What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - Woody37

I recently replaced a 110K 03 plate CRV with an 07 plate (same model) with 58,000 miles on the clock.

It potters around town perfectly but on the open road and motorway when accelerating it has a quite viloent shake between 45 and 65 MPH.

Above that it smooths out but in normal A road driving the shake is most disconcerting and clearly needs resolving.

I have had the tracking checked and wheels balanced, but no change.

The steering and car itself shake and it seems to eminate from the left hand front side. It does so under load, accelerating or going up gradients. Throttle off and it disappears.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - gordonbennet

I assume you've checked all the obvious, like tyres and wheels etc, maybe swap front and rear wheels over see if anything changes?.

Drive shafts possible, and check the centre bearing that the shorter of the two drive shafts slots into.

Have you checked to see you don't have a leaking or split CV boot, either way if the drive shafts are suspect then you could always repack the CV's, inner and outer, with the correct CV grease and see if there's any improvement at all.

My son had this on his 05 plate CRV, but it seems to be a problem that happens around 100k normally, we fitted exchange replacements from a motor factor, took us around a couple of hours the first one, you really don't want to know what price Honda charge for these, be seated if you enquire there.

To be fair the existing drive shafts didn't seem unduly worn to me, and i would have repacked with grease first, i've had success with this many times, but my lads choice, Honda themselves diagnosed drive shafts when it went in for service and renewing did cure it so don't ncessarily expect to find loose and shaking joints

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/04/2014 at 04:15

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - xtrailman

Check the engine mounts.

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - Peter.N.

This sort of problem is nearly always caused by tyres, if the have been properly balanced and the problem still exists its more than likely that you have a faulty tyre, check them for bulges, not only in the sidewalls but als on the tread, jack the wheel up just clear of the road and rotate it, watch the gap between the tyre and road and make sure its constant for a full revolution, my guess it that one won't be. This fault is caused by ply seperation.

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - Woody37

Thanks for the replies.

The tyres are new Dunlops and if it were the tyres why would the shaking cease if you lift the throttle?

I do suspect the CV joint or axle problems, but a broken engine mount is certainly plausible.

It is going back to the Garage next week.

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - SteveLee

Prop shaft needle roller bearings breaking up are not uncommmon.

Honda CRV 06 Manual - Shake Under Acceleration - madf

EGR valve.