Volkwagen Polo 1.2 (3cyl) 2004 - Topping up coolant level - guygamps

Daughter away from home driving it, photographed the coolant reservoir which is about 1/2 inch below the minimum line, what she should top it up with? just water? the fluid in there is very pink, but I guess it is antifreeze giving it that colour.

Sorry if it is a numpty question in 30 years of driving I have never had to top up any of my cars apart from oil (obviously) and power steering fluid on one occasion in an old Jag I had.

Guy

Volkwagen Polo 1.2 (3cyl) 2004 - Topping up coolant level - elekie&a/c doctor

The pink antifreeze is the longlife variety.If it is only slightly below min ,just top up with plain water.Keep an eye on the level and buy some antfreeze in the meantime if you need to top up in the future.

Volkwagen Polo 1.2 (3cyl) 2004 - Topping up coolant level - gordonbennet

Arn't there two types of pink/red anti freeze now, incompatible?

Volkwagen Polo 1.2 (3cyl) 2004 - Topping up coolant level - Cyd

Is this the first time it's ever needed topping up?

I would suspect that if it is, then it is high time for a coolant change. Most coolants have a corrosion package good for 5 years and some for 10. We can't be sure which your car has, so I would suggest a change and flush. At 10 years old it would be due anyway, whichever coolant is fitted. Have the system checked or leaks at the same time.

In the meantime, if this is the first time its needed a top up, then topping up with water will do no harm. If you continually top up with water then the coolant concentration will be diluted, possibly to the point where corrosion becomes a real problem.