Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - EDW2000

My father (in his 70's but still good driver) is thinking about getting rid of his S40 Mk1 which is now tired with 150k miles.

He has about £6k to spend. There is a big auction place near him in Peterborough.

He likes the looks of the S40 Mkll but having read the review here it looks to have a ton of faults/recalls etc. He was thinking of a petrol engine with manual box, base model.

I thought maybe a Ford Focus for the same money would be a better bet.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - 72 dudes

The base model petrol engine was a 1.6 with 99 BHP and is rather gutless. The 1.8 in SE spec would be a far better bet and uses no more petrol in real terms

The SE gets so much more equipment than an S on pre mid-2007 facelift models.

However, there's little point in private buyers buying at auction these days (see separate thread).

The same money would get your father a newer Focus, both cars handle and ride nicely. Although the S40 was based on Focus underpinnings, the two cars feel different with the Volvo having that premium feel.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Collos25

Depends what you call gutless it will break the speed limit without any problem and will carry four people and their luggage as fast as most people want go.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - pd

The main problems tend to be electrical things. The electronic key locks can play up, the stereo is unique and can play up (amps and CD changer can jam) but they're generally not too bad.

The 1.8 petrol is the same engine as the Focus/Mondeo and is OK The 1.6 is acceptable but feels and sounds a bit strained and involves more gear changing. The 1.8 is just more relaxing to drive. There is also the 2.4 5-cylinder Volvo unit which is very relaxed but can like a drink.

Overall, they're not bad cars, but more expensive then they go wrong than the old S40.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - skidpan

Depends what you call gutless it will break the speed limit without any problem and will carry four people and their luggage as fast as most people want go.

Most modern small petrols are gutless. They have a relatively narrow power band and carry a huge amount of weight compared to cars of previous eras. Driving at 70 mph or keeping up with normal traffic is not a problem in any modern car, its engine flexibilty that is the problem. Ask a 1600cc Volvo S40 to make a quick overtaking move and you will be disapointed, very disapointed. Drop a few gears and you may get a little extra forward motion but by then it will be too late.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Collos25

So as I said the average normal person will find it quite quick and powerful enough.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - skidpan

So as I said the average normal person will find it quite quick and powerful enough.

But the average person needs to overtake occationally on UK A and B roads. They are not quick enough for me in that respect.

But the average person needs to overtake occationally on UK A and B roads. They are not quick enough for me in that respect.

A 1.6 is more than fast enough you really want to look at your driving style.

The difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 0-60 is 1sec if you are already travelling at say 40mph the difference in time to 60 is a fraction of that.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - EDW2000

However, there's little point in private buyers buying at auction these days (see separate thread).

Which thread is that?

Thanks.

1. But the average person needs to overtake occasionally on UK A and B roads. They are not quick enough for me in that respect.

2. The difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 0-60 is 1sec if you are already travelling at say 40mph the difference in time to 60 is a fraction of that.

Point1. I think I know a little about driving on public roads having had a full licence for almost 40 years. We all need to overtake from time to time and safe overtaking means getting past a quicly as possible and back onto the left side of the road. In a smallish engined heavy car, like most 1.6 hatches today, this cannot be accomplished unless you are absolutely revving the nuts off the engine and using several gears, this is not a pleasant way to drive. In a larger engined car it is safely acomplished with none or little gear changing. In my 1.4 140 PS Seat Leon TSI I can go from 30 to well over 100 mph (if it were legal) in 4th very quickly, brilliant gear for overtaking.

Point 2. People still jkeep insiting that the 0 - 60 time is a true measure of a cars performance, it is not. Most diesel cars have 0 - 60 times that are quite a bit slower than thier petrol equivalents but in the real world the drivability and overtaking ability of the diesel is far better.

At the end of the day what right do you have to say I should look at my driving style, you don't even know me. And long may that continue.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - KB.

At the end of the day what right do you have to say I should look at my driving style, you don't even know me. And long may that continue.

:-)

I bow to your superior knowledge.I realy do not care if you have been driving as long as you say you have I have been driving longer all over the world and with many different vehicles It does not make me or you a good driver.So according to you a diesel is slower at overtaking but is better and safer than a faster petrol doing the same thing .

I bow to your superior knowledge.I realy do not care if you have been driving as long as you say you have I have been driving longer all over the world and with many different vehicles It does not make me or you a good driver.So according to you a diesel is slower at overtaking but is better and safer than a faster petrol doing the same thing .

