Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Happy Blue!

Stupid mistake. Came home yesterday from a holiday with a petrol rental car. Long day (getting up at 0130 UK time) and getting to bed at 22.30.

Went to get fuel just now and put 62l of unleaded into the S-Max which has the TDCi engine. Drove 0.5 mile and engine cut out. I knew as soon as it happened what I had done. RAC coming to the rescue at a cost of £199.

Doh!

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Trilogy

I expect you are now Unhappy Red! ;)

I leave that for the MAN UTD supporters.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Trilogy

They'll be happier now! One game too early. :(

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - xtrailman

I might be wrong but i believe green flag cover misfueling at no cost.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - barney100

Bloke who took the petrol out of my tank reckoned he did quite a few every day! Bet he flogged the petrol too.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Avant

So easy to do - there but for the grace of God go most of us. Our sympathies.

I thought Ford was the one manufacturer which fitted different fuel filler caps so that that couldn't happen. Clearly not.... I think I've seen some aftermarket fitment which you can put on to your filler - anyone know of it?

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - craig-pd130

So easy to do - there but for the grace of God go most of us. Our sympathies.

I thought Ford was the one manufacturer which fitted different fuel filler caps so that that couldn't happen. Clearly not.... I think I've seen some aftermarket fitment which you can put on to your filler - anyone know of it?

Good point, my 2008 Mondeo IV had a filler 'throat' that would only accept a diesel pump nozzle, it had a little metal flap in it that closed it off until you inserted the nozzle partway. Wonder why it's not on the S-Max, which I thought was built on the same production line?

@Happyblue, sorry to hear about your woes anyway.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Smileyman

have you checked with your motor insurance, mis-fuelling may be covered.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Gibbo_Wirral

Insurance Choice breakdown cover also covers mis-fueling:

breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/compare.php

Well RAC did a very good job and I was back on the road a couple of hours later. Minus£215 plus the fuel wasted. Not covered by RAC and not checked my insurance. No special bit in the fuel pipe to stop this but I have learnt my lesson - leave the car full of fuel when I go away!

Update - nothing to report; car driving as well as ever.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Gibbo_Wirral

Did they recommend changing the fuel filter?

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - Hamsafar

I've never really understood the rationale for that. It's not like you filled up with solid particles.

Oh no! Petrol into Diesel - gordonbennet

I've never really understood the rationale for that. It's not like you filled up with solid particles.

I think the idea is that the filter is changed before the engine is restarted (plus the fuel lines blowing through), as you rightly say, little or no point once that 1/2 pint of almost pure petrol has been through the pump and injectors doing its rapid bleaching action.

Those debowser lads must be on one of the best fiddles going, they'll know roughly what percentages are involved, and what to do with the excess too, good luck to 'em.

They did recommend changing the filter. As the car is due a service within the next month, then it will be done then.

The RAC man sucked all the fuel out of the tank, even wiggling the fairly narrow pipe around to suck all the puddles up in the tank and sucked more fuel out of the system via a connection under the bonnet. Having put in about 10 litres of diesel he then sucked some of that through as well, so that when the car was started, pure diesel hit the pumps as soon as possible. It worked as the car started within a couple of seconds of the key turning and has been fine ever since.

One does wonder at the economics of it. He sucked out about 70 litres of which 62.5 was unleaded. He said that is is taken to a special dump from where it is sent to be re-refined. I suppose the dilution ratio for each job is different, but I I wonder how much of that fuel could simply be re-used in 2-stroke engines or similar?