What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - Steveieb

Need a couple of tyres for the A4

Understand that Hankook s are fitted OE to Mercedes and Kuhmo to other German marques.

The hankooks are a little more expensive than the Kuhmos.

Which would you recommend?

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - craig-pd130

I fitted Kuhmo Ecstas to my previous Mondeo IV TDCI to replace the factory-fit Michelin Pilots. The Kumhos were just as good in terms of handling, grip and braking in all conditions, and much, much cheaper (£85 each vs £130 each).

Can't comment on the longevity, though. I would say that Michelin Pilot Premacys lasted well over 30,000 miles on the front of the Mondeo IV, and my current Volvo, which is excellent considering a) the size, weight and FWD nature of both cars and b) the way I drive.

So if you plan to keep the car for 2 or 3 more years and 30-odd thousand miles, the Michelins are good value.

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - SteveLee

Both respected brands - buy whatever's cheaper.

The Kumhos on my Jag XJ8 were far better thatn the OE Pirellis - particularly in the wet.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Understand that Hankooks are fitted as OE to Mercedes and are the choice of local taxi drivers who find they last as long as Michelins.

There is a small premium on price which by all accounts is justified

Thanks again

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - Hamsafar

I had a look at what various Audi AO recommendations are by entering reg. no. on:

www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-m...l

then bought them for a little over half price from tyreleader.co.uk

Falken ZIex ZE914 Ecorun and Kumho Ecsta KU31 & KU39 were the mid-range options for my A8.

Edited by Hamsafar on 13/05/2014 at 22:21

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - Auristocrat

Kumho are OE on some versions of the VW Polo. We had the Pirelli P Zero Nero's replaced with Kumho Ecsta's on our previous Mazda 2, and they were a lot quieter.

Currently got OE fit Kumho's on the Mazda's replacement - a Hyundai i20. Absolutely fine.

Hankooks have been OE on some Fords (including the Mondeo) for a few years now.

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/05/2014 at 22:38

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - Happy Blue!

Original fit Continentals were replaced by Kumhos on the Smax for two swaps and recently replaced by Michelins. Kumhos did not last quite as long and were slightly noisier but the saving in price makes up for it. I am disappointed with the EU tyre ratings as the Michelin should be much quieter than the Kumho.

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - Mike H

I am disappointed with the EU tyre ratings as the Michelin should be much quieter than the Kumho.

I think you'll find that the noise ratings are external noise, not inside the car. The internal noise can be affected by all sorts of things and will be different on every car, whereas the external noise should be relatively consistent.

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - craig-pd130

I'm currently running Cooper Zeons on the front of the V60, replacing the factory Michelin Premacy 2s. I can't tell any difference in grip or handling. Road noise is lower with the Coopers (although the Michelins did get noisier as the tread got thinner).

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - skidpan

Have had both Khumo and Hankook in the past, both gave perfect service.

From memory the Khumos (think they were Ecstas) were quieter but the Hankooks had a less sporty tread pattern and were better in the wet.

Would buy either again over Pirellis, Michelins, Contis all of which I have found overpriced and noisy.

Thanks to everyone for their experience.

I chose the Hankooks and am delighted with the results.

They are the eco version made surprisingly in Hungary. It has improved the ride considerably over the previous Pirelli 6000.

A little more expensive than the Kuhmo but a great result

Audi A4 - Kuhmo or Hankook - oldtoffee

>>>From memory the Khumos (think they were Ecstas) were quieter but the Hankooks had a less sporty tread pattern and were better in the wet.

Had Kumho Solus (allegedly All Season) on my Santa Fe, noisy, overly hard and lumpy especially when cold. Replaced with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, transformed ride and wet weather performance. My wife has bought an i10 and the half worn Kumhos on that are hard and pretty grim in the wet so we're thinking of Hankooks which seems to score better or much better across various tests.