Clearly you are totally incapable of reading what I write.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY, THIS IS WHAT I WROTE IN MY LAST POST

Most diesel cars have 0 - 60 times that are quite a bit slower than their petrol equivalents but in the real world the drivability and overtaking ability of the diesel is far better.

So where did I say to quote your post " a diesel is slower at overtaking".

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - galileo

Point 2. People still jkeep insiting that the 0 - 60 time is a true measure of a cars performance, it is not. Most diesel cars have 0 - 60 times that are quite a bit slower than thier petrol equivalents but in the real world the drivability and overtaking ability of the diesel is far better.

It sounds as if you can't be bothered to change gear to overtake? Years ago I had petrol cars with big engines (Ford Zephyrs, 3.8 Jaguar) with lots of torque for overtakes. However, the potential repair costs for diesels and the running costs of big petrol cars mean I'm quite content to use the gears in a smaller engined petrol model.

Edited by galileo on 19/03/2014 at 13:28

It sounds as if you can't be bothered to change gear to overtake

Yet another person who clearly cannot read. If you cannot read or cannot be bothered to try and understand what has been posted I would suggest you get some education.

Went to BCA, good prices for Moto' cars but buyers commision of around 10%, I bet the dealers don't pay that.

Any other auctions with lower charges?

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - 72 dudes

Went to BCA, good prices for Moto' cars but buyers commision of around 10%, I bet the dealers don't pay that.

Any other auctions with lower charges?

Don't know and I don't know how to link to the other auction thread, but the gist was private buyer's fees, ghost bidding and the fact that auction prices are much inflated compared to the bargains that could be has 10/15 years ago.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - galileo

It sounds as if you can't be bothered to change gear to overtake

Yet another person who clearly cannot read. If you cannot read or cannot be bothered to try and understand what has been posted I would suggest you get some education.

Read and understood (with the benefit of education in the years before all the exams were dumbed down and when only the top 3% went to University). As you clearly think instant diesel torque is essential for overtaking without changing gear, it seemed a reasonable inference.

(I have driven diesels too, so aware of the way they drive.)

Edited by galileo on 19/03/2014 at 22:40

As you clearly think instant diesel torque is essential for overtaking without changing gear, it seemed a reasonable inference.

As before you have inferred something rather than quoting the facts.

I never said instant diesel torque was essential. In fact if you had have read my post you would have spotted that it contained info about the drivability of my Seat Leon 1.4 TSi. This has far better overtaking abilities than any turbo diesel I have ever driven simply because it has a wider power band, 1500 to 6000 rpm.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Avant

Please keep it polite, and stick to making suggestions to help EDW2000 with his query.

I'd agree with those who say that auctions are risky and/or poor value for private buyers. EDW2000, your father will probably be just as well off with a Focus as a Volvo, with the exception of the seats. Volvo seats are among the best in the business, and if comfort is a priority he'll want another Volvo, although not from an auction. He could look at the S60 too: I doubt if a secondhand D60 costs much more than an S40 of similar vintage. He should go for petrol rather than diesel.

Alternatively a Japanese petrol such as a Honda, Mazda or Toyota will be worth a look: all these have a good reputation for reliability.

Edited by Avant on 21/03/2014 at 22:14

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - groaver

Haha!

This site is like Abe Simpson's nursing home at times. ;)

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - corax

This site is like Abe Simpson's nursing home at times. ;)

I've always thought of Avant as Sgt Wilson, trying to keep the other various hotheaded members of Dads Army under control :)

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - groaver

Then we're doomed!

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Bobbin Threadbare

Stupid boy(s)!

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Happy Blue!

Don't tell him, Pike!

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - thunderbird

Collos has a long history of not reading posts and calling people stupid. The simple fact that he failed to read the posts in this thread fully and then put his own incorrect interpertation on them hardly surprises me.

Best to ignore him, he might simply go away.

Volvo S40 Second generation (2004–2012) - Possible used buy (from auction) - Avant

"I've always thought of Avant as Sgt Wilson, trying to keep the other various hotheaded members of Dad's Army under control :)"

Yes - but remember that when Wilson said 'Would you mind falling in please, in three ranks. Thank you so much" - the platoon all fell in. Politeness can be effective!