What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - Bobbin Threadbare

Well I picked up my CR-Z a few hours ago and I thought I'd do a first impression; I'll do another review when I have driven it more extensively too.

Looks good - it is chucking it down here but even covered in rain it is a decent looking car. It's white so I'm probably going to be really precious about muck on it! The DRLs (whichI am generally opposed to) are not obnoxiously bright and sit subtly below the headlamps. The alloys are in perfect nick and the tyres are new. It's a 12 plate but it has a private number on it, which came with it. I wouldn't have put one on myself.

Inside - not as swish as my MX-5 as it's not leathery but it does look very futuristic and the display is excellent; no straining the eyes to look at it and I am not used to computers and displays (MX-5s are minimal on this) but I have adapted very quickly to it. The seats are great; completely supporting my back and I find the legroom just right. Japanese cars are always about the right size for me to be fair. I miss not having the radio controls on the steering wheel but it's a minor niggle.

Boot space is quite good; bigger than a small hatchback and the rear seats fold totally flat which is handy. Standard Honda visibility from the split rear window, which is a bit odd but I am getting used to it very rapidly.

Driving it - it has three modes; Econ, Normal and Sport. I haven't used Econ, mainly staying in Normal. Decent enough acceleration and the Sport button gives a really obvious boost. Bodyroll is absolutely minimal, which I was surprised at, and the brakes are nice and keen. I was expecting a loss of response as you can't really best a MX-5 at this sort of thing (not for sensible money anyway) but I have been pleasantly surprised at that too. It's got some poke! 6 speed manual box too, the only hybrid (to my knowledge) that has one, and very glad I am of that. I tend to drive like I'm in a go-kart and I can pretty much stick to that style (MX-5 habits!!)

It has a very nice gearbox, as good as the MX-5 which is a high compliment indeed. Goes where you want immediately with no hunting or slowness. The drive has been on motorway, town and A6 today, although I haven't messed with the traction control switch in the wet and with a passenger (didn't want to frighten her!)

The ride is very smooth; I am also unused to the lack of road noise! The car is very quiet and in neutral at traffic lights it switches onto start-stop. The battery assists sensibly and MPG is going to be really good, although it'll take me a while to build up my pattern there. The tank isn't huge but again that's a minor thing.

Stereo is pretty good; no Mazda Bose effort but possibly that was a little wasted in a noisy MX-5 anyway!

All in all, I believe I've made a great choice (VED is very low and insurance has dropped by £130) and although I'll miss my MX-5 a lot, the CR-Z ticks all the boxes for sportiness, boot space and MPG. Never thought I'd be bothered by MPG :-D

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - 72 dudes

Great review Bobbin, sounds like you have picked a really suitable car.

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - nortones2

Very interesting note. Look forward to the next installment. I've always fancied trying one. But someone close didn't. The MPG might sway her though.

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - dadbif
Sounds like you are missing you're MX5...
Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - groaver

Good choice for your needs Bobbin.

I once emailed Bose about the stereo in my Honda and I received a reply from them that they do not make car stereos but that it is just the name on another manufacturer's unit.

I don' t know if that is still true.

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - gordonbennet

Well Bobbin, you've stunned me with this unusual choice, RWD simple as can be 2 seater to one of these.

Looking forward to hearing updates in future, hope it does all you ask of it and proves enjoyable to boot.

And there was you leading us to believe you hadn't got two ha'pennies to rub together..:-)

And there was you leading us to believe you hadn't got two ha'pennies to rub together..:-)

I haven't! I'm a teacher; they pay us a pittance and work us into the ground hahah! I got a very good part ex value; spent time researching and timed my purchase carefully. The dealer commented on that; said I must have known about sales targets and desirable vehicles for early summer!!

I know this is quite a change, and yes I do miss my MX-5 but this was a head over heart purchase. As soon as my fellowship ends I will be back to shopping for another MX-5 I suspect!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 08/06/2014 at 11:40

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - corax

I haven't! I'm a teacher; they pay us a pittance and work us into the ground hahah!

But what about all the holidays?

I know, I know you have to do all the marking :)

Car sounds good.

Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - bear807

Good overview! both very differnt car, certainly this is a more sensible car with differnt look to it haha!

This is my longer term review for my CR-Z. I have been commuting in it for a couple of months now and I'm really pleased with it.

Comfort - it's very comfortable; I have a return commute of 90 miles a day and I have to use the car to travel between places for work. So far the seats have been very comfy and supportive for my back. I have been a passenger too (I let my partner drive it on a long journey) and that was relaxing!

Fuel - fuel economy has risen and risen, which is good. It seems to have stabilised itself out at 45.5mpg which is pretty good for my driving style. It's certainly better economy than I was getting from my MX-5. I do get a little petrol allowance from work which helps!

Performance - acceleration is where I miss my MX-5 a little. The Honda isn't as nippy but my comment about the excellent gearbox stands. I have whizzed around the Lancashire moors and Cumbrian backroads which is very enjoyable as the CR-Z really doesn't roll or wallow. Great fun!

I am glad that I bought it, although it is very sensible....it's been really useful for doing up my house (you can't do a worthwhile trip to the tip with a two seater convertible) and it is more comfortable for longer journeys. I am also pleased about the lower insurance and VED!
Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - dadbif
Great review on how good an MX5 is!!! Go out and buy yourself a cheap MK1, then you have the best of both worlds, one to polish and one to drive.
You know you want to!
This has crossed my mind but I have nowhere to keep it and I'd only do it if someone else paid the insurance!
Honda CR-Z - New car - very first impressions - gordonbennet

Classic insurance if old enough, mega cheap, and can include commute for when the sun does its thing.