What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Engine slow to rev down - David 1956

Hi my 04 plate Ford Mondeo Ghia automatic is having having rev problems. It starts ok and revs up, but is very slow in allowing the revs to decrease. It would seem the throttle cable is sticking, but I've checked this by hand - working the linkage and the it does go back to the stops, but the revs take their time coming down to tick over.

I've saturated the whole cable, linkage with WD40, but no avail. Any ideas chums as to what is causing this?

Ford Mondeo - Engine slow to rev down - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this a problem or an observation?Most cars have an "idle decrease buffer"to stop the engine stalling.If there is no prblem when driving,then there is nothing to worry about.

Hi and thanks for reply. It is a problem as my car is an automatic and when I take my foot off the accelerator, the revs don't decrese and return to idle immediately, they loiter at 2000 rpm then slowly die off. I'm having to brake hard seeing as how its an auto box.

Ford Mondeo - Engine slow to rev down - elekie&a/c doctor

I would remove the idle control valve located at front of engine (2 bolts),give it a good clean,refit it then disconnect the battery for 5 mins for the engine control unit to re-learn values.Worth a try.

Thank you for your help