What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - Manup

At the moment I have a 1999 1.8 petrol Ford Focus Estate. I do in the region of 22000 miles per year of which there is quite a few towing miles.

I think I can save around £700 to £1000 in fuel per year, if I get a diesel estate. I have got it down to 2 and it is either a Mondeo or Vectra.

My budget is somewhere between £1500/£2000 which has me looking at a 2005/2004 model.

Which would be the better one to go for?

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - elekie&a/c doctor

Both cars at this age will be showing some signs of tired and neglected engines and mechanicals with possible expensive repairs looming,especially on the diesel injection systems and dual mass flywheels and clutches.I would go for a petrol Mondeo.The fuel costs may be more but the repair costs will be less than a diesel.hth

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - iFocus

Both cars at this age will be showing some signs of tired and neglected engines and mechanicals with possible expensive repairs looming,especially on the diesel injection systems and dual mass flywheels and clutches.I would go for a petrol Mondeo.The fuel costs may be more but the repair costs will be less than a diesel.hth

I agree with the above.

At the age/mileage you're looking at the fuel saving will be likely spending money on replacing turbos, injectors or DMFs.

And it'll soon dent any savings made for a year or two after.

To put it into context, I owned a 2009 Golf TDI and I do 15-6000 miles a year, and it needed a new DMF at just under £900. Which would've oblitered any fuel savings for the next 2 years.

I now drive a petrol Honda...

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - Ronneh

I would go for the mondeo myself. My experience with relaibility is that Ford > Vauxhall. But I could be wrong!

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - Snakey

I'll stand up for the Vectra! I've had 3, albeit all hatcbacks and found them comfortable and economical.

I've found them no more, or no less reliable than the Fords I've owned, and repair costs have been painless as they are fairly common. I find Ford seats so hard and uncomfortable now but the Vx ones I can sit in all day.

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - aylesby

Just comming up to 145,000 in my 54 Titanium X estate. It had 10,000 miles on it when it came to me. It is easily the best car I have ever had. We buy any car offered £650 for it last month. So I will keep it so long as it delivers the 50 mpg and cheap service bills that I have got used to.

My second favourite is a Vauxhall Carlton automatic estate. You may struggle to find one of these.

Ford Mondeo Estate or Vauxhall Vectra - Diesel Estate which one? - Scottie Boy

Without a doubt go for the Ford