What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - sikas

so im looking into buying a new car, pretty sure what i want is a 4-door diesel saloon, as were a family of 4, we already have a small economical honda jazz for running to the shops n that, but i need a car for occasional business trips and for when we go visit family at the opposite end of the country

my 3 options are

05 honda accord 2.2cdti 75k miles £4k

07 lexus IS 220D SE 105k miles £5.5k

07 mazda6 2.0TD 85k miles £3.5k

so which would you choose?

ultimately i want to be frugal with my budget but want something reliable, reasonably economical and that will b comfortable on long trips

if ud like to suggest a 4th option id like to hear

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - Avant

Of those three I'd go for the Accord. I don't think the Lexus is worth the extra cost, particularly with its higher mileage; and avoid Mazda diesels like the plague. There are well-documented serious problems with this engine.

Is your annual mileage with this car going to be over about 15,000 a year? If not, consider a petrol-engined car which will usually be cheaper than the equivalent diesel.

If it were me I'd add the Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia and Volvo S60 / V50 to the list.

nah my annual mileage is likely to be nearer the 10k mark

why diesel? well most petrol models ive seen in that price range already have 80k miles and isnt 100k miles considered high for a petrol? (i may be being naieve here) whereas for a diesel even 200k miles isnt too high - what im saying is, i like the idea of whatever car i choose having it for at least another 5-6+ years

Edited by sikas on 12/03/2014 at 23:44

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - artill

Honda USA have a site for people to report their high mileage.

automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/owner-stories.as...d

There are some very high mileage cars here, not one a diesel, so dont worry about mileage on a petrol engine

suppose the other reason for thinking i should choose a diesel over a petrol is economy

i..e a

2.0 petrol Honda Accord = 38mpg

2.2 CDTI = 52mpg

and road tax is £80-100 cheaper

and on difference on the lexus petrol vs diesel model is even more apparent

28mpg vs 44mpg and £200 roadtax vs £475!

(figues taken from parkers.co.uk)

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - mss1tw

isnt 100k miles considered high for a petrol?

Not since 1994...

As long as it's been serviced correctly there's no reason a petrol shouldn't do well over 100k

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - stivvy

Why diesel ? Many posts suggest only if you clock up at least 15/20k annual mileage. Mainly I gather for sound technical reasons related to modern diesel engines such as those in your listed options.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - scot22

I've become like The Ancient Mariner now with the number of times I say to people avoid diesel unless both your mileage and driving style justify it. I will never again buy a diesel and only wish I'd known about forums and got advice before I bought one. The car I still like but the diesel element NO !!!!!

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - artill

A quick look at autotrader suggests a 2.0 petrol accord for the same sort of budget could be a year or so newer, and quite a lot lower mileage. Yet they will still do 40 on a run, and are about as reliable as cars come. for your use, and stated budget, thats what i would go for.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - Collos25

The OP is buying an old car with plenty of miles so an element of pot luck comes into it ,condition I think is more important than make and keep away from diesels.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - Ronneh

Lexus... it's the Japanese Mercedes!

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - SteveLee

Wouldn't touch the Mazda with a barge pole - well known DPF regen probs resulting in engine failure. The Honda is okay in most areas, The Lexus looks nice and has a nice interior, but the Toyota Avensis with the stunning T180 diesel engine is a better motorway car. Bang for your buck you'd be best off with a top-of-the range Mondeo.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - tourantass
I am in a similar position, I reckon hiring a car for the occasional trips may be the way to go, as there are some good deals out there. Just a thought.
if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda 6 petrol would be a decent choice for 10k miles per year. I ran at 1.8 TS, doing about 20k mile p.a for almost entirely motorway driving - it netted me about 38mpg and didn't cost anything but comestibles like wiper blades. It wouldn't have been more economical for me to get a diesel; it wouldn't have paid itself back in tax or extra purchase price. Also I never had the worry of DPFs. Really spacious and comfortable too.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - Cluedo

Personally I am with Avant and would go the Honda route.

My Brother has had nothing but trouble with his Avensis diesel and I do not think Toyota have been very successful with diesel engines - maybe why they have now started to buy them from BMW (or exchange as part of hybrid technology swap).

Personally I still believe that Hondas are still some of the best engineered cars on the road and seem to last for ever. I had a petrol Accord and as the advert said - isn't it great when things just work. And thats what happened - every part of the car seems to have been well thought and just worked as it should and kept on working.

Honda for me - all day long if I was spending my own money.

if u had a choice which would you buy?...and why? - barney100

I'd have a look at a Mwecedes C class, there is a good choice about and you don't have a cam belt to worry about. out of your 3 the Mazda looks interesting.