Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - Jono21

Wonder if anyone can help me locate a front-end problem with a 02 plate 1.6 Focus.

A distinct hum/droning sound comes from front wheels when travelling, noice increasing with speed and particularly when steering left. I do some work on my cars so know a bit about bearing/shafts, so my immediate thought was wheel bearings. I took apart the n/s left hub and the bearing is fine. The o/s bearing also appears ok with a simple test on the wheel for play/grinding, all seems in good shape.

Next, wondered about brakes - front brakes also seem fine, not stuck or obstructed that I can see.

I'm a little stumped. Currently I'm now wondering about the central support bearing on the o/s driveshaft. Does anyone think the symptoms suggest this could be damaged?

I also heard the gearbox could be the issue - what could be the issue here? I know less about this.

Any other thoughts as to what could be wrong/where to look next? Frustrating!

thanks in advance for any advice!

Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - Peter.N.

I would say wheel bearing, probably the o/s. The case hardening fails on them and the surface gets pitted but it will only be noisy with the weight of the vehicle on it. You can't tell by looking at it unless you take the bearing apart.

Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - Jono21

cheers Peter. But wouldn't you be able to feel play in the wheel if the bearing was shot? Both are very stable and spin cleanly.. Thanks

Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - piggy

cheers Peter. But wouldn't you be able to feel play in the wheel if the bearing was shot? Both are very stable and spin cleanly.. Thanks

When I had a similar noise on a car I was told to try the rocking and spinning tests. Both wheels seemed normal. In the end I solved it by driving the car a few miles,stopping,and then feeling the brake disks. The faulty side will be much hotter. Do this with care though,discs can get very hot!

Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - bathtub tom

I solved it by driving the car a few miles,stopping,and then feeling the brake disks. The faulty side will be much hotter. Do this with care though,discs can get very hot!

That would be more indicative of a sticky brake.

Ford Focus 1.6 02 plate - possible bearing/drive-shaft damage on 1.6 Focus? - bathtub tom

I would say wheel bearing, probably the o/s.

Years ago, I would've agreed with you. Modern cars seem to flout this 'rule' and I find it's more likely to be the n/s nowadays. I don't have a clue why.