What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Tourneo Connect - Ford Tourneo Connect - Steamdrivenandy

My wife's Yaris Verso is nearly 10 years old and coming up for replacement. I thought I'd research the Ford TC as it is a newish entry in the market and looks as if it could be a good replacement AND might actually be dual purpose and be able to pull the caravan as well.

However on checking the stats I discovered that diesel TCs have a miniscule towing limit of 1100kg! That's tantamount to checking out a Porsche 911 and being told its top speed is 20mph. Petrol TCs can only pull 900kg and the 7 seat Grand TC is only allowed 845kg.

What on earth are Ford playing at producing a vehicle with obvious appeal to the likes of caravanners but with such low towing limits? As a comparison I checked out the Berlingo which is in the same market segment and that will only pull 1300kg, better, but not good.

So how come these van based cars aren't built to tow, when their appeal is to a section of the public that want to tow? Surely the powertrain is used for much higher weights on other Ford products. Is the rear end of a TC made of plasticine?

Oh and what happened to the automatic version which got mentioned in the pre-launch publicity but doesn't appear in the UK brochure?

Edited by Steamdrivenandy on 28/06/2014 at 14:36

Ford Tourneo Connect - Ford Tourneo Connect - RT

It' uses the Ford Focus platform underneath and has the 1.6TDCi of 95 or 115PS which doesn't endear it that much oomph.

The automatic is only available with the 150PS 1.6 petrol.

Right, I've just come across a bit on the website that mentions the auto being available on the 1.6 petrol, but as far as I can tell there's no mention of automatic in the downloadable brochure. Presumably that means the automatic is no use for towing as a. it's petrol, b. it has a 900kg tow limit.

I sometimes wonder about Ford and the way they spec. cars. They actually entered two TCs in the 2014 Tow Car Awards apparently. That being so you'd think they'd make sure the product had a decent spec. for use in dragging trailers/vans about.

Ford Tourneo Connect - Ford Tourneo Connect - daveyK_UK

My friend attempted to buy a New tourneo connect on Friday and was shocked to be told by his local Ford dealer all he could have off the price was £750 and that was only if he took out finance.

Needless to say Jeff went across town to his Citroen dealer and ordered another brand new Citroen Berlingo Multi space 1.6 VTR 90bhp for £11275.

These van MPV cars are often purchased for people who want value, if Ford don't offer better value with its prices they simply won't sell.

Citroen as usual providing proper discounts to entice buyers.

To support your case DK, I've just looked on Drive the Deal and the Tourneo Connect isn't even mentioned on the Ford list whilst you can have some good deals on Berlingos. Daft!