What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia MK1 1999 - Ford Galaxy Air Con / Relays - galbrc

Hoping someone can save the last few strands of hair I have left!

I have a Galaxy Ghia 2.3 and My aircon isn't working.

The short version of a long story is this.

My Local Ford main dealer has proved the gas system and compressor to be fine. Local auto air-con expert had the aircon working by shorting across pressure switch connector, but new pressure switch didn't make any difference.

The general concensus is that it's the relay. This is where it gets interesting!

I have had the fusebox / relay racks down and the really odd thing is I only have 5 relays for the whole car. I have seen other photos of Galaxy relay racks and there are usually dozens, mine only has five yet everything but the aircon is working just fine! Relay position R12 on the centre panel is supposed to be the aircon relay, but there is no relay R12 and no wiring or connector going to the R12 position. There are no plugs or spare wires loose behind the panels or strapped up, all the looms look untouched. There's just nothing. Neither is there anything going to any of the other positions, except:

R14 middle panel has a relay No.185.

R26 back panel has a relay no. 100,

R27 back panel is a relay no. 30,

R23 back panel is a relay no. 100,

R24 back panel is a relay 167.

And there are three small relay 404s in position R10 and R11 on the middle panel which apparently control the horn and full throttle shut off.

Please can anyone shed any light on this for me? I have spoken to my local Ford and VW garages, but got more sense and less head scratching from the chimps at the zoo. The aircon must have a relay, right? I'd really REALLY like to know where it is!

Thanks to anyone who knows

Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia MK1 1999 - Ford Galaxy Air Con / Relays - elekie&a/c doctor

Galaxy models of this age can be a bit of a problem trying to sort out the a/c system as there are a few variations of wiring circuits.The a/c compressor is controlled by 2 relays.One is the wot (wide open throttle) and the compressor relay.Unfortunately there is no designation on the relay board as to which does what.I don't quite understand the fact that the a/c works if the pressure switch is bridged?This tends to suggest that the rest of the circuit is ok or perhaps there is inadequate gas pressure in the system.There is no way a main dealer could fix a car this old as the system has no diagnostic function.It needs a techie to follow the correct wiring diagram and work through the circuits step by step.Is this car fitted with climate control and/or auto transmission?This also makes a difference to the circuit operation.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your input.

It's a manual transmission with normal manual air con, not climate.

The a/c wasn't working when I bought it, and I too thought it was probably the gas so I took it to a local garage to have it regassed but the guy connected up and said the gas was already OK, and suggested possibly a problem with the compressor. I took it to the Ford dealer who tested the compressor and re-checked the gas, both OK they said, so it's probably the wiring, a switch or a relay but it wouls be expensive to continue poking around. So I decided to use a local man who'd been recommended.

I was standing there feeling the lovely cold air from the vents when he had the bridge on the pressure switch plug, and still standing there when he was swearing that the new switch didn't cure the problem. He put the old switch back on and said probably the wiring or most likely the relay, and he didn't charge me since he didn't fix it so I let him drive off. Since then I've been stumped, I thought changing the relays out was the next logical, not to mention cheapest and simplest step. If only I could find them! Are there any other fuse boards or relay panels possibly hiding elsewhere? I've looked in the usual places but no luck so far. Thanks again BTW

Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia MK1 1999 - Ford Galaxy Air Con / Relays - elekie&a/c doctor

The pressure switch on these is a dual function device.It will switch the a/c system off if it detects insufficient gas pressure,to prevent the compressor operating .It will also bring the cooling fans on high speed if the gas pressure gets to a pre determined high value,usually max a/c cooling in high ambient temp conditions.If the system works ok with the switch bridged out,then the rest of the circuitry must be ok,including the relays.A possible situation is that the switch is not "reading " the pressure correctly.It could be that the pin in the centre of the switch is not depressing the schraeder valve adequately in the filter drier,or the valve is faulty,so it can't see any gas pressure.I would be taking a close look at the screw on fitting on the drier.hth

Ford Galaxy 2.3 Ghia MK1 1999 - Ford Galaxy Air Con / Relays - injection doc
If my memory serves me right there is also an ambient temp sensor that hangs behind the front bumper close to the near side.
I have fixed several of these in the past where these have been ripped out or damaged and overlooked as part of the Ac system

As for the location it's closer to the N/side and at lower bumper level. It's also very small. Often gets ripped out in snow.

Thanks again guys, I suspected as much to be honest, I never had much faith in the relay hypothesis. I will turn my attention to the sensor / drier / pressure switch situations and get back with news.