite 'Good Morning' or whatever and a 'Let me know if I can be of help' type of comment and then leave them alone for a bit unless they engaged me in conversation immediately. Even then some could get quite aggressive and you could tell they disliked being approached.

It's a tricky one to call actually.

Then of course as a customer, we do well to remember that retailers are not charities, they need to make some profit or they won't survive. Screwing them down to a rock bottom deal is not something they enjoy any more than their customers would enjoy being stitched up.

The best deals occur when both parties are happy with it and the best way of getting to that point quickly and efficiently is to be clear about your intentions, polite at all times and reasonable with the other party until they give you cause not to be.

If both players play the game fairly, usually a fair deal is done.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - retgwte

My experiences:

Suzuki: Nice guy, did the deal on the phone, didn’t even bother going to the dealership until pickup. Nice honest deal, both sides got what they expected.

Toyota: Exceptionally good experience. Just given car keys and told to take car for as long as I wanted for a test drive. Ordered it. A few hiccups when the salesman left the dealership, but they backed down when I told them to stick to the original deal. Aftersales experience first rate.

Dacia: Bought car but found out subsequently they were lying through their teeth, won't be going back there.

Hyundai: Bought the car, major pain getting a sensible deal out of them, and then after deal struck they were nothing but hassle. Nice car but never going to that dealer again.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - madf

I ALWAYS dress down when buying a car... and don't care if I am ignored or not. If I see the car I want I try to bargain.

If they don't play ball, I don't buy.. and walk away telling them so..

The local Honda dealership were very nice: test drive etc- when looking for a used under 12 months old Jazz auto - but they were expensive. I told them so. They did not bite.

I eventually travelled 60 miles and bought what I wanted in Leeds at £2k lower. The local dealership did chase me up - and when I told them I had bought a car, asked the price and said "if you had told us, we could have done a deal".

Tough . If they can't be accommodating when I ask...

I don't care what they say, or think a long as they are civl and commercial.. Walking away especially at month end when targets have to be met has saved me thousands over the years..

I found VW arrogant, Ford OK, Toyota very reluctant to deal an our llocal Renault dealer impossible to bargain with. BMW were OK, Peugeot were hopeless (the model range mainly) and Mercedes did not want to know..

I used online brokers for price comparisons and benchmark pricing.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - wrangler_rover

I am a company car driver, the cars are leased from one of the fleet management companies and the lease period is 4 years.

Every 4 years when choosing my car, after internet research I go to the dealer to look at the car in the metal, I make it clear from the start that the decision on who will supply the car is out of my hands and with the lease company, but, my local dealer will get all the servicing for the next 4 years. Haven't had any problems in the past. If I want a test drive, the lease company arranges that for me directly with the manufacturer.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - thirts

Having only just today bought a second hand car, this has been my expereince.

Toyota, helpful and polite but god it took ages.

Honda, Brilliant service, and I was able to take the car by myself for a couple of hours. I wished a liked the car a bit more as I would have been very happy doing business with them

Ford, Fine perhaps a little pushy, but fine- In the end I bought the Ford (Fiesta). It was just that bit better than the Yaris or the Jazz

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - NARU

Having only just today bought a second hand car, this has been my expereince.

Toyota, helpful and polite but god it took ages.

That was my experience too. After most of a saturday trying to get a decent deal from my local dealer, I rang around a few others when my wife was out Sunday morning. I did a deal over £1k lower (like for like, pre-reg Yaris TR). Described our trade-in accurately over the phone.

Drove over to collect it the following day - very simple transaction.

Local dealer was a little indignant, but I'd given them my target and the failed to get close. The other dealer's car even included satnav (which wife loves).

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - oldroverboy.

Local dealer was a little indignant, but I'd given them my target and the failed to get close. The other dealer's car even included satnav (which wife loves).

When I bought the cruze 2 years ago same from oue local chevrolet dealer when i went over 100 miles to Oxford and saved several £1000.s.

No longer on speaking terms with salesman.

Against that, the follow up call from MG was very courteous and when I explained that getting back into the cruze felt better so that the Mg didn't feel right for me, thanked me and hope they could help in future with one of their other marques. Not pushy and understood my point of view.

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - Nutkey

Kia - that tallies with my experience - I walked out after 5 minutes trying to find someone to talk to

Ford - pretty similar. There's the car, go look at it, can't do a test drive right now.

VW - alright

SEAT - salesman was alright, somewhat let down by his manager who insisted on coming over to meet me and offer me finance again (I had been very clear it was a cash purchase).

Ended up buying from a SEAT dealer 30 miles down the road, which saved me at least 500 - of all the dealers I spoke to, they were the most straightforward.

Edited by Nutkey on 30/07/2014 at 13:33

When buying a car - Reception at dealerships - bathtub tom

Recently went to a Toyota dealer to lok at new or nearly new models. Guy was holding a conversation on his mobile in the last remaining parking space. Looked up when he saw me trying to get in there, but didn't move. I left my car mostly in the space.

Went to reception and told them I'd rang earlier to look at what they'd got - told to take a seat and wait. After ten minutes or so I told reception I'd take a wander round their cars on the forecourt.

A while later, a 'salesman' appeared - guess who, mobile man and started to tell me their high prices were all about the 'buying experience' from their dealership.

Looked surprised when I told him to stuff it!