What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate, 2007 reg. - Focus oil leak after clutch change. - argybargy
Hi Folks
Had my clutch changed about six weeks ago by a retired mechanic whom I've used before; thus far, he's never let me down.
After a round trip of about 600 miles on the new clutch, I happened to notice oil on the driveway; or what I thought was oil. I took a look underneath and immediately below the gearbox end of the nearside driveshaft, on the bottom of the transmission was a quantity of fluid, which again I assumed was oil. I rang my mechanic and told him; he said he'd have a look, and meantime I wiped the transmission clean. Couple of days later he came along, had a look and announced that the stuff on the driveway was grease from the driveshaft which had burned off on my long journey, and that after all this excess grease was gone there would be no more leaks; but to keep an eye on it anyhow.
Week or two later and I'm still getting the occasional drip of what, to my untutored eye looks like oil, and thinking maybe this needs further attention.
Question: is it feasible that the leaking stuff might, indeed be grease? He tells me that he would have replaced the transmission fluid with whatever was in the box prior to the change of clutch, probably with stuff which is red (MTX?); so it can't be that, and it certainly isn't in an area where one might expect engine oil. Could it be that the driveshaft oil seal is leaking, and if so does the Focus take another type of transmission fluid that to all intents and purposes looks just like oil?
Slightly perplexed...not sure how to proceed.

Edited by argybargy on 27/05/2014 at 21:36

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate, 2007 reg. - Focus oil leak after clutch change. - bathtub tom

>>announced that the stuff on the driveway was grease from the driveshaft which had burned off on my long journey,

That's a good one, and another:

>> he would have replaced the transmission fluid with whatever was in the box prior to the change of clutch

I'd guess it's gearbox oil from a driveshaft oil seal. The driveshafts have to be removed to change the clutch. Perhaps an oil seal was damaged.

Find out how you check your gearbox oil level (don't ask your retired mechanic) and keep an eye on it.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate, 2007 reg. - Focus oil leak after clutch change. - argybargy

Thanks for that, Tom. Not that it makes any difference, but its actually the gearbox end of the longer offside driveshaft that the oil/ grease seems to be coming from, and not the nearside shaft. Its not losing much, but if after a couple more weeks its still leaking I'll insist that he changes the seal.

Checking the levels could be a problem due to access, but I'll do my best.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate, 2007 reg. - Focus oil leak after clutch change. - Peter.N.

Just check that the shaft is fully pushed into the diff, if it is as mentioned it needs an oil seal.

Thanks, Peter